• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8-track player in factory stereo location?

kaj750

Local time
1:29 AM
Reaction score
I've been searching here for a couple days...
Taking all the threads and putting them together: It seems there is a factory 8-track player for the 1969 Dodge Charger, IF I can find one. It also looks like there is a different plastic surround than what I have for my AM radio. Is this all correct?
If so, does anyone have a suggestion on where I could find everything I needed to convert my AM radio over to a *functioning* 8-track player?

Thanks, in advance!

I still have the 8 track radio in my red 70 Charger. There are slight differences between the 69 and 70 radio and bezels. Mine always has Van Halen I in it. Lol.

I didn’t even hook my radio up. I just put one under the dash, wired it into an equalizer/booster, I have 2 6x9s in the package tray, and 2 4” in the dash. It’s amazing how good it sounds!

7B06062B-4B33-4004-A00C-40E507C0FEF3.jpeg

I didn’t even hook my radio up. I just put one under the dash, wired it into an equalizer/booster, I have 2 6x9s in the package tray, and 2 4” in the dash. It’s amazing how good it sounds!

View attachment 1594850
This ^^^ was the common look back in the day. We'd do under dash 8-track installs, most times with the slide-out mount so you'd take the unit with you when you parked the car. A couple of Jensen 6x9 on the shelf, a couple of small rounds in the kick panels, and you're ready to rock.

Taking all the threads and putting them together: It seems there is a factory 8-track player for the 1969 Dodge Charger, IF I can find one. It also looks like there is a different plastic surround than what I have for my AM radio. Is this all correct?
If so, does anyone have a suggestion on where I could find everything I needed to convert my AM radio over to a *functioning* 8-track player?

Thanks, in advance!
I have one I believe. DM if you want to discuss. Has Dodge face plate but understand it’ll need to be gone through like most people send out

Feel free to message me re: your 8 track radio needs. I have several restored units on hand. Joe

IMG_0967.jpg

Thanks, in advance!
Hi I have a factory AM 8track system from a 1969 Doge charger for sale in nice working condition my ph is 403 843 2330 frank thank yu

My '69 r/t has the factory am 8 track. Haven't tried to use it in decades,..lol.

Glad to see some one else helping keep the 8 track alive. I did this a couple years ago and if you can get one already repaired i would go that way i had to have mine restored works good but it took about 8 mounts to get it done and lots of $$$. If you have the rally dash you should be able to get a bezel for it but if like me you have a standard dash you have better luck winning the lottery then finding a bezel that is why i had to make mine for my 69 GTX. The one thing to consider is do you want restored Factory witch is AM 8 track only or like i did Factory case but upgraded electronics to AM FM 8 track with blue tooth aux input HD radio. Either way you will love it when you are done. Usually i have Styx's Paradise Theater or AC DC Back in Black but you can see in the picture you cant go wrong with Boston either.20210521_122558.jpg20220521_160131.jpg

Glad to see some one else helping keep the 8 track alive. I did this a couple years ago and if you can get one already repaired i would go that way i had to have mine restored works good but it took about 8 mounts to get it done and lots of $$$. If you have the rally dash you should be able to get a bezel for it but if like me you have a standard dash you have better luck winning the lottery then finding a bezel that is why i had to make mine for my 69 GTX. The one thing to consider is do you want restored Factory witch is AM 8 track only or like i did Factory case but upgraded electronics to AM FM 8 track with blue tooth aux input HD radio. Either way you will love it when you are done. Usually i have Styx's Paradise Theater or AC DC Back in Black but you can see in the picture you cant go wrong with Boston either.View attachment 1669039View attachment 1669040
My go to Journey Infinity. 800+ 8 Tracks here lol. It’s cheap music. Only 8 months? How about 1 year and paid extra to be bumped only to send back because it played 4 tracks at once and then waited another 2 weeks. They forgot to tighten track screw they said.

61195043495__D3286DC0-3DCC-4706-BAC3-39F42B1EC087.jpeg

61195299981__009051EE-FDF9-4AF6-A9F0-45814741DBC3.jpeg

Glad to see some one else helping keep the 8 track alive. I did this a couple years ago and if you can get one already repaired i would go that way i had to have mine restored works good but it took about 8 mounts to get it done and lots of $$$. If you have the rally dash you should be able to get a bezel for it but if like me you have a standard dash you have better luck winning the lottery then finding a bezel that is why i had to make mine for my 69 GTX. The one thing to consider is do you want restored Factory witch is AM 8 track only or like i did Factory case but upgraded electronics to AM FM 8 track with blue tooth aux input HD radio. Either way you will love it when you are done. Usually i have Styx's Paradise Theater or AC DC Back in Black but you can see in the picture you cant go wrong with Boston either.View attachment 1669039View attachment 1669040
Love t!!!! You should post how you modified it and share. I’ve been asked several times by wood grain owners

I took a stock radio bezel made a fixture to hold it reversed engineered the dimensions and cut it out on my CNC mill. I made 3 of them just in case i had an issue but the one i have in my car is the first one so i have a couple extras in my hip pocket just in case for a back up. It was not to difficult to do it just took a while to come up with right numbers to cut it to.

I took a stock radio bezel made a fixture to hold it reversed engineered the dimensions and cut it out on my CNC mill. I made 3 of them just in case i had an issue but the one i have in my car is the first one so i have a couple extras in my hip pocket just in case for a back up. It was not to difficult to do it just took a while to come up with right numbers to cut it to.

I'm after the 8-track puteky for fun and nostalgia so that's been past of problem. All the repaired/functioning today I'm finding are $1000. I can't bring myself to cough up that kind of money for something I think is neat, especially when Bluetooth options are 5% of the cost. .
I'll keep looking.
Which dash is the rally dash? I assume the textured black? If so, that's what I have, though I wish I could convert to the "wood" panels.

I repair 8 tracks and it's the parts availability that costs $$$$. If you just need a belt, head cleaning, and capacitors your 8 track can be repaired for under $200. If you need a pinch roller, motor, etc the price climbs fast.

My opinion is AM radio is going away. Personally I think this is a tragedy as AM radio recently provided the only communication available during the Maui fires. In most emergencies AM radio is infallible and the best communication method.

Anyhow, I recommend converting these to modern electronic and capabilities. If you do decide to restore your device, keep in mind you can have connectivity from your phone to the radio with a Redi Rad.

I repair 8 tracks and it's the parts availability that costs $$$$. If you just need a belt, head cleaning, and capacitors your 8 track can be repaired for under $200. If you need a pinch roller, motor, etc the price climbs fast.

My opinion is AM radio is going away. Personally I think this is a tragedy as AM radio recently provided the only communication available during the Maui fires. In most emergencies AM radio is infallible and the best communication method.

Anyhow, I recommend converting these to modern electronic and capabilities. If you do decide to restore your device, keep in mind you can have connectivity from your phone to the radio with a Redi Rad.
Well depending what I do with my backups I might send you something to repair. Great to know there’s a member if you do them. Last guy so sloooooooooow and still waited after extra fees and had to send back again SMH

Auto Transport Service
Back