• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.75 gear swap

dickdale

Local time
2:09 PM
Reaction score
My rear end has a 3.91 in and it is making noise when letting go the gas pedal. As a will be using the car as a cruising in stead of racing it I’m going to change the gear and pinion to 3.23.

I haven’t done this before and want to know which parts I need. I have replaced the axle shaft bearings for green bearings. Can anyone help me out?

What kind of noise? Grind, Howl, clunk, scraping? Howl will need a gear set. Growl will need bearing(s). The others will need disassembly first. Axle bearings are seldom bad. But if you have a growl you’ll have to check them. You’ll need a foot and a dial inch pound torque wrench, spanner wrench, hydraulic press, sleeves to fit the inner race loosely to press on the new bearings, bearing removal fixture, yoke holding tool, fixture to hold the unit during work. And then the knoledge to read the pattern and set preload. To be honest they’re a time consuming pain. And I’ve done plenty. Pull the unit out and send it to an expert.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back