• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 SSP from CL to EB for more than double

YY1

Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
He would have been better off using a best offer option.

Agree.

A quick thousand or so might be possible but a narrow bid window at a high start bid is 99% not going to work.

They could also gamble on $1000 of paint and body work to add more than the 1K in value...
They'd have 4K in it and it might be a 6K car at that point with no rust showing and shiny resale red paint.

I doubt it. There are quite a few 73/74 Road Runners and Satellites on ebay right now, and a couple of much nicer ones for around $5,000. This car doesn't have a lot of rust, but what it does have is in some of the worst places. I would say the $2,500-$3,000 price range is where this car should be at... but that's the fun part of ebay. There's always that chance someone will just have to have that car and will pay whatever it takes to get it.

I just went and looked at a 73 Roadrunner in my area (Western New York). The price he was asking was $4500. It apparently had a numbers matching 340 with numbers matching trans and it did have an 8 3/4 rear with what the owner said was a 3.55 posi, but there was no fender tag to confirm any of that, and the owner had no idea that there was even supposed to be a fender tag on Mopars (what a dope). The funny part was that it had no soft interior pieces, no drivers floor, no trunk, and no rockers. There were fist size rust holes in the bottoms of the doors and quarters, as well as behind the rear windows. The best part of the adventure was that the owner told me that if I bondo-ed the rust holes, painted the car one color and put an interior in the car, that it would be worth 10-12k easy. I asked if he would move on the price, just for grins and giggles. He insisted that the car, as it sat in mud and foot high snow was a deal at $4500. I'll give him that I'm young. But I'm not stupid. Needless to say, I shook the guys hand, thanked him for showing it to me, and ran away as fast as I possibly could.

But I've been watching that red SSP car for awhile. It seems like he is getting caught up in the Mecum and Barrett auctions like a lot of guys are. CL and Ebay are practically breeding grounds for overpriced cars and trucks. Guys wishing upon a star to hit it rich with nothing more than a halfway decent parts car. Some of the cars on the market now are just unbelievably overpriced, as are some parts cars. Especially the 71-74 stuff.

The auctions are part of the problem, but the bigger issue is they think that all cars are the same when it comes to restoration. There's a world of difference between trying to bring a 68-72 car back to life and bringing a 73-74 car back. You can pretty much build a new 68-72 car using all reproduced parts, but the only parts that are readily available for 73/74 cars are those that are shared with the 71/72 cars. When it comes to finding 73/74-unique parts, you're usually stuck going OEM and that requires more time, expense, and dealing with parts that have seen 40 years of use. So it's usually pretty easy to restore a 68/72 car, but restoring a 73/74 car, especially with major rust issues, is an entirely different game and that's why these cars command much lower prices than 68-72 cars... a point I always make to sellers.

So, if its harder to complete a 73-74 than a 68-72 (almost turnkey) and it takes more time, energy and expenses, then a 73-74 would command a lower price? Thought it would be the other way around IMHO.

Looks like they at lest partially came to their senses, and lowered the starting bid to $4800.

Still no bidders, though.

Good strategy- take your thousand (if you can get it), and move on....

So, if its harder to complete a 73-74 than a 68-72 (almost turnkey) and it takes more time, energy and expenses, then a 73-74 would command a lower price? Thought it would be the other way around IMHO.

Why? If you can restore a 68-72 car for say $10,000, but it's going to cost you $20,000 to restore a 73/74 car, then why would you expect or want to pay more for a 73/74 car? I could see the logic if 73/74 cars sold for more than 68/72 cars once restored, but that's certainly not the case. You can drop $10,000 into restoring an older car and expect to get $30,000+ for it, but the best you're likely going to see for a restored 73/74 car is about $15,000 and that's if you're lucky.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like they at lest partially came to their senses, and lowered the starting bid to $4800.

Still no bidders, though.

Good strategy- take your thousand (if you can get it), and move on....

Yep, didn't get his $4,800 either. I would say that car should be started at about $2,000 tops to attract bidders.

Auto Transport Service
Back