• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 driveshaft questions....

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Guys, its time to buy or have built a driveshaft for my 73 and I am wanting to know what is needed. My 72 904 car has a original driveshaft with a big counter weight as part of the driveshaft. Is that weight needed for my 73, 440 with A833 to an 8 3/4 rear. In the photo are two shafts that I have from Mopars. The longest slip yoke is from a 1966 C body and not sure about the other. My 8 3/4 takes the big universal joint, would that be the 7290 size. I will need to purchase that. Would either one I have be a good candidate to take to a shaft shop, to cut, weld and rebalance to the size I need or is there a mail-order shop that does good work. OEM will be fine as no quarter mile launches are planned. Thanks

IMG_0346.jpg

Guys, its time to buy or have built a driveshaft for my 73 and I am wanting to know what is needed. My 72 904 car has a original driveshaft with a big counter weight as part of the driveshaft. Is that weight needed for my 73, 440 with A833 to an 8 3/4 rear. In the photo are two shafts that I have from Mopars. The longest slip yoke is from a 1966 C body and not sure about the other. My 8 3/4 takes the big universal joint, would that be the 7290 size. I will need to purchase that. Would either one I have be a good candidate to take to a shaft shop, to cut, weld and rebalance to the size I need or is there a mail-order shop that does good work. OEM will be fine as no quarter mile launches are planned. Thanks

View attachment 1234858

If you are going to order one.... Denny's Driveshafts has made two aluminum ones for me. They are really nice pieces of work. I don't plan on ever rebuilding an old steel driveshaft again.

It will not save you money trying to save two used ends and put new tube in
Order complete new shaft

Thanks Guys, I get your opinions, just have a new one made. So now I am trying to learn the correct shaft end names and sizes as well as learn how to set up to measure for the correct length needed, all info needed prior to placing an order.

Update for those also needing a new driveshaft. I did indeed place an order from Dennys. Heres how it works if you have never done a mail order. Go on their website and print one of their measuring diagrams for your car. Mopars usually fall into the B diagram. It explains HOW you are to take WHAT measurements are needed. I called the tech number for verification , and got a guy working in the shop. He was very helpful and answered all my questions. Currently all the office help is not there due to covid, so, you have to place your order online. He said they running 5 to 6 weeks behind in getting out orders. Their website says their steel units start at $350 and I was surprised when he said mine would be about $500. Heres what they didn't tell me and why it was higher. What you get is a complete shaft, balanced , and all you do is install it. You get a brand new slip yoke, installed .with both universal joints, all balanced as one unit. And their "Free Shipping over $99 does not apply to shafts, it was $35 extra. Thanks all.....

Auto Transport Service
Back