• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Charger Front Suspension

MoparHusker

Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
It has been a while since I posted. I finally got the 440 back from the machine shop about 7 weeks ago. I decided that I probably want to redo the k member and then put the engine together and mount it up and slide it all under the car.

I have read through a number of the posts on here and have done anymore of searches. Does anyone have a good video or website that explains what all the parts are on a front suspension and what they do? Just want to understand how all these parts work together.

I know I need to replace all of the bushings as they are in terrible shape. Do I go with poly or rubber? I remember seeing a post that talked about certain bushings might be best to do as rubber and the rest could be poly. I have also seen that using tubular control arms to provide more stability and improve handling. Can I just replace the upper control arms or would I also need to replace the lowers? Or can I replace the uppers and then add a stiffening kit to the lowers? I was looking at the QA-1. Are there other quality manufacturers? Should I replace the sway bar? How big should a person go?

I am not planning any extreme driving, but want it to feel solid and a little closer to a modern car feel.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

I am not planning any extreme driving, but want it to feel solid and a little closer to a modern car feel.

How much money do you want to blow? You can improve it a lot with just a stock rebuild, larger torsion bars, and a larger front sway bar... but for modern car feel you'll have to upgrade substantially. The big payoff for modern car feel is to go to a system with in rack and pinion steering.

if you're looking for improved handling, you should consider solid or poly "ISO" mounts for the K frame

How much money do you want to blow? You can improve it a lot with just a stock rebuild, larger torsion bars, and a larger front sway bar... but for modern car feel you'll have to upgrade substantially. The big payoff for modern car feel is to go to a system with in rack and pinion steering.
I own a 1974 RoadrunnerGTX, I went with the large torsion bars, and PST polygraphite front suspension and steering kit. Poly K member mounts, Borgeson steering box. Drives and handles wonderful, install a rear sway bar if yours didn’t come with one from the factory.

Auto Transport Service
Back