• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 and 3/4 yolk

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
Changing a yolk on an 8 and 3/4 center section that doesn't have a crush sleeve eliminator will disturb the gears correct? Anyway To tell if an assembled center has a crush sleeve eliminator without disassembling?

Changing a yolk on an 8 and 3/4 center section that doesn't have a crush sleeve eliminator will disturb the gears correct? Anyway To tell if an assembled center has a crush sleeve eliminator without disassembling?
Probably no true way to tell unless you open her up. Some people have installed solid donuts in place of the crush sleeve.

Not sure what was factory and how they were on Day one.

741 and 742 cases use shims to set the pinion bearing preload so just remove the yoke change the seal if needed and reinstall the new yoke and torque the nut down to 240 lbs/ft . on 489 cases no way to tell if it has the solid sleeve unless you tear it apart ,, cases from the factory use a crush sleeve to set the preload , now if your bearings are in good shape just remove the yoke change the seal if needed reinstall the new yoke and torque the nut down to 170-200 lbs/ft and you should be good to go ,, this is a one time cheat method . Proper way to do it on 489 cases is to install a new crush sleeve and reset the preload to 8-15 in/lbs with old bearings 20-30 in/lbs with new bearings ,, you will need a long breaker bar to do this as you can pull up to 400 + lbs/ft to start the crushing process , i use a 1 inch drive 40 inch long breaker bar and 2 hands on it to do this. if you go to a solid spacer in a 489 case use the procedure for the 741 and 742 cases.

For years, I save the crush sleeve by installing a thin shim (.020" or so) and get a little more crush out of the sleeve and reestablish the bearing preload.
Mike

which 8.75 center section are you working on? 741 + 742 do not have a crush sleeve. 489 does.

As noted above, we need to know if you're working on a 489 carrier? The other two "popular" carriers do not have a crush sleeve. No way to tell if someone was inside any carrier without opening it up. Many guys note the torque when loosening the yoke and add go right back or add a few to the spec on reassembly.

What I am trying to do with two rebuilt centers is transfer the 1350 yoke from the 742 to the 489 while leaving the 7:42 intact to sell. The 489 I am going to use. It was rebuilt with a crush sleeve eliminator.

What I am trying to do with two rebuilt centers is transfer the 1350 yoke from the 742 to the 489 while leaving the 7:42 intact to sell. The 489 I am going to use. It was rebuilt with a crush sleeve eliminator.
Both centers have 10 spline pinions

Auto Transport Service
Back