• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 speed transmission with a 5.7 HEMI 2016 for 1970 B Body

Can you put a modern 8 speed into a 1970 Superbird Tribute

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If yes, explain how

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Baddog67

Local time
7:59 AM
Reaction score
91569E4B-7CDD-4B59-AD65-123604E8AF93.jpeg
HELP! I have this great 5.7 HEMI and it’s matching 8 speed transmission that came from a wrecked 2016 challenger RT and I want to put it on my Superbird Tribute...
has ANYONE ever put an 8 speed in a b body? If so, I’d like to find out how you did it please..

I have not done this but I think if you cut the floor pan out then install
After it is all in rebuild floor

Yes, need to modify your floor pan and trans. crossmemember mounting. Graveyard Carz shoved a Tremec T-56 6-speed in a SB tribute.

Thank you, I appreciate your help. I figured on removing most of the floor pan, then determine how much I need to expand so I have about a 4 inch gap all around the trans... I’m more concerned with the electronics, and rear crossmember...probably have to fabricate my own...

Hope you got everything with that trans. Personally, I'd put the 6 spd behind it. Less fuss with wiring and computers, and more fun

look at modern bullet thread keepat's project is killer!

Without the original computer, the transmission will be useless. It absolutely will not work. EVERYTHING in that transmission is computer controlled and nobody offers a stand-alone computer for the A8 automatic transmission.
When the "RoadKill" guys put the Hellcat engine and A8 trans in the 68 Charger, they used a factory computer that actually required them to rig up the original taillights from the Hellcat. You see, the transmission requires various electronic inputs from several points in the car.
The Wife and I have a 2015 Challenger R/T and I would LOVE to use the A8 in my 70 Charger. The electronics are a total deal breaker though.

Thank you for your reply... I need help to make this work, I’m sure there are plenty if people who will tell me why it won’t work...
So here’s additional info. I have the following from the wrecked Challenger RT:
5.7 Engine
8 speed automatic transmission with rear transmission mount (which will need modifications)
Original Computer
Original Harness
Original shifter
Original Anti-lock brack module

What I’ve purchased from Dodge using the wrecked vin number:

the body control module
star connectors
new key fob
wireless ignition node (the start button)
ref hub
and a passive entry antenna.

I also purchased a set of motor mounts from Mancini Racing, I’ll probably need to fabricate a rear trans mount, unless someone knows where I can get one...

Please offer guidance, this is a major undertaking for a backyard mechanic..

I just glued in the back window plug,,lotsa work...

ED7280F2-A72C-4EA5-8DA6-C1A286BADC3C.jpeg DB900338-2A34-4490-97F2-142CD9305E9E.jpeg

While I do respect that you have great intentions, it would be irresponsible to just say..."You can do it !!"...without letting you know that so far, everyone that has done something like this was more than just a "backyard mechanic". The electronics of modern engine and transmission swaps force builders to REALLY improve their skill set.
You will need to be on a friendly basis with DiabloSport for tuning as well as a few other as yet unknown vendors for tech support. Look through the build threads online to see who others have used. It is possible but it will not be an easy job. Good luck.

Thank yiu Kern Dog! While I’m sure of my own limitations and skill sets, having the WORLD available for guidance and support, should help get me through this....

I. Going to use Hotwire.com to help with programming, as well as some of the great techie geeks at Dodge...it seems that people are really rooting for this to work.....I surprised at the number of young people (under 30) never heard of a Superbird....I’d love to make this my daily driver.... when is the last time you’ve seen one on the road?

I agree that it will be a great car. Weighing less than a new Challenger should result in the car being quicker and faster once everything is worked out.
FBBO member "Darius" has a 2007 5.7 and 5 speed auto in his 70 GTX. I recall as he was building the car with a professional builder....the hurdles he faced were difficult but he did come through. The 5 speed auto does have some aftermarket tech support that took awhile to develop. I hope that the A8 gets enough interest that someone figures out a stand-alone controller for us regular guys to buy. The A8 is really a nice transmission. The car always seems poised to move as if it is never in a wrong gear. So often when driving a 727 car, rolling along at 45-55 it feels like it is too slow to be in 3rd and the car feels a little lazy with light throttle. The A8 responds well to light throttle inputs.

