• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Charger Differential confusion

TAZZ

Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
I have scoured the net trying to find a match for the differential under a 74 Charger we bought a couple of weeks ago. I found at least 5-6 charts showing the different types and nothing matches. The Chrysler 8.25 is the closest I have found but ours is missing the plug. I'm offshore and these are the only pictures I have for now. While I'm gone my wife is at home taking care of 20 cows and 4 horses on 40 acres at two different locations. This time of year she's got to put out round bales every couple of days so I don't want to piss her off (too much) with asking her to crawl all around the car for more pictures. What do ya'll think it is?

our 74 charger diff good pic.jpg yoke.jpg

Yep 8.25

Most depictions show a cover with straight sections at top and bottom.

The one in the OP has the more round cover that no one seems to have included in the ID charts.

IMG_1678.jpg
This is a photo of a Chrysler 9 1/4''
That is not what yours is. You clearly have a 8 1/4'' Nothing wrong with a 8 1/4'' in a street car and a automatic. I had one in a 73 340 4 speed Duster and held up fine.
IMG_2642.jpg
This is a Chrysler 7 1/4''

Its an 8.25.

Yep 8.25

Most depictions show a cover with straight sections at top and bottom.

The one in the OP has the more round cover that no one seems to have included in the ID charts.

View attachment 1214420 This is a photo of a Chrysler 9 1/4''
That is not what yours is. You clearly have a 8 1/4'' Nothing wrong with a 8 1/4'' in a street car and a automatic. I had one in a 73 340 4 speed Duster and held up fine.View attachment 1214424 This is a Chrysler 7 1/4''

Thanks guys, that's what we thought too. But not having a vent was throwing us off. Where does it vent?

Most are vented at the brake line junction on the left side axle tube.
Depending on year many are different. Some have a hollow bolt that attach the junction block to the axle tube.
Some as the 7 1/4'' photo have a vent NEXT to the junction block (1974) axle.
It looks like your may be on the right axle tube opposite of the junction block.And have the vent hole with a tin cover spot welded over it.

I have scoured the net trying to find a match for the differential under a 74 Charger we bought a couple of weeks ago. I found at least 5-6 charts showing the different types and nothing matches. The Chrysler 8.25 is the closest I have found but ours is missing the plug. I'm offshore and these are the only pictures I have for now. While I'm gone my wife is at home taking care of 20 cows and 4 horses on 40 acres at two different locations. This time of year she's got to put out round bales every couple of days so I don't want to piss her off (too much) with asking her to crawl all around the car for more pictures. What do ya'll think it is?

View attachment 1214390 View attachment 1214391
This earlier 8.25'' has the fill plug at the right side of the center section. Later ones had a more oval looking rear cover and have the fill plug relocated there.

Most are vented at the brake line junction on the left side axle tube.
Depending on year many are different. Some have a hollow bolt that attach the junction block to the axle tube.
Some as the 7 1/4'' photo have a vent NEXT to the junction block (1974) axle.
It looks like your may be on the right axle tube opposite of the junction block.And have the vent hole with a tin cover spot welded over it.
Is the circled area what you are talking about?

our 74 charger diff with circle.jpg

Opposite side where the rubber brake line connects.

Is the circled area what you are talking about?
It is possible. Really can't tell by the photo. T2R9 is correct as many vent at the junction.
All I can say a vent gotta be there !:)

It is possible. Really can't tell by the photo. T2R9 is correct as many vent at the junction.
All I can say a vent gotta be there !:)

I'll be able to check on all the info in the posts when I get home but I'm soooo ready to get started on the car and I have a lot of spare time out here so I'm trying to gather all the information I can before I go home. Thank ya'll

Auto Transport Service
Back