• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 3 speed manual pistol grip shifter

eric383

Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 74 Cuda 318 with the original 3 speed manual tranny. Does anyone know if a pistol grip shifter will bolt in? Thanks!

I don't think so. The 3 spd shift boxes might have been made by Inland or someone not Hurst if I recall. If Hurst then the design might be similar and the handle might swap out. One way to know for sure is get under there and look.

Thanks Meep. My buddy called me after he pulled the shifter boot and said it didn't look like it would swap. I told him no problem just stop by after he gets one and I'll do some fab work. He knows the payment method........cheap beer!

Im just curious, does he have a stock/ factory shifter in his car now? My '74 Satty has a 318 w/3spd on the column and i would like to move it and make it a floor shift and the only thing i can find for a floor shifter is the Hurst indy universal shifter. Are there any others out there? I cant even find a factory replacement 3spd floor shifter to install for my car.

Jay, I did some poking around on flea bay and found at least 1 original shifter. Yes he does have the original shifter in his Cuda. The only reason I know that he he is the original owner. I think you're gonna have to do some serious looking to find one. Take a look at where the mounting is on the tranny and maybe you could use the universal shifter. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back