• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8hp swap behind 440

505Coronet

Local time
2:37 AM
Reaction score
So i got asked to elaborate on my swap a little bit, for starters this is not a B-body, nor is it even a car. But the principles and method of the swap should be the seem. Fitment for each car will be different, but not as bad as you may think, ill elaborate below

For starters i picked up a 8hp75 out of a 2019 ram

p4lVyIN.png

I bolted a JVX adapter plate to the front to go from the modern hemi/SB pattern to BB pattern. Nice piece with good instructions, i was one of if not the first to attempt this so I'm sure his instructions have only gotten better but for the mechanically inclined they were fine.

Here's some general dimensions of the 8HP, the trans was 3" shorter than a 727, the same overall width, however the "trunk" carries width farther back than a 727, this is where id imagine most run into clearance issues with the factory tunnel

X0r7wYO.png

DLsms1f.png

E02lEuU.png

Since I'm running this standalone without any of the inputs from a G3 i talked to Russell over at Sound German Auto who walked me through what he provided and what i was looking for. He provides a TCM interface module that the inputs the trans needs to function, and flashes the TCM to look for those.

As such you need to remove the TCM to send it to him, which is on the back of the valve body

xPIHaan.png

and she's out

ZqE6qDf.png

From there the only other part you need is the correct shifter for the transmission file you will be using. Even though i pulled my trans out of a 2019 ram i couldn't stand the knob shifter, and i wanted to have the manual shift option that the rams dont offer. So i pulled the console shifter out of a 2019 charger and had Russell upload trackhawk programing (due to mine being 4x4, most others would just use a challenger/charge file) that allows the use of the console shifter and 4x4

Excuse the rough install this was still during testing

YSSP9pG.jpg

I also opted for the digital gear indicator (the small black gauge wrapped around my dash bar) and paddle shifters, all options offered by Russell.

Once i received all my parts the outputs needed from the engine/chassis are:

Brake Input - which i grabbed signal off the taillight switch
RPM - grabbed signal of the tach
Throttle Position - couple different options here, i have MSD throttle body injection so i used a tap on that harness but you can put a spring loaded sensor on the peddle or the carb linkage
Power/Ground - self explanatory

So this is where it gets a little more application specific

My 440 is warmed over and needed a higher stall than stock for optimal range, Suncoast was the only shop willing to take the stall up to 3500 for me. So i sent the stock one out to them and let them do their thing.

Once the plugs are all in, and the laptop lights up with green lights its time for the test drive. Now again for most cars this programming is probably really close out of the box, since i have 5.38 gears and 43" tall tires, it left a little to be desired, but in manual mode i could shift at the correct times and oh was it so sweet!

So i contacted Dodge Boy over at HP tuners and talked about my unique application and how he couldn't use traditional input values since the 440 did not provide them (part of tuning the trans is seeing what the engine is doing at the same time) and we went through 3-4 calibration files and he absolutely nailed it.

Was this just a 'can I do this' project or did the tf8 offer you something special on this application?

Was this just a 'can I do this' project or did the tf8 offer you something special on this application?

Huge improvements in the high-speed off-road application. the 727 just dropped too much RPMs for the range of the 440 wanted to be in. I was either revved out in 2nd or lugging in 3rd.

Also made it much more driveable on the road, prior I it is the same scenario where i was either tach'd in 2nd to do road speeds or doing 5-10mph over to keep the 440 in range of the powerband.

Also has a lower 1st gear to crawl ratio improved as well.

Lastly the non locking convertor really built up some heat constantly going between gears, the 8hp runs at 185 all day long and it makes me very happy. I've seen 280s out of the 727 after some long hard pull with up and downshifts.

Auto Transport Service
Back