• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

904 Transmission Control/Shift Lever What do I need?

Charger72

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
Hello All, my 72 Charger with 360/904 started life as a 318/904 column car. I went with a B&M Quick Silver shifter back in the day and used their "selector lever" on the transmission.

Fast forward 30 years and I just realized today that my setup is not stock; as I am converting to the floor mount Slapstik looks like I don't have the correct lever(s).

I have read as much as I can bear and have been looking at parts numbers and keep coming across parts for the 727 but not 904. Do they use the same lever(s)

This is what I have. I don't have access to the car right now but the mechanic looking it over can't shift into 1 and 2, but P, D, R, & N are okay.

If anyone can let me know what parts I need it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

53610124532_8f89f59d99_c.jpg

Getting closer to firing up.

53611486675_20cb6f7b00_z.jpg

Last edited:
Your shift lever and your kickdown lever look factory.
Look for problems elsewhere.

Hello All, my 72 Charger with 360/904 started life as a 318/904 column car. I went with a B&M Quick Silver shifter back in the day and used their "selector lever" on the transmission.

Fast forward 30 years and I just realized today that my setup is not stock; as I am converting to the floor mount Slapstik looks like I don't have the correct lever(s).
So, you still have the B&M selector lever? But did not retain the OEM lever?
I have read as much as I can bear and have been looking at parts numbers and keep coming across parts for the 727 but not 904. Do they use the same lever(s)
Yes.
This is what I have. I don't have access to the car right now but the mechanic looking it over can't shift into 1 and 2, but P, D, R, & N are okay.
Do you mean the slapstick does not have enough stroke from P to 1st so, the leverage is not there? That is confusing as everything below P should also be affected by the incorrect leverage ratio.
Mike
If anyone can let me know what parts I need it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

View attachment 1634928

Getting closer to firing up.

View attachment 1634930

727 and 904 use the same valve body and shift lever. So I'm confused how the trans lever is the problem.

727 and 904 use the same valve body and shift lever. So I'm confused how the trans lever is the problem.
Shift lever is totally different between 727 and 904. He has the aftermarket lever on there. He needs the longer factory lever like what’s on the tranny. Probably one to one and a half inch longer. Kim

493 Mike, yes I still have the B&M selector lever. Since the car was originally a column shift car, I never had any slapstik parts; I collected those over the years.
Yes, the slapstik does not have enough stroke from P to 1st. Yeah confused myself.

Cop car wagon, I don't know if the parts I showed in the picture are correct or not.

Kim - that's what the mechanic seemed to think, I will try to find the longer factory lever.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I will update if/when I get this sorted out.

Auto Transport Service
Back