• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 speed transmission with a 5.7 HEMI 2016 for 1970 B Body

Can you put a modern 8 speed into a 1970 Superbird Tribute

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If yes, explain how

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A possibility might be t o contact Kevin from www.sykedecutuning.com he is a tuner and knows how to program the ecu. However I don't know if he knows how to program the ecu for the transmission...

Thank you, I’ll call him today!
I really appreciate all the help I’ve recieved!
A possibility might be t o contact Kevin from www.sykedecutuning.com he is a tuner and knows how to program the ecu. However I don't know if he knows how to program the ecu for the transmission...
I just went to his website and THANK YOU! I’m very optimistic because he lists that he is able to map the 8 speed, while it’s not for certain because it’s going into a 1970 Superbird Tribute, yet it’s closer then I’ve been so far. THANK YOU DICKDALE!

I would love to see more details, like close ups of the dash and console and a look under the car to see how THEY approached it all. VERY cool build. Anyone know where this car lives or where the shop is that built it? They did just what I did...made it all fit in the original car. It turned out as I wanted mine to, a good looking restoration from 10' and then, Oh, he has a 3G Hemi in there, then.....WHAT THE ****?????? when they walk around to see the interior. Fun and really comfortable to drive. Wonder what these guys did for the suspension.
These guys are located in Katy,Texas.

I took the easy way out and dropped the body over the shooting match that way I did not get involved with trying to mix and match anything. Everything is intact from the SRT-8 donor Charger. The engine never moved out of the chassis during the whole build.

View attachment 624416 HELP! I have this great 5.7 HEMI and it’s matching 8 speed transmission that came from a wrecked 2016 challenger RT and I want to put it on my Superbird Tribute...
has ANYONE ever put an 8 speed in a b body? If so, I’d like to find out how you did it please..
I think you shoul call street and performance in AZ the guy is very friendly and easy to go with he sell the wire harness for the modern hemi swap as long as the A8 trans I agree with Greg is a no go.

If you figure out what is the best option please let me know cause I’m in the same predicament

If you figure out what is the best option please let me know cause I’m in the same predicament
I’m abandoning the 8 speed... just too much for a backyard mechanic..also all experts say unanimously it won’t wrk.....

I’m going with an automatic transmission that has been built to accommodate the new motors hp....
I think it’s a 904, I’m trading my 440/727 for cash and the transmission from a friend...
Frankly, I want it on the road, and may go back later on with the 8 speed once someone figures out how..
Good luck

I’m going with an automatic transmission that has been built to accommodate the new motors hp....
I think it’s a 904, I’m trading my 440/727 for cash and the transmission from a friend...
Frankly, I want it on the road, and may go back later on with the 8 speed once someone figures out how..
Good luck
Yeah same here

Keep it simple, 904 or 727 w/ GV. No reason to even attempt to get an 8HP70 transmission to work.

Mopar dropped the ball, they should have had retro-fit kits for 8HP70/8HP90 transmissions immediately along with their plug-and-play kit for the 5.7/6.4 HEMI. Just seems like common sense to me.

Keep it simple, 904 or 727 w/ GV. No reason to even attempt to get an 8HP70 transmission to work.

Mopar dropped the ball, they should have had retro-fit kits for 8HP70/8HP90 transmissions immediately along with their plug-and-play kit for the 5.7/6.4 HEMI. Just seems like common sense to me.
Absolutely 100% agree!!!!!

Read a thread on Moparts where a guy is working with Russell Drake at Soundgermanautomotive.com on the 8 speed swap solution. This is the guy who beat the Nag1 swap by building a stand alone computer . I have his piece in my GTX and it is awesome. He says he has the programming solved for the 8 speed now.

Read a thread on Moparts where a guy is working with Russell Drake at Soundgermanautomotive.com on the 8 speed swap solution. This is the guy who beat the Nag1 swap by building a stand alone computer . I have his piece in my GTX and it is awesome. He says he has the programming solved for the 8 speed now.
Thank you Darius
I’ll look tonight after work!

That would be a game changer if the 8HP70 was a stand-alone upgrade for our platform.

Hmmmmmm, with my daughters project car coming up I'll be watching... sounds like great option if it works out.

Auto Transport Service
Back