• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prothane Lower Control Arm Bushings

Encswsm

Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Prothane Lower control arm bushings. These do not require you to remove the inner and outer sleeves from the old rubber bushing. Apparently all you do is clean up the existing sleeves real good then press the well lubricated urethane bushing into the old sleeve. I have a set of new rubber bushings and I was wondering if I want to go through the hassle of removing the old parts. the Prothane bushings only cost like 12 Bucks Instead of hassling with the old bushing I think Im going to try them out.

I agree with Pnora. I thought it was an upgrade when I installed the Prothane bushings in my Charger. I did it just like they recommended but now a few years later, I have that damn irritating squeak on the right front. When the left front starts squeaking, I will be going back to the Mopar way.

Along with the squeaks, urethane is not as resilient as rubber in that location. Meaning it will mushroom out fairly quick whereas rubber, at least good ones, will last along time. There is a massive load there and the urethane doesn't do well. Upper arms, sway bar, leaf springs, strut rods are ok spots for urethane, lubed up, but you may still get squeaks. On my 65, I'm using Delrin with greasable shafts from Firm Feel. It will give me a harsher ride but thats ok. While you are in that area, have a look at the sleeves in the k-frame that the shafts go through. An area with known issues like cracked welds, sleeve wallowed out etc. Need to fix if there are any problems there.

ok I guess Ill go with the rubber ones I got from Dr.Diff. Ill inspect the sleves today.

Auto Transport Service
Back