• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 Vent is leaking?

Ya. That makes sense. The trucks that have hoses have a small filter on the end of the hose.
Mike

Ya. That makes sense. The trucks that have hoses have a small filter on the end of the hose.
Mike

I think I used something like this with no side fittings and the bottom valve open and attached it to something like the shock crossmember and then forgot about it.
jzp-605-825-01_w_ml.jpg

Pint size.

Last edited:
A loop wont let the fluid back in. It will store it and when it is full it will blow out again. Physics.
You put the loop high up above the rear end. If the problem bad enough, it'll push oil out anyways.

Mike, what brand and weight of rear end oil are you using? I've always used aftermarket oils (because of stealership prices) then add the friction modifier. Done that for over 35 years with no problems.

You put the loop high up above the rear end. If the problem bad enough, it'll push oil out anyways.

Mike, what brand and weight of rear end oil are you using? I've always used aftermarket oils (because of stealership prices) then add the friction modifier. Done that for over 35 years with no problems.
I have a 5 gallon pail of NAPA gear lube. Probably 90W-140. This car has a 2.93 open differential. I drilled and tapped the housing to change lube.

80-90 should be more than good enough.....but wouldn't think the 140 would foam up. Are you sticking in more than 2 quarts?

80-90 should be more than good enough.....but wouldn't think the 140 would foam up. Are you sticking in more than 2 quarts?
Always fill until it runs out. Never had a problem like this before. I've been working on cars/trucks since 1965.
Mike

Always fill until it runs out. Never had a problem like this before. I've been working on cars/trucks since 1965.
Mike
You might have a year on me. Started taking old lawn mowers and edgers apart in 64 and started taking care of my sisters 65 Mudstain in 66 but it was late 68 before doing something kinda major like replace a 3 speed trans in my girlfriends Falcoon station wagon. I saw the benefit for both of us with that job lol. Anyways, I never had a problem doing fills like that either. How hot is the rear end when it pukes? Got a temp gun? Putting your open hand on the back of the center of the housing will tell you something too.....like how long can you hold your hand on it :D It won't be very long if it's 180! They usually won't get that hot unless you're running for a long distance or pulling something.

But fluids have changed over the years.
Figured if anything, they have changed for the better and have better anti foaming agents.....?

Last edited:
IMG_2101.JPG
Well, I ran a loop of hose to the top of the axle hump and it still leaked. Now I have installed a good used fuel filter in the vent hose to act as a accumulator. I think it will work on shorter trips. Next step is a vent bellows-sealed system at that point. I checked the lube spec too-I'm using 80-90.
Mike

View attachment 796220 Well, I ran a loop of hose to the top of the axle hump and it still leaked. Now I have installed a good used fuel filter in the vent hose to act as a accumulator. I think it will work on shorter trips. Next step is a vent bellows-sealed system at that point. I checked the lube spec too-I'm using 80-90.
Mike
Predicted in Post #20

Have you pulled the fill plug yet? If grease comes out it to full and needs to drain down.

Have you pulled the fill plug yet? If grease comes out it to full and needs to drain down.
Of course I have checked the level. I even added lube to bring the level up to the bottom of the opening.
Mike

Was the diff hanging, tires off the ground?

Was the diff hanging, tires off the ground?
To check the oil level? There's not much difference in levels if the car is on a drive on rack or one where the suspension hangs....

If the front end was higher than back if he did it on jackstands.

If the front end was higher than back if he did it on jackstands.
It's a bit harder to check the rear end level with the front end up and the back end on the ground.....:D At least it's not the way I'd do it :poke:And if the front end was on the ground and the back end was on jack stands, it still wouldn't make that much of a difference unless the back end was 2 feet higher :steering:

Thanks for the ideas fellas! I think I'll try a hose extension with a loop. I did change the lube but, it appeared that the problem has been around for a while before I bought the car. PO "babied" the car for 30 years before me and I just got back from a 250 mile trip-at least 30 miles of which were at 80 mph.
Mike
had same problem on heavy equipment took the vent out ran a 6 inch tube and vent on top. problems all gone clean tube on service and its all good.

Auto Transport Service
Back