• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Roadrunner Seat Belt Problem

74RdRunr

Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
Every time I try to put on the seat belt, it constantly sticks. I have to try it 5 / 10 times or more to get it to release to go out far enough to put it on. Anyone else run into this? Anyone know a fix?Thanks.

There is a retractor on the floor for the lap belt and one beside the back seat for the shoulder belt. Both will lock up when I go to put them on but not necessarily at the same time.

There is a small paddle wheel type mechanisim that locks the belt in case of impact. That's what holds your butt in the seat to keep you from busting through the windshield. Before I re-installed mine after new carpet, I kinda played with it and tried to figure what locked it, what released it. It was dirty from age, cigarette ash, hair, all kinds of creepy looking crap. Anyway, I pulled the belt all of the way out. You have to do it in ONE LONG MOTION or its locks like it was designed to. Use something to lock the belt to keep it from retracting, I used a screwdriver, and then vacuum the loose stuff. I sprayed some carpet cleaner in there as I was cleaning the belt also. I used a tooth brush and finger, then wiped clean and dry. Lastly, I used spray silicone. One other thing and it happened by mistake, don't torque the bolt too tight when re-installing. It causes the plastic housing to distourt against the carpet and press against the little wheel thingie. It was designed to swivel. If all fails, when you use the belt, use both hands. With your right hand, grab it by the end, and as you pull in a steady motion, grab the belt with your left hand after a foot or so and continue the pull until enough belt is out to latch it.

Thanks. I'll tear them apart this weekend and try to clean them.

1974 cars have the distinction of having a one-year-only seat belt setup .

It's the first model year for the "Uni-Belt" ; it's the only year with that irritating , government mandated "Seat Belt Interlock" , which consisted of a "safety" button under the hood ( a dumb looking box with a red button on it ) which when depressed , allowed the car to be started without having the seat belt latched .

Another splendid idea . "Your" tax dollars at "work" .

Oh , and 1974 has a one-year-only positive battery cable ; and it was unavailable for years ... not sure if it's reproduced ( Prest-O-Lite is o.e.m. ) these days .

I put MARK XV seat belts in my daily driver '72 Coronet . They're GREAT !

hello, I'm fairly new to here (been signed up for awhile just haven't posted much) but I saw this discussion and I like that I'm not the only one who has had to deal with the seat belts locking so easily! I've always wondered if I had a defective belt setup... I just wanted to put in my own input about it, I've owned my 74 for 18 years and I still have trouble once in awhile getting the belt latched without it locking before I get it there! it's true you have to do it in one long motion (as MRHWS said), but what I've found is it's important to do it s-l-o-o-w-w-w-l-y in one continuous motion, and it works best to sorta move it down towards the floor 1st, then up and away from me while at the same time bringing it to the right across to finally latch it... I know it sounds goofy but it's almost a ritual of steps to get it done without locking prematurely, it's what has worked in my experience so I thought maybe it could help out someone else on here...

I also must say this: I've always thought if it locks that easily I can have some peace of mind that in case of an accident the belt will do what it was designed to do! ;>)

*~ keep it 'tween the ditches ~*
my74SatelliteBIR.jpg

After I figured out that it was the shoulder retractor that was causing all the problems, I took the shoulder belt retractor off to clean it like MRHWS said. It wasn't dirty at all. I figured out how it worked and if you hold the locking "bar" down it will let the belt out all the way. The problem is that as soon as you let go of the "bar" it will lock every time. There is some spring steel holding the bar down to release the belt. But apparently it has weakened over the years and can't hold the bar open. There are some wound springs under a plastic guard that says "DO NOT REMOVE" that are the springs that rewind the belt. Since my lap belt works fine, I am going to fix the locking bar in the open position by wedgeing a peice of steel or plastic in the side of the retractor to hold it in the open position. Until I can find a replacement black seat belt set, the lap belt will hold me if I need it. The shoulder belt will be on but it will be non-functioning. Thanks for the suggestions and info.

A place called Sharons web can repair those retractors for you. Sharon is the business owner and does all the work herself. She used to work for big belt restoration outfit before she ant out on her own. Just do a web search and you will find her site then call or email her. She is very good to work with and very knowledgable.

I used a small screwdriver and and a screwdriver with a magnet on the end and got a #8 screw into the hole on the side of the retractor and put a nut on it and that should hold it open so the belt works now. Won't be any help if I'm in an accident but I have the lap belt. I called Sharon's web and talked to Sharon. She said she had a few inquiries at the Mopar Nats about 74 seat belt problems like mine. She is in the proces of trying to get to the bottom of it and figure out a fix. She has 3/4 retractors from 74's & 75's, which is the problems years, and they are all different. I'm going to take mine back apart and take some pictures of it and send them to her so she can figure out which retractor is causing the problems and how to fix it. I'll probably take the whole drivers side seat belt set up off this winter and send it to her. I can't wait until the passenger side starts to do the same thing.

Auto Transport Service
Back