• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 parts interchangeability

Lol, and I thought the threads about "8 3/4 parts interchangeability"! :)

I would think you should be good to go if this is what was done to the cone sets....….
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/ams/how-to-recondition-a-sure-grip-cone.28/
BTW, make sure to test fit the axles before you install.

See post #8, top picture. What you see there is in fact what came out of it with 513 gearset. I already have another R&P in the case...…. a tapered set with CS eliminator from Cass.

I don't believe the 489 case had been machined at all. That's why I posed the question to Crackedback.
I'll see if I can find a better picture of the bearing-race combination that was used for it and post.

I would like to see that

Lol, and I thought the threads about "8 3/4 parts interchangeability"! :)

I would think you should be good to go if this is what was done to the cone sets....….
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/ams/how-to-recondition-a-sure-grip-cone.28/
BTW, make sure to test fit the axles before you install.

See post #8, top picture. What you see there is in fact what came out of it with 513 gearset. I already have another R&P in the case...…. a tapered set with CS eliminator from Cass.

I don't believe the 489 case had been machined at all. That's why I posed the question to Crackedback.
I'll see if I can find a better picture of the bearing-race combination that was used for it and post.

long

long story short, the answer to my original question is that the machining all takes place within the SG and thus the entire SG is transferable between all three cases. that being said, the argument for using the 1 3/4" pinion from a 742 pig in a 489 has caught my interest. possibly the outer bearing race for both the 1 3/4" and the 1 7/8" pinion have the same O.D.?

The sure grip will cross over no problem, take it with the bearings and races to the new case. Yes you need to shim the cone to make up for the removal of material. I think Cass sells them in a case hardened variety.

The pinion in some of the pics is not the correct one for a 489 case, it's a 742 case pinion. That's what I meant by frankensteined and the thing 5.7 posted as well. Something is weird and that's it. Maybe someone figured a way to get the 742 to work and have proper bearing preload. No idea. I just know that the non tapered pinion is the wrong one for a 489 case as intended/designed from the factory.

Thanks, I think I have it down now and you're right about the 741/489 pinion crossover mystery; I don't see how it could possibly be done without either machining the bearing saddles or outer races except by my idea above. And why would anyone go thru such an elaborate and expensive process when changing either pigs or gear sets would be a sensible and easy solution. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the more likely explanation of a glitch of human memory.

...….The pinion in some of the pics is not the correct one for a 489 case, it's a 742 case pinion. That's what I meant by frankensteined and the thing 5.7 posted as well. Something is weird and that's it. Maybe someone figured a way to get the 742 to work and have proper bearing preload. No idea. I just know that the non tapered pinion is the wrong one for a 489 case as intended/designed from the factory.

And I do agree with this 100%.
It is why I went with a tapered back in the case. Nothing appeared modified in the case to me. The correct combination race and bearing set installed ..…….
upload_2019-4-25_9-40-53.png

Thanks, I think I have it down now and you're right about the 741/489 pinion crossover mystery; I don't see how it could possibly be done without either machining the bearing saddles or outer races except by my idea above. And why would anyone go thru such an elaborate and expensive process when changing either pigs or gear sets would be a sensible and easy solution. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the more likely explanation of a glitch of human memory.

Lol, surely you jest!
As the saying goes, at one point in time, you were told the world is flat, and everybody nodded in agreement.

I didn't set up that large pinion in this 489 case. It all came to me in a trade back in '80. I'm thinking it was likely assembled mid 70's. A 175 bucks was a lot different for a person to spend on R&P back then. Was a tapered 513 set even available? I don't know.
I took it apart and displayed the contents here as a possible interchange. I'm sure alternatives were invoked.
Then too, what is the difference between the two if you can get the preload and depth?.... Where the sleeve/washer/spacer happens to end up?
Here's the assembled pinion picture I have..…..
upload_2019-4-25_9-34-32.png

Here's the 489 case as it came out of with the race still in it......
upload_2019-4-25_9-47-38.png

agree. I have another question. can you swap a pinion yoke from one pig to another without disturbing the adjustments?

Just found this at Crazy's Mopar. Might be the explanation we were looking for. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.
1-7/8" tapered stem pinion (aka. '489')
Carrier casting numbers: 2881488, 2881489 (1969-1974).
This assembly was introduced in 1969 and was phased-in to relace the 1-3/4" unit through 1970. Note: the 1-3/4" pinion also appeared in some '489' carriers during this period. By 1973, the '489' was the only unit available in passenger car applications. This assembly was typically used in high weight/medium horsepower applications through high weight/high horsepower applications.
Pinion depth is set with shims, preload is set with a crush sleeve.

1 3/4" pinion in a 489--good to know--who knew? So, if I transfer a yoke from one center to another, the donor pig will need to be re-shimmed and/or need a new crush sleeve before I can use it again? Sound right?

.....So, if I transfer a yoke from one center to another, the donor pig will need to be re-shimmed and/or need a new crush sleeve before I can use it again? Sound right?
I believe there's a procedure to change pinion seals in a 489 without totally rebuilding the pinion stack. Of course typically you use the same yoke when doing it... Now if your new yoke has the exact same (or is made the same) clamp dimension...…………...

I believe there's a procedure to change pinion seals in a 489 without totally rebuilding the pinion stack. Of course typically you use the same yoke when doing it... Now if your new yoke has the exact same (or is made the same) clamp dimension...…………...
What is clamp dimension?

Auto Transport Service
Back