• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 track tapes

'Craig' you were Hi-$$$ guys :poke:

I had a 'chrome' slide in & out rack, under dash 1974-75-ish
so I could use it/them in my Power Wagon or my Charger, RR, MG etc.
quick connects IIRC 'a trailer plug'
with a 'Radio Shack' Kraco (spell) brand 8 track
& a FM tuner converter too
& later a 2 track before that (precursor to the cassette)
remember 'reverb knob/setting' for/on speakers

My best friend in HS had an 8 track in his Firebird, but I had a cassette player in my GTX. I told him cassettes were the wave of the future and he just laughed at me. Look at us now. LOL

here is a way to play CD using an 8 track player
20220824_060014.jpg
20220824_060030.jpg

8 Tracks had excellent sound quality. I had one that was FM too. With Jensen 3-way 6x9's and 4 inch dual cones, it had rich sound.
A pop song that sounded good the radio was:

Alright Sam, since I don't do RED X's, I'm going to write it out that I disagree with you on your statement about "excellent" sound quality. "Excellent" is quite literally a :bs:statement.

If you truly believe that then I say you are not old enough to have been there in the '70s to experience 8-tracks back in the day.

Tolerable or moderately adequate would be a more accurate description of 8 track audio quality back then and now. We used them because thats all we had back then. If they were so "excellent" they would still be used today.

Both my ‘69 Daytona and A12 Bee have factory AM-8-track players. I have a pretty good collection of pre-recorded and blank tapes.
Also have a Craig 8-Track recorder in mint condition from back in the day that I record some of my favorite Vinyl onto 8track.
I like them, they have a softer/bassier sound to them.

Yup. They referred to them as “carts”.
And in movie theaters the 70mm film reels were called,"platters". Worked on the same principle. Some theaters had the projectors in a room with windows in the lobby where you could watch them operate.

Retrochad in Texas rebuilds AM 8-Track radio units ..... Caution - Techo talk and complicated explanations follow....as well as the words "Ford & Mercury Grand Marquis"

:lol:

Holy S*#T, i had a 65 Impala too, as my first car, and remember installing a Craig, 8 track player in that car.

This is the player that i had, back in the day.
Transferred it over to the 71 Cuda that i purchased, when it came to the dealership.

View attachment 1331805
Craig power play, I had several

Auto Transport Service
Back