• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 satellite 4 door /6 to 4.7L engine swap

73satellite4dor

Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I'm brand new to this and i'm hoping someone might know something for me.
I have a 73 satellite 4 door, and i plan to take the slant and the 3 speed auto (904 i think) out of it and use a 4.7L from a 2001 Dakota (4wd). I've already discovered that i need either a 2wd tranny or switch the tail section on the trany removing the transfer case. I plan on using the factory 7 1/4 and possibly modifying the drivshaft or making a new one at a local shop.
I havent actually started yet but my first question is engine and trany mounts. Is there some place i could find them pre-made or would mounts from a different engine work? Or will my original K frame work for me.
I'm not looking for big power or anything, just a nice street cruiser. Any info would help.

IMG_5310.JPG

IMG_6063.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG

The slant 6 would be a superior engine compared to the 4.7. Why not a magnum series engine with a A 500 4spd? It would be simpler and no ecm required. You will need a V8 K member and trans. The trans that usually goes behind the 4.7 is unique and may require a lot of effort to make it work. Best of luck on you endeavor.

Yeah....imo, the /6 wouldn't be a bad engine vs the 4.7.......and I HATE the /6 LOL And introduce yourself in the Welcome Wagon. Anyways, welcome to the site. You will find many here that know way more than I do and well, some here stink I know a lot :)

4.7 is notorious for head gasket failures. And its known as the turd that Dodge pooped out. If I had a 4.7 I wouldn't even use it for a boat anchor. You can find a 5.2 or a 5.9 from a truck or van just as easy as you can mistakenly buy a 4.7. If you are looking to do a modern engine swap just buy a wrecked cop car and pull the 5.7 setup out of it. You would come out ahead.

Sweet car, my first was also 73 4door ex-state patrol interceptor ( totally worn out in every way 400/4bbl ). Its non stop failures forced me to become a mechanic! /6 does have potential and the weirdo factor would add a certain charm in this "everything has a LS or hemi " swap world

To answer your actual question... that I've seen no one makes mounts or anything else to swap the 4.7.

Even if you get it FREE, the 4.7 is a terrible choice.
When treated right, they are a decent engine in a stock vehicle that is properly maintained but to run it in a an old car, you'll need a way to run the electronic fuel injection, the spark ignition and to read the various sensors for oil pressure, coolant temperature, alternator output, etc. Nobody that I know of makes a computer and wire harness to get the engine to run in a old car. There are a few that make them for the 5.7 Hemi. That is an excellent choice but there are several non stock parts you need to make a successful swap.
Really, the absolute easiest and cheapest way to go would be a classic 318/360 or a "Magnum" series 5.2 or 5.9. The 5.9 was rated at 245 HP in a truck with catalytic converters but in a car with headers, the engines make closer to 275 HP. They run strong and are super reliable.
You have options, the 4.7 is a really bad one. It will cost a LOT more and be slower than a 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum.

Sweet car, my first was also 73 4door ex-state patrol interceptor ( totally worn out in every way 400/4bbl ). Its non stop failures forced me to become a mechanic! /6 does have potential and the weirdo factor would add a certain charm in this "everything has a LS or hemi " swap world
I know your 100% right just so expensive to make power on the /6, and it just doesn't sound cool to me even with the different exhaust or straight pipe. The wierdo factor is certainly there for the 4.7, you just need to read these chats lol. I reached out to schumacher to see if somthing they have may be close enough for me to modify. I don't know, i think i'm just stubborn enough to do it.

Even if you get it FREE, the 4.7 is a terrible choice.
When treated right, they are a decent engine in a stock vehicle that is properly maintained but to run it in a an old car, you'll need a way to run the electronic fuel injection, the spark ignition and to read the various sensors for oil pressure, coolant temperature, alternator output, etc. Nobody that I know of makes a computer and wire harness to get the engine to run in a old car. There are a few that make them for the 5.7 Hemi. That is an excellent choice but there are several non stock parts you need to make a successful swap.
Really, the absolute easiest and cheapest way to go would be a classic 318/360 or a "Magnum" series 5.2 or 5.9. The 5.9 was rated at 245 HP in a truck with catalytic converters but in a car with headers, the engines make closer to 275 HP. They run strong and are super reliable.
You have options, the 4.7 is a really bad one. It will cost a LOT more and be slower than a 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum.
I have a couple LA360s, i realize that would be easier yes. I'm not looking for the easiest answer, but i certainly asked for your opinion, so thank you. I don't believe i'll need a wiring harness due to the lack of electrical options in the car presently. The truck is running now so i don't see how i can't get it to run with the original truck harness minus any options i dont want. that part doesn't scare me much. I'm also gonna put a turbo on this thing at some point in the next couple years. i know not everyone will appreciate it and It won't be a show car for sure.

I have a couple LA360s, i realize that would be easier yes. I'm not looking for the easiest answer, but i certainly asked for your opinion, so thank you. I don't believe i'll need a wiring harness due to the lack of electrical options in the car presently. The truck is running now so i don't see how i can't get it to run with the original truck harness minus any options i dont want. that part doesn't scare me much. I'm also gonna put a turbo on this thing at some point in the next couple years. i know not everyone will appreciate it and It won't be a show car for sure.
Here is the thing. If this 4.7 swap was popular and a good choice there would be answers popping up all over the place. So at this point you had better have torches, welders, cut off saws, grinders, and the rest of the tools to even think about doing the job. Then you need to have the fabrication skill set as you will be one off fabricating everything. As far as wiring goes do not think that is going to be simple. It is not. You will need the factory FSM for your car as well as the year and model of your engine and wiring. There will be no pick up the phone and order a part. Making what you have will be all up to you. And as far as a turbo goes. Good luck with that. A man has to have a serious head injury to think this is going to work.

