• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73 RR Battery Cable Channel

John Hogan

Local time
9:37 PM
Reaction score
Posted this in the electrical forum and no luck with an answer so far. Hopefully some of you '73 experts might see this and have an idea.

Any one know if there is a repro available anywhere of the channel on the driver fender that the positive battery cable runs through? I've looked all of the places I can think of and no dice. Any ideas from you experts out there? I believe if I try to remove the remains of mine it will end up in about a million pieces!
battry-cable-channel-jpg.jpg

If you know someone with a bead roller it should not be too hard to make.
Possibly but the original is plastic. I may just have to purchase some plastic U-channel that will be close. It is pretty much hidden by the washer bottle.

I have the same part on my 73, but I have no idea how to source a new one. Unfortunately, the only method I am aware of is to find a donor car. They certainly could be reproduced, but I have never seen one.

Good luck with your search!

My bad I thought you were talking about the sheet metal channel stamped in the inner fender well.

Hey John, Unfortunately I cannot help either. I see the holes where the channel seems to mount but my car either never had one since I bought it or at some point beyond my recollection, I removed it and threw it away. I have not spent a lot of time looking for a replacement but when I did I did not find one.

Here is what it is supposed to look like, this is on my 73, i run the front end wires through it, not the battery cable. Here it is before everything started getting installed, and the second photo after everything was done except the access panels and the washer reservoir.
IMAG1518s.jpg

20140117_181238.jpg

I was never able to find one for my 73 some years ago, maybe they are out there now...not sure.
I went to a yard and picked one from another car, and it might have been just a bit shorter but worked.
However I did find these on a quick search, looks pretty darn close:

https://www.zoro.com/master-caster-...u1_1az4NldASZPoZ7ZCwVsYuXb8WfNlAaAjxmEALw_wcB

https://www.grainger.com/product/1A...BcH0voqXhYDpPB5aI9UaAlWPEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have purchased stuff from Grainger in the past, we have one locally.

Here is what it is supposed to look like, this is on my 73, i run the front end wires through it, not the battery cable. Here it is before everything started getting installed, and the second photo after everything was done except the access panels and the washer reservoir.
View attachment 1277321

View attachment 1277322
Thanks. Yep, that piece looks great. Your whole car looks great! A previous owner had taped the front wires to the battery cable and crammed all of them in there. Probably why mine cracked so badly.
BTW, still hoping to make it up the Ft. Collins way and arrange to see your sweet ride some time before the end of summer.

Last edited:
I was never able to find one for my 73 some years ago, maybe they are out there now...not sure.
I went to a yard and picked one from another car, and it might have been just a bit shorter but worked.

https://www.zoro.com/master-caster-locking-channel-walldesk-58hx48l-in-00207/i/G2774712/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping feed&utm_content=free google shopping clicks&gclid=Cj0KCQjwma6TBhDIARIsAOKuANzYVcQH3-jBvTyALN8Ox1fu1_1az4NldASZPoZ7ZCwVsYuXb8WfNlAaAjxmEALw_wcB

https://www.grainger.com/product/1A...BcH0voqXhYDpPB5aI9UaAlWPEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks!! Looks like those would work, mostly hidden by the washer bottle and my goal is nice driver and not a perfect restoration.

Hey John, Unfortunately I cannot help either. I see the holes where the channel seems to mount but my car either never had one since I bought it or at some point beyond my recollection, I removed it and threw it away. I have not spent a lot of time looking for a replacement but when I did I did not find one.
Still hoping to get down the Parker way and see your ride sometime soon. This weather sucks, I'm a Captain with our volunteer fire department out here and Elbert County has had a Red Flag Day almost every day so I hate to leave our district for real long.

Still hoping to get down the Parker way and see your ride sometime soon. This weather sucks, I'm a Captain with our volunteer fire department out here and Elbert County has had a Red Flag Day almost every day so I hate to leave our district for real long.
Yes, Would like to meet up and talk see your ride. Just let me know and we can sync up.

Thanks. Yep, that piece looks great. Your whole car looks great! A previous owner had taped the front wires to the battery cable and crammed all of them in there. Probably why mine cracked so badly.
BTW, still hoping to make it up the Ft. Collins way and arrange to see your sweet ride some time before the end of summer.
Message me and let me know when you can come up, i am doing a lot of different things right now, but can always make time for a car show in my garage! LOL

https://www.zoro.com/master-caster-locking-channel-walldesk-58hx48l-in-00207/i/G2774712/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping feed&utm_content=free google shopping clicks&gclid=Cj0KCQjwma6TBhDIARIsAOKuANzYVcQH3-jBvTyALN8Ox1fu1_1az4NldASZPoZ7ZCwVsYuXb8WfNlAaAjxmEALw_wcB

Yes they look nice and could be an option, but the channels for our cars got a shape to meet the inner fender provision shape and allowing some clearence for the brake line underneath.

Message me and let me know when you can come up, i am doing a lot of different things right now, but can always make time for a car show in my garage! LOL
We should coordinate and I can head up too. We can have a Roadrunner reunion.

We should coordinate and I can head up too. We can have a Roadrunner reunion.
My '73 is in about 1,000 pieces right now but I would love to check yours out. Are you going to have yours in the car show are in the pits?

My '73 is in about 1,000 pieces right now but I would love to check yours out. Are you going to have yours in the car show are in the pits?
Hey John, are you referring to Mopar on Thunder Mountain. I am planning on going but no real plan yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back