• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 charger UCA bar install

TAZZ

Local time
2:17 PM
Reaction score
I'm replacing the upper control arms and all the bushings on the front suspension and steering of the car. I've looked at just about every youtube video, searched everywhere on here (that I know of) and can't find out how to install the bar in a new arm and bushings. Getting them out of the old arms isn't gonna be a problem. It's just getting them in the new ones without tearing up the new bushings.

front susp diagram with arrow.png

I posted how to do it with a press.

There's also a tool like a socket to draw them in.

Yep- VERY difficult to find info on the captive bar version.

I posted how to do it with a press.

There's also a tool like a socket to draw them in.

Yep- VERY difficult to find info on the captive bar version.

I've got this. How do I get to your video? I'm not real computer savvy.

ball joint tool.JPG

it's not a vid.

It's on FBBO but uses a shop press and various spacers and pipe diameters and lengths.

I think you have the proper tool there, but it should have a "C" shaped adapter to clear the bar on the inner side of the bushing.

I thought sure one of the threads on this showed a picture of a 73 and up UCA chucked up in that tool.

...but I can't find it.

Last edited:
My money says they simply don't have them.

Even if they think they do.

I have never seen them, except for NOS. 74 is one of those years that some vendors don't know much about. They think a lot of the parts fit all of the third gens, but of course they don't. Can you restore your original arms? You can't install the bar with both bushings in. If I remember right you can install one bushing, put the bar in place, and then press in the 2nd bushing.

Did you check to see if your install tool has that "C" shaped part along with all the "O" shaped ones?

I have never seen them, except for NOS. 74 is one of those years that some vendors don't know much about. They think a lot of the parts fit all of the third gens, but of course they don't. Can you restore your original arms? You can't install the bar with both bushings in. If I remember right you can install one bushing, put the bar in place, and then press in the 2nd bushing.

Looking at the old arms, the threads for the ball joint looked striped and the new ball joints would not start easily. But with more research I read where that might not be the case. It seams the new ball joints will "make their own" threads. So I'm gonna try installing the new ball joints in my original control arms and see how that turns out. As for the bar, after reading what you said and staring at it for a while I realized what I was missing. Thanks

Did you check to see if your install tool has that "C" shaped part along with all the "O" shaped ones?

I haven't yet. I got tied up yesterday afternoon repairing some fencing that the cows found a hole in. I'll be looking for that this afternoon.

Were you on the other thread where we discussed "not really agreeing" that anyone had ever seen self tapping BJ's?

Were you on the other thread where we discussed "not really agreeing" that anyone had ever seen self tapping BJ's?

I did see that thread. This is what I have. I didn't have the right socket for the ball joint so I welded a nut on top of the old one to get it out. I've got the correct socket now but I'm not 100% sure if it's threaded or it's ridges on the new ball joint.

IMG_7144.JPG

Are the threads shallow and rounded?

98% sure NOT self tapping.

However, I'm also 90% sure 1974 should be press-in.

Paging @Nacho-RT74

If someone force threaded a threaded BJ in a press fit UCA...it might be ruined.

Press in is lower only. 74 and up uppers still use threaded joints.

Make sure the threads a SUPER clean, and inspect them carefully for debris, previous cross thread and cracks.

Again, it should start and get somewhere near one full turn by hand.

If it doesn't- stop.

It should NOT seat fully by hand. If it does, the UCA is likely cracked.

Good luck and may the MoForce be with you.

Got them in with the help of my modified socket, vice, 250 lb. buddy, (I'm a whopping 150) and a 4 ft cheater pipe. Shoulders lined up just right so I know they ain't cross threaded. I learned what I needed to know. I'm not doing that **** again! Thanks for the direction guys.

Glad you got it.

Auto Transport Service
Back