• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

906 heads, 280 cfm @ .500" lift

One thing many dont care for is the worry about 50 year old iron heads cracking when heavily ported. Myself for my mild street build to run on pump gas I want a closed chamber head so I can build easy quench in the eng which I did with the eng in my 63. The aluminum also helps fight against ping on pump since it disapates heat better. I do my own head work and did port and do all the valve job work on my 906 heads I used on my old 440. For a guy like me I can do iron heads cheap as I only have to buy the parts but for the average racer who dont do their own head work they are gone to pay alot of money to get a good ported set of iron heads to be done right. Thats why many will buy the Eddy's and Stealth heads which work fine on mild builds and many track builds. Myself I prefer to use the aluminum heads for a few reasons one of which since my car is a pump gas eng.

Now if someone builds brand new iron heads today that are a good modern design I think they would sell as technically all things equal iron heads will make a tad more power but of course weigh more. I went with the basic EZ heads on my street/strip build because its not hard to get 320 to 330 flow out of the intakes and I feel they have a little more potential if I want to get more serious with my build down the road. So I believe the Eddy , Stealth and Indy EZ heads are great heads for a nice build and most will use them over iron heads because most will spend to much money to have a set of iron heads heavily worked over and the aluminum are new and not 50 years old and most are closed chamber and make it easy to build quench in the eng. And all of the aluminum heads will way outflow stock 906's and if both are ported the same the aluminum will still outflow 906's. Ron

i'm not impressed with the rpm's i'm currently running. but, i had some decent iron heads before the switch. i think this alum head thing is like tatoo's,...everybody thinks they need one.

I had 906's and went the the edelbrock RPMs. no regrets here, it really woke this car up and reduced quite a bit of weight while doing it.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing many dont care for is the worry about 50 year old iron heads cracking when heavily ported. Myself for my mild street build to run on pump gas I want a closed chamber head so I can build easy quench in the eng which I did with the eng in my 63. The aluminum also helps fight against ping on pump since it disapates heat better. I do my own head work and did port and do all the valve job work on my 906 heads I used on my old 440. For a guy like me I can do iron heads cheap as I only have to buy the parts but for the average racer who dont do their own head work they are gone to pay alot of money to get a good ported set of iron heads to be done right. Thats why many will buy the Eddy's and Stealth heads which work fine on mild builds and many track builds. Myself I prefer to use the aluminum heads for a few reasons one of which since my car is a pump gas eng.

Now if someone builds brand new iron heads today that are a good modern design I think they would sell as technically all things equal iron heads will make a tad more power but of course weigh more. I went with the basic EZ heads on my street/strip build because its not hard to get 320 to 330 flow out of the intakes and I feel they have a little more potential if I want to get more serious with my build down the road. So I believe the Eddy , Stealth and Indy EZ heads are great heads for a nice build and most will use them over iron heads because most will spend to much money to have a set of iron heads heavily worked over and the aluminum are new and not 50 years old and most are closed chamber and make it easy to build quench in the eng. And all of the aluminum heads will way outflow stock 906's and if both are ported the same the aluminum will still outflow 906's. Ron

yes, I lost the pinging and can run 93 octane now instead of half 100 octane with half 93 octane. I do not miss the 906 heads at all.

- - - Updated - - -

rocker geometry was awful, casting quality was crap, ain't worth 1600 bucks.

What rockers did you use? I went with comp roller rockers and their pushrods, very happy.

While were on the subject, do the 4120437 templates work on 906 heads? Im not thinking of drag racing, just doing a nice 69 Runner with matching #s stuff.

As you may already know the 4120437 templates were designed for the Mopar Performance Stage IV cylinder heads. The Stage IV heads are more like the 452 heads and the Stage V iron heads are more like the 906. I'm sure someone has tried the templates on the 906, but we have not. Pop was using the templates on something around his shop and he did have Stage IV heads at that time. See Dec, 1982 Popular Hot Rodding, "Muscular Mopar" article.

I'm building this one now. Will be on the dyno soon.

I actually ordered roller rockers and pushrods and used a smaller carb. I also used a milodon oil pan and high pressure pump. I was very pleased

The 906 intake port. Sometimes you make something pretty and nobody ever calls you back to say how it runs. I think these were supposed to go on a '70 Road Runner. The 906 up against the best OOTB RPM I ever tested. The RPM flows are from 5 or 6 years ago and flowed very near their advertised specs. The later ones I've tested have dropped off some.

Lift.................OOTB RPM IN/EX..............Ported 906 IN/EX

.100......................73/70..............................80/61
.200....................148/126...........................161/126
.300....................209/160...........................219/175
.400....................254/188...........................262/201
.500....................276/206...........................280/215
.600....................287/217...........................297/221
.700....................291/223...........................297/224

View attachment 245017

Those are some "perty 906 ports" IQ52

I actually ordered roller rockers and pushrods and used a smaller carb. I also used a milodon oil pan and high pressure pump. I was very pleased

I'm using Sealed Power flat tops at a zero deck to keep costs down, 440 Source rods, adding 1.6 roller rockers, and went with a Performer RPM intake rather than the Victor. Anything over 500hp is a bonus for this build. Inexpensive was the name of this game.

Yo Budnicks, thanks.

Rocketman and Hemirunner, s'okay. I'm up for it. Soon's as I can arrange it I'll put my iron RPM+ heads up against OOTB or service prepped RPM heads, cause I don't think your iron heads can hold a candle to ours.

Have you got some details on your exact build to share?

Nice work IQ52!

I know there are some good threads on CNC 906 heads with Max wedgie ports!

I know it’s 50+ years for the infamous 906 heads, but I still want to spend 40-60 hours on a ‘fools errand’ lol.

Best wishes to all Iron lovers...
John

Auto Transport Service
Back