• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 rearend

boneheadsGeTeX

Local time
12:41 AM
Reaction score
I have a 70 gtx, my dad restored the car , but when he got the car(basket case) it didnt have a rearend so he put a 8 3/4 out of a 70 stationwagon ,,271 gear iv been told,,, he says the rear is no good and that I cant make it posi.with a 355gear? That the houseing isnt the same as a 8 3/4 out of a gtx or road runneer ?

willing to bet you got an 8-1/4 back there now with that 2.71 gear ratio....post a pic to be sure

An 8 3/4 is an 8 3/4. You can put a limited slip unit into it or just change out the whole 3rd member. Does the rear that's in the car have a cover on the back side?

Iit a 8 3/4 I just talked to him, he talk to summit and that all 8 3/4 ar3 not the same ,,,, hehe hes hard headed,, 76 years old ,, funny,, he said pull that p.o.s. out and find a dana60. I think lm getting on his never about the rearend,,,, dont think ill be asking him about the rearend agin, lol

An 8 3/4 rear is far from a P.O.S. There are different carriers though. As cranky
said above does the rear have a bolted cover on the back of the housing?

Its a 290 somthing,,gear,, no bolt holes , looks a ford 9inch as in no bolts on back, that is the reason for thepost, everything I read says I couldchange the 3rd to a posi. 355...my dad love him to death,, but damit man his set in his ways,,,8 3/4 would be fine with me if I can get posi, with the right gear,, anyone know where to get one..? 3rd member

Sounds like you have the 8 3/4 rear end. The center carrier is removable. Just pull the axles, drive shaft, and remove the 10 nuts that hold it to the housing and gravity will do the rest. Stay out of the way and put a strong pallet under there. There are 3 carriers, 741, 742 and 489. They all work well unless you are running a hemi. The 489 is the strongest one. I have used all 3 types, and interchanged them in the same housing with no problem. Get a carrier that has the gear ratio you want, and put it in there. The ratio is clearly stamped on the ring gear. You probably want a posi unit. I like the 3.55 posi for most street applications. I took the 2.76 open out of my 69 RR and put in a 3.91 posi, as I take it to the strip some times. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea good idea to let Pops rest. He prob tired. We can guide you in the right direction. Lol

nopar axle spotters guide.jpg

Could a Dana 60 rear end from a 95 dodge ram 2500 be used in a B body?

Thanks for all the help, now I know what im looking at...Statellite66 I wondering about a ram truck rear..

Could a Dana 60 rear end from a 95 dodge ram 2500 be used in a B body?

Anything can be made to work, but it's a complete different rear end...first, it's metric, second....u-joints are different, then there is the wheel lug pattern, not the same as our cars...brake lines, cables, width of entire housing, spring perches,...I can go on

unless you are building a 1000hp engine, stick with the 8-3/4 gearing...they are very stout and more plentiful than Dana's

Its a 290 somthing,,gear,, no bolt holes , looks a ford 9inch as in no bolts on back, that is the reason for thepost, everything I read says I couldchange the 3rd to a posi. 355...my dad love him to death,, but damit man his set in his ways,,,8 3/4 would be fine with me if I can get posi, with the right gear,, anyone know where to get one..? 3rd member

the 290 something would be 2.92

I think the wagon axles were heavier duty also. They weren't necked down like the rest of the passenger car axles. Wagon axles were the ones guys were always looking for when they narrowed a rear end because they could be resplined.

Nothing wrong with what you got....either find a different carrier unit with the gearset you want or buy the pieces to make it a sure grip with the gear you want.

Check C List in your area for a 3rd member. I bought a nice 3.91 posi out of Omaha for $175.00! It was a clutch type. Shipping was another 60.00. Still a good deal. Got a 3.91 posi trac unit in Denver, (cone) that was $400.00. There are 2 types of posi, clutch or cone. Cone is best. Also 2 sizes of yokes. Also check Perf parts 4 sale on this web site.

its called a SURE - GRIP

posi's are Chevrolet

just to clear the air

take the posi **** to Z28.com

Attachments

• Sure_Grip.jpg
    Sure_Grip.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 212
Iit a 8 3/4 I just talked to him, he talk to summit and that all 8 3/4 ar3 not the same ,,,, hehe hes hard headed,, 76 years old ,, funny,, he said pull that p.o.s. out and find a dana60. I think lm getting on his never about the rearend,,,, dont think ill be asking him about the rearend agin, lol

IMO Dana 60's are to heavy. The 8 3/4 is awesome. That tech guy was probably a Chevy hillbilly. I am shocked he didn't say "put a Ford 9" in her, that what I done did ta my Camara".

Auto Transport Service
Back