• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 speed transmission with a 5.7 HEMI 2016 for 1970 B Body

Can you put a modern 8 speed into a 1970 Superbird Tribute

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If yes, explain how

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have you made any more progress on the 8 speed. would you have to run a trans adaptor to run a 904 behind your 5.7? I think the bellhousing is different, right?

Yes, I actually hooked u
Have you made any more progress on the 8 speed. would you have to run a trans adaptor to run a 904 behind your 5.7? I think the bellhousing is different, right?
p with a guy named Russel Drake with German automotive and he has Cracked the 8 speed code, and will sell a stand alone system for the 8 speed for $1,000.

special thanks to Darius for hooking me up with him.
While I’m not ready for his part right now, he is looking for a few people to test his product...
That has motivated me to rock on and get this project done!!!!

Yes, I actually hooked u

p with a guy named Russel Drake with German automotive and he has Cracked the 8 speed code, and will sell a stand alone system for the 8 speed for $1,000.

special thanks to Darius for hooking me up with him.
While I’m not ready for his part right now, he is looking for a few people to test his product...
That has motivated me to rock on and get this project done!!!!
That is awesome.

I’ll
That is awesome.
keep everyone posted.. as an FYI, I bought the engine and trans out of a wrecked 2016 Dodge Challenger RT with only 7000 miles...5.7hemi with the 8 speed connected to it.. I also have the original shifter which I’ll need to use, which I need to figure out where I’m going to put that....with a bench seat, I may customize a 4 speed hurst handle to work, but I’ll see....the original shifter has the +/- button for shifting on the fly... not necessary but cool....

Awesome Brother! I will be watching to see how this plays out. Best of luck to you on this build!

If the 8 speed doesn't do it for you, you can also use the A518 RH/RE46... It has overdrive and lockup...

Are there any updates on this? I have a line on a 392/8Speed and have talked at length with Russell, and have the electronics and fuel system figured out. I Just want to know how much sheet metal surgery is going to be required to fit the 8 speed under the car

I’m sorry guys I gave up and bought a six speed manual.....

I hate to hear that the 8 speed didn't work out, But I bet the 6 speed will be a lot easier.

There is still some tunnel work to do, and I’ve already modified the pedals which was easier then expected.. last, there’s nothing like SHIFTING THROUGH THE GEARS AND ACTUALLY DRIVING THE WHEELS OFF THE CAR.... instead of just putting the right foot down...

8470A384-79AB-4653-BA84-ACB3B501606A.jpeg

Any updates, I’m looking to to purchase a Hellcat, with or without trans. Thank you.

Are there any updates on this? I have a line on a 392/8Speed and have talked at length with Russell, and have the electronics and fuel system figured out. I Just want to know how much sheet metal surgery is going to be required to fit the 8 speed under the car

You can use a tunnel from a modern LX car. The tunnel is higher and a little bit wider. Need to make an custom crossmember and bracket form the trans.

Any updates, I’m looking to to purchase a Hellcat, with or without trans. Thank you.
Uhhh...I thought this thread was about using the new drivetrain in a classic car.

Uhhh...I thought this thread was about using the new drivetrain in a classic car.
I guess I need to be more specific, Hellcat engine in a 68 Charger, with a 8 speed trans. And what the issue with it were. Why he didn’t go with the 8 speed and went with the manual 6.

Contact lxmodguy, he’s got the scoop on the controller for the 8 speed.

Lxmodguy is where I got the controller for my NAG1. He could NOT help me with the programming, although he did TRY real hard. In the end, Russell Drake is who KNOWS how to program these things so save yourself the time and just go direct to Russell. (Russell designed and built these after market controllers)

My 5.7 was a test mule and done in 2006. It was a very difficult job for it's time. There are a few queer corks my car still has because of having to work around issues there were no answers for at the time. Computer issues were done by one failure at a time. To start my car the key has to be put in the start position for 10 seconds before starting, if you don't, the car will start and never accelerate above about 20 mph no matter how much gas pedal you throw at it. I pull over, turn it off, turn the key to on, listen to the clicking of the computer and fuel pump priming, then start it again and it's perfect. I didn't build my car and the builder spent alot of time and money to make it work. At the time there was no floor shifters available for a 5 speed truck automatic. Mine is set up for, park,reverse, neutral and drive only as far a manually shifting. American shifters now make one. Lewis and Clark didn't have it easy, but those that followed did. No help, just some insight.

My 5.7 was a test mule and done in 2006. It was a very difficult job for it's time. There are a few queer corks my car still has because of having to work around issues there were no answers for at the time. Computer issues were done by one failure at a time. To start my car the key has to be put in the start position for 10 seconds before starting, if you don't, the car will start and never accelerate above about 20 mph no matter how much gas pedal you throw at it. I pull over, turn it off, turn the key to on, listen to the clicking of the computer and fuel pump priming, then start it again and it's perfect. I didn't build my car and the builder spent alot of time and money to make it work. At the time there was no floor shifters available for a 5 speed truck automatic. Mine is set up for, park,reverse, neutral and drive only as far a manually shifting. American shifters now make one. Lewis and Clark didn't have it easy, but those that followed did. No help, just some insight.
I didn't know you have a 3rd gen in your car Ulli.

Look at my garage for all the information

Auto Transport Service
Back