• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

80's 318 into a 65 Coronet

junkyard junky

Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
I replace the factory poly 318 in my coronet with a 318 from a 87 Dodge Diplomat. The problem I'm having is on the factory 65 engine the lower radiator hose outlet is on the driver's side. On the 87 engine, the water pump outlet is on the passenger side. Also the power steering pump is mounted lower on this engine than on the 65 engine. I was wondering if I was able to put the factory 65 water pump onto the 87 engine? All my problems would be solved, I think. My next step is to see how close the 87 Diplomat radiator fits in the 65 coronet.

Anyone every put an 80's 318 into a 63-65?

delete123.jpg

delete122.jpg

Did you ask ColdCase if they could make a radiator with the lower hose on the passenger side? I dont think you can switch the water pumps.

You will have to use the balancer, timing cover, and water pump from the early motor for it to work. The timing cover has the timing mark on the opposite side because of the wp outlet, and therefore the balancer (early one) needs to be used also. This will solve all of your problems.

Im not familiar with the poly waterpump but the early 340,s and corresponding 318 la motors also had a drivers passenger exit for the waterpump that will bolt to the new 318. You would probably have to use the Poly PS pump though because the 87 pump bracket will interfere with the hose exit on the pump. That all being said you are better off just going with a new radiator or the Dippy radiator swap. My 340 in my Coronet had a similar issue and I tried swapping to the driver exit pump to match the radiator that was in the car and thats how I know the pump bracket will interfere. Also the LA318 has the timing marks on the driver side so the driver exit pump makes it a pain to see your marks.

I would change the radiator.
I did this to my 63 beater. Replaced the poly with a 70's 318.Used a 1975 Cordoba rad.In 1975 both small and big block had the bottom hose on the same side.
I ordered one for a big block and had to do a little trimming of the rad brackets for it to fit.The small block one may have different(smaller) dimensions.Only photo I got.

oopps ! Messed that up.
IMG_2858.jpg

That's definitely seen better days.

I think the only thing that can swap from Poly to LA is the crank, maybe balancer too. Two totally different engines. Especially external accessories.

Here is what interchanges with the late A engines and the LAs.

• Distributor (electronic or standard points style)
  • Distributor/oil pump drive gear
  • Oil pump
  • Oil pan (except 360)
  • Fuel pump
  • Timing chain and sprocket
  • LA 318 ring set
  • Hi-torque or standard starter
  • Flywheel
  • Connecting rods
  • Crankshafts (including reground 360)
  • Rod bearings
  • Main bearings (except 360)
  • Valvesprings/retainers/keepers
  • Harmonic balancers from internally balanced 273/318/340 engines (may use timing tape where timing marks do not align)
  • Timing case cover and matching water pump
  • Thermostat housing and thermostat
And the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back