Check this out....

For transmission support try the following vendors

Southern hot rod or high horse performance

You can also reach out to Cleveland power and performance for advice or parts needed to make it work.

The one thing NOT on your list is "tone rings and speed sensors". If the 8 speed is anything like the 5speed NAG1 it gets much of its input from the sensors on the rear axle. This was MY problem in that I did not mangle the rear of my GTX in order to get the rear axle assy from the 07 Charger to fit. While it would be awesome to have that suspension back there, it just really would have been ugly the way I was building the car. I even had to change the stock instruments and completely rewire the car because all of the computer info is routed through the circuit board the instrument cluster is mounted to. You WILL need those sensors I am pretty sure. A guy named Russell Drake at Soundgermanautomotive.com developed an after market TCM that mounted on the output shaft of the transmission so that is how I got mine to work. I do not know if he is doing anything with the 8 speed as the NAG 1 is a Mercedes thing and that is his expertise. You could contact him and see if he has any info for you.
It WOULD be interesting to know where the 8 speed gets it's info. Maybe the engineers got simpler and now have that on the transmission shaft now????
I also know Diablo Sport could NOT tune that transmission, we tried that. This was 6-7 years back so who know what is out there now.

The one thing NOT on your list is "tone rings and speed sensors". If the 8 speed is anything like the 5speed NAG1 it gets much of its input from the sensors on the rear axle. This was MY problem in that I did not mangle the rear of my GTX in order to get the rear axle assy from the 07 Charger to fit. While it would be awesome to have that suspension back there, it just really would have been ugly the way I was building the car. I even had to change the stock instruments and completely rewire the car because all of the computer info is routed through the circuit board the instrument cluster is mounted to. You WILL need those sensors I am pretty sure. A guy named Russell Drake at Soundgermanautomotive.com developed an after market TCM that mounted on the output shaft of the transmission so that is how I got mine to work. I do not know if he is doing anything with the 8 speed as the NAG 1 is a Mercedes thing and that is his expertise. You could contact him and see if he has any info for you.
It WOULD be interesting to know where the 8 speed gets it's info. Maybe the engineers got simpler and now have that on the transmission shaft now????
I also know Diablo Sport could NOT tune that transmission, we tried that. This was 6-7 years back so who know what is out there now.
Yes you are correct, they both need to be added.. this isn't easy...

Check this out....

I would love to see more details, like close ups of the dash and console and a look under the car to see how THEY approached it all. VERY cool build. Anyone know where this car lives or where the shop is that built it? They did just what I did...made it all fit in the original car. It turned out as I wanted mine to, a good looking restoration from 10' and then, Oh, he has a 3G Hemi in there, then.....WHAT THE ****?????? when they walk around to see the interior. Fun and really comfortable to drive. Wonder what these guys did for the suspension.

I would love to see more details, like close ups of the dash and console and a look under the car to see how THEY approached it all. VERY cool build. Anyone know where this car lives or where the shop is that built it?
Thank you, I just finished restoring the dash, I just need to put it in the car, delaying until I add a vintage AC kit, and I’m still deciding how to get everything to connect up....right now, it just looks like a rallye dash... the car is in LaBelle, Florida at my farm..it’s a small but well appointed private shop for a backyard mechanic... let me know if you’re ever in South Florida...you’re welcome to drop by..

DCDB033B-44CB-434B-917D-407FFB1C1401.jpeg 6988BD3F-898D-4380-8FEB-80E821AC8E34.jpeg

PS, I know the emergency light switch is for a 69, but I wanted that switch to use as an accessory switch..

You could buy the Mopar Harness. This will get the engine running for a stand alone setup. As for the trans there are no stand alone options at the moment. You could consider the NAG1 transmission...

You could buy the Mopar Harness. This will get the engine running for a stand alone setup. As for the trans there are no stand alone options at the moment. You could consider the NAG1 transmission...
Thank you, that may be the path I take.... I have the original harness and computer that I need to send out to have it match my Drivetrain.. we shall see

Auto Transport Service
Back