• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.75" 2pc Side Gear Axle Spline Engagement?

Coronet 500

Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
Each gear is 3/4" thick, outer gear is fully engaged, inner gear is .425" (7/16") engaged, 5/16" end of axle to cross shaft.

425hp, 4.10 ratio, 3300lds with Bear's Pro Axle.

Is 7/16" enough, this is with retainer behind backing plate.

Putting it on the backing plate face will lose .1025", brake offset is ok.

Are the spline engagements you list stock? In other words this is what would have left the factory? I have no experience with how little spline contact it would take to fail, but if it left the factory like that you can be pretty sure it will hold up. Hard core launches with slicks - maybe over time you would have an issue.

I just rebuilt a clutch sure grip using dr. diff's new side gears set and it's a 1 piece design. I liked the fact that you don't need to use axles to align the factory 2 piece splines and you get full engagement of the splines. A truly bitchin' set up!!!!

Is there no thrust block & buttons on the cross shaft? Or did yo just not list that? I have a '62 FSM Sure-Grip cutaway drawing that show the inner gear engagement being less than the outer gear engagement, and not fully engaged in the inner gear.

If your axles butt against the thrust pin/block, then the splines should be fully engaged.....and how would you keep the backing plates against the axle housing if you place the retainers behind it?

The axles are aftermarket Bear's Pro Axle with green bearings.

Took it out today and have cut, welded and reinstalled and have it on tires. Measured so the axle touches the cross shaft with retainer against housing end flange, the thickness of the backing plate (.1045") will be the clearance between axle end and cross shaft.

Much happier now.

Auto Transport Service
Back