Welcome to the forum!
Boldly go where no man has gone before.
Sometime back in the dark ages an enterprising young hot rodder decided to put an OHV V8 in an old coupe. Someone probably told him he was crazy too.
Have fun, the worst thing that happens is a 73 Satellite gets parted out in few years.

Sadly the 4.7 when running good makes decent power. But every story and every 4.7 I have come across leads to the same conclusion. They are not a good engine. But if you are looking for the WTF factor I guess the 4.7 would fit the bill. But then again so would an LS swap. I do understand that you already have the 4.7 and since you do it would be the smartest money option. But reliability would be a factor to think about. Do a difficult engine swap then 6 months down the road you gotta pull it because it blew head gaskets. Not something I would want to do. But hey I get it you have the stuff give it a shot. But do not expect lots of aftermarket support for the 4.7. I do remember one guy on the dakota forums put a turbo on his 4.7 and it was decent just don't know how long it lasted. In the end YOU DO YOU man.. Its your ride.

I would love to have a Slant 6 B Body.
I guess I have Slant Sickness.Second thought,I know I do.

I would advise tearing into the 4.7 and at least do the head gaskets now. Its a super common fail point.

I admire your determination and willingness to think outside the box. Lets think about your idea. First off yes you can probably fabricate mounts. You could carefully remove the Dakota harness. You plan on modifiying a drive shaft, the trans, and retaining the 7 1/4 axle. And then adding a turbo. Lets start from the rear and work our way forward. The 7 1/4 has zero perfomance parts available. A stock 318 could shred one on small 14" tires. Extremely poor choice for anything. The 45RFE is not a performance trans. Price a hop up or performance converter, little to no parts. If you do find them, they are at high cost. Then the cost to build a driveshaft to fit. Money not well spent on any of these ideas so far. Now the engine. Stripping a harness and not making a mistake is tough for a beginner. Do you have the skill to weld up engine and trans mounts, exhaust system. Do you know how to use the Dakota alternator and PS pump with your car? I'm betting you don't have a ton of cash or experience. Could this swap be done, yup. Is it worthwhile or cost effective, no way. Will it be very quick, nope. And then add a turbo with the electronics and notoriously weak 4.7. Nope. Take a leason from a guy thats been in auto repair all his life. As well as building hot rods for 40 years. This is a bad idea.
Doug

I admire your determination and willingness to think outside the box. Lets think about your idea. First off yes you can probably fabricate mounts. You could carefully remove the Dakota harness. You plan on modifiying a drive shaft, the trans, and retaining the 7 1/4 axle. And then adding a turbo. Lets start from the rear and work our way forward. The 7 1/4 has zero perfomance parts available. A stock 318 could shred one on small 14" tires. Extremely poor choice for anything. The 45RFE is not a performance trans. Price a hop up or performance converter, little to no parts. If you do find them, they are at high cost. Then the cost to build a driveshaft to fit. Money not well spent on any of these ideas so far. Now the engine. Stripping a harness and not making a mistake is tough for a beginner. Do you have the skill to weld up engine and trans mounts, exhaust system. Do you know how to use the Dakota alternator and PS pump with your car? I'm betting you don't have a ton of cash or experience. Could this swap be done, yup. Is it worthwhile or cost effective, no way. Will it be very quick, nope. And then add a turbo with the electronics and notoriously weak 4.7. Nope. Take a leason from a guy thats been in auto repair all his life. As well as building hot rods for 40 years. This is a bad idea.
Doug
I can't argue with a thing your saying. I have little experience with a swap like this. Although i have been in the heavy equipment world a long time, this will be a new experience for me. The 4.7 is free.... mostly, and the /6 sucks. I totally understand most ppl would not attempt this and take an easier route. But for me thats too common to put a 318/360 in there. Who knows, i may put a Gen 3 in there at some point but i dont want that much power right now. The car would require power breaks, new rear, sub frame connectors or more serious suspension upgrades. Anyway, the mounts for eng and trany i can figure out, and the driveshaft. Harness might be a fight, but i'll win. Thank you for you time and response, I'll definitely be putting updates on here, as the crowd may grow as you witness my trials and tribulations.
See you soon.
4.7 is coming out this weekend. ;)

I wouldn’t take the 4.7 if someone paid me.
Being different is great… as long as it isn’t a huge struggle to go slower for more money. That is like going target shooting one handed with a blindfold on while on a merry go round.
Do what you want but you are facing a really difficult project with virtually zero UPside.

I can't argue with a thing your saying. I have little experience with a swap like this. Although i have been in the heavy equipment world a long time, this will be a new experience for me. The 4.7 is free.... mostly, and the /6 sucks. I totally understand most ppl would not attempt this and take an easier route. But for me thats too common to put a 318/360 in there. Who knows, i may put a Gen 3 in there at some point but i dont want that much power right now. The car would require power breaks, new rear, sub frame connectors or more serious suspension upgrades. Anyway, the mounts for eng and trany i can figure out, and the driveshaft. Harness might be a fight, but i'll win. Thank you for you time and response, I'll definitely be putting updates on here, as the crowd may grow as you witness my trials and tribulations.
See you soon.
4.7 is coming out this weekend. ;)
The 4.7 may be free, but by the time you've installed it and got it running, if ever, you'd have spend enough to buy a couple more '73 four doors with factory v8 engines already installed.

Auto Transport Service
Back