• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

904 Transmission mount questions

dennis degeneffe

Local time
5:44 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1965 belvedere II and I am replacing my cable shift 904 transmission with a 1966 and later 904. I need a trans mount for the new transmission. The bolt pattern is different on the these two transmissions so I cannot use my old trans mount. Even if I wanted to customize My old one I cannot because the rubber is bad.
So, do I need a trans cross member from a 1966 and later b body and a trans mount from that same year? Will a 1966 and later trans cross member fit my car?
Or do I just need to buy a 1966 and later trans mount. Is there a conversion trans mount available for my particular set up? Please do not suggest Schumacher, I tried them last year, nothing was available. I believe they are out of business now.
Also, any suggestions on a vendor for a torque strap for this 1965 small block b body?

Thanx in advance and stay groovy!

I have a 1965 belvedere II and I am replacing my cable shift 904 transmission with a 1966 and later 904. I need a trans mount for the new transmission. The bolt pattern is different on the these two transmissions so I cannot use my old trans mount. Even if I wanted to customize My old one I cannot because the rubber is bad.
So, do I need a trans cross member from a 1966 and later b body and a trans mount from that same year? Will a 1966 and later trans cross member fit my car?
Or do I just need to buy a 1966 and later trans mount. Is there a conversion trans mount available for my particular set up? Please do not suggest Schumacher, I tried them last year, nothing was available. I believe they are out of business now.
Also, any suggestions on a vendor for a torque strap for this 1965 small block b body?

Thanx in advance and stay groovy!
Can you fabricate? If so, cut the mount section off the cross member and build new mounts for a spool type trans insulator ( used on 70s models). Poly insulators are available for this style. I fabbed the entire assy for my 65 but, I moved the engine back as far as possible w/o cutting the firewall.
Mike
IMG_1594.JPG

Can you fabricate? If so, cut the mount section off the cross member and build new mounts for a spool type trans insulator ( used on 70s models). Poly insulators are available for this style. I fabbed the entire assy for my 65 but, I moved the engine back as far as possible w/o cutting the firewall.
Mike
View attachment 978179
Interesting! I have an old 70's trans mount like that but its crusty. I see you eliminated the cross member completely? Nice. How far back did you move your motor and what did you use for motor mounts considering the different motor location?
Thanks for replying and the tips Mike!

I have the Alterkation front suspension and ordered it with big block engine mounts. After getting my new Indy Max 540 from Muscle Motors I realized the block utilized hemi mounts and called RMS. Bill was kind enough to send me new hemi frame brackets (free) so I cut off the old and welded on the new while sliding the engine back as far as I could. That required some creative design on the trans cross member. I think if you used a 66-70 K-member you could duplicate my setup (and gain the better idler arm mounting) along with a rearward move of approximately 1 3/4". Bonus radiator clearance too!
Mike

I have the Alterkation front suspension and ordered it with big block engine mounts. After getting my new Indy Max 540 from Muscle Motors I realized the block utilized hemi mounts and called RMS. Bill was kind enough to send me new hemi frame brackets (free) so I cut off the old and welded on the new while sliding the engine back as far as I could. That required some creative design on the trans cross member. I think if you used a 66-70 K-member you could duplicate my setup (and gain the better idler arm mounting) along with a rearward move of approximately 1 3/4". Bonus radiator clearance too!
Mike
Cool set up Mike.
Thanks for all the info.
Much appreciated!

Auto Transport Service
Back