• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75-79 dodge/chrysler/plymouth history

i noticed the opera window louvers carried over from 77 to 78 as well and made it on to the magnum.i dont know why i found this so interesting lol

$3500 huh? Seems a little optimistic, although I see a few interesting bits on the blue one...the sport mirrors for starters. Its interesting how sales dropped in 74 and stayed level in 75. As if buyers were holding out for the exciting all new 75 Charger to debut and then when it did...they all said nevermind and went and bought a Malibu.
Like WileERobby said, the 78s would be a carryover. They probably made just enough to use up what hoods, nose pieces, emblems, etc, they had in stock. So, it seems, that at least for the first part of the year, you could have had 78 Chargers and Magnums on the same lot. Even though the Chargers were 78s on paper only, the VIN would reflect that and make it a pretty rare piece.

something interesting is my charger was originally titled as a 1976. i am the third owner and it was titled that way from the original bank that financed it to the first owner. the vin # is XS22K7R171111. the 7 is for 1977 and the build date of the car is 11/76.another strange thing is 77 charger se production was around 36,000. but the sequence number is 171,111 and production numbers start at 100,000 ,thus making this car the 71,111 to roll off the assembly line in 77. which doesnt make any sense because the cordoba had there own body code which began with an SP23 or similar.unless all dodge /chrysler B bodies were combined as total production. IDK , if any one knows can they clarify ? thanks.

Last edited:
my charger came with dual chrome remote sport mirrors as well. it was still an option apparently up until 79

$3500 huh? Seems a little optimistic, although I see a few interesting bits on the blue one...the sport mirrors for starters. Its interesting how sales dropped in 74 and stayed level in 75. As if buyers were holding out for the exciting all new 75 Charger to debut and then when it did...they all said nevermind and went and bought a Malibu.
Like WileERobby said, a carryover. They probably made just enough to use up what hoods, nose pieces, emblems, etc, they had in stock. So, it seems, that at least for the first part of the year, you could have had 78 Chargers and Magnums on the same lot. Even though the Chargers were 78s on paper only, the VIN would reflect that and make it a pretty rare piece.
ya 3500, and that thing is ragged out, 360 car, no motor ,split bench/armrest, colomn shift and the interior is trashed. as far as the 78s,i think you guys hit it on the head, with using up the extra noses and stuff left over, and then started in with the magnum.

Were all Cordoba/Chargers built at the Windsor, Ontario plant? I can't explain the production number weirdness. Could be that all Chargers were built in sequence from 75 on, but that would have resulted in a higher number for a late 76 build. I think. 1976 was a banner year for Cordobas built and sold too. They went down from there to almost 0 in 82 or 83 when they finally killed it and went all K-car kablooey on us.

that would make more sense, but how would anyone be able to break down base charger,charger sport and SE production, or could you? the charger daytona was only a trim and paint code option and does not reflect any where but on the fender tag.and further reading tells me that the XS body code is SE specific:X=charger and S=special 22=2 door coupe. it then carried over to the magnum when the SE was dropped in 78.unless you are saying that the 71,111 is total SE only production from 75 up to that point that mine was built? in 1975 the B Body ,body codes are as follows;X=charger SE and S=cordoba. no other b body codes other than the fury.1976 saw the addition of one, W=dodge coronet/dodge charger, of which was the charger sport. in 1977 the W coded charger was gone again.its looking like the 76 dodge charger sport was a one year only model based on the plymouth fury.

im looking around trying to find out about the ontario plant. i have owned a factory yellow/black top 76 cordoba with 400 and 727, that was built in canada. i also had a 77 doba with a 360/904 with buckets/console that was a maroonish color that was also canadian. was yours as well? my charger is also a canadian car.

allpar.com. windsor ontario plant 1975. and it appears there is a pic of a 78 doba. so far this is all i can find.

Attachments

• fl17.jpg
    fl17.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 351
  • fl16.jpg
    fl16.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 383
  • fl15.jpg
    fl15.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 352
  • fl14.jpg
    fl14.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 375
  • fl13.jpg
    fl13.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 457

Attachments

• fl8.jpg
    fl8.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 330
  • fl9.jpg
    fl9.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 339
  • fl10.jpg
    fl10.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 376
  • fl11.jpg
    fl11.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 389
  • fl12.jpg
    fl12.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 388

Attachments

• fl4.jpg
    fl4.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 371
  • fl5.jpg
    fl5.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 348
  • fl6.jpg
    fl6.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 333
  • fl7.jpg
    fl7.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 393

Attachments

• fl3.jpg
    fl3.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 352
  • fl2.jpg
    fl2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 402
  • fl1.jpg
    fl1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 398
  • fl.jpg
    fl.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 348
...but the sequence number is 171,111 and production numbers start at 100,000 ,thus making this car the 71,111 to roll off the assembly line in 77. which doesnt make any sense because the cordoba had there own body code which began with an SP23 or similar.unless all dodge /chrysler B bodies were combined as total production. IDK , if any one knows can they clarify ? thanks.

Hmmm let's see if we can sort this out.

Each plant had it's own VIN numbering meaning each plant started the year at 100001.

The assigning a VIN is an administrative function and not one of production meaning that, theoretically, car 100101 may not have rolled off the line until several months into production and well after 100102. The VIN number has nothing to do with the actual production of the car or in what order cars rolled down the line.

All models, and therefore VIN assignments, are mixed up. They are not issued sequentially by make or model. VIN assignments have nothing to do with total prodution numbers.

1978 Cordobas (SS VIN), Charger SEs (XP VIN) and Magnums (XS VINS) were built at the Windsor plant.

Hmmm let's see if we can sort this out.

Each plant had it's own VIN numbering meaning each plant started the year at 100001.

The assigning a VIN is an administrative function and not one of production meaning that, theoretically, car 100101 may not have rolled off the line until several months into production and well after 100102. The VIN number has nothing to do with the actual production of the car or in what order cars rolled down the line.

All models, and therefore VIN assignments, are mixed up. They are not issued sequentially by make or model. VIN assignments have nothing to do with total prodution numbers.

1978 Cordobas (SS VIN), Charger SEs (XP VIN) and Magnums (XS VINS) were built at the Windsor plant.
i see ,thank you for the clarification.one more thing though, you state XP for the windsor plant for the SE. my VIN is XS22 and an R for the windsor plant.

Super77se doesn't seem to be on right now, but his car is a 77 Charger SE.

thank you.

XS22 would be appropriate for a 77 Charger SE.

XS22 would not appropriate for 78 Charger SE.

VIN designations can change from year to year.

Auto Transport Service
Back