• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 track car recorder

Mike Szadaj

Local time
3:39 PM
Reaction score
I came across this car 8 track last week. It is made by Learjet, model A 260. The unusual function of it is that it is a recorder. There are jacks on either side, one for a mic with an on off switch, and the other for just a mic. I know Mopar came out with a cassette player and recorder in the early 70s. Up until I bought this one, I had never seen an 8 track recorder for your car. I have heard that Bill Lear, who invented the 8 track, did so with installing them in his famous jets in mind. I wonder if he was catering to those same rich people who bought his planes with this recorder. Have any of you guys ever seen or heard about an 8 track car recorder?

E14ADA80-1872-4D45-81FA-3258472FFC8D.jpeg

I once saw one in a GTX in the early 70's. It had a mic attached. The owner was a guy who detailed and sold cars. He said it was a rare option, but I don't remember what year the car was.

I once saw one in a GTX in the early 70's. It had a mic attached. The owner was a guy who detailed and sold cars. He said it was a rare option, but I don't remember what year the car was.
That fellow is still local to me. I'll try to reach out to him.

I think it was a rare factory option also. Maybe from GM?

That is cool as hell! I've heard of 8-track home recorders, but never a car version. That would be worth cleaning up, check for operation, and install in a '60s car. Cool period accessory.

I like the discwasher jar, haven't seen one of those in a while!!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back