• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$975,000 for Black Ghost

They were definitely there, and as I stated. I was around these new, too. Of course, the dealer wants to up-sell as much as possible, and likely changed wheels or wheel covers to dress up the display cars, and add to the price. But off the transport...! If you had an orange car with black wheels, the covers were in the trunk. Orange wheels? The cops were back there.
I've posted numerous times about the wild stuff Bill Clark used to order for his dealership. That's where I would see the dog dish caps, on cars that didn't sell right away. The '69 Hemi Road Runner that sat in the show room for almost two years before selling was the best example. It ended up with 15 inch 1970 Ralleye wheels as soon as it was sold. Obviously it won't be wearing them if it ever appears on the auction circuit.

My Charger R/T convertible was custom built by Dodge for Raquel Welsh who loved to drive around Beverly Hills with the top down showing off her ample breasts to movie producers!

8250453-DSC00666 (1).JPG

I saw a whole bunch of Mopars sell below current market value, because they had crappy dork dish hubcaps on them! They only one that defied the trend was the survivor 71 Hemi Road Runner. 90 percent of the cars that had crappy dork dish hubcaps on them didn't leave the factory with them.
Man you really hate those things.....
This one did V-Code 4 speed 4.10 Dana
I like it!

70 RR V Code 4 Speed Caps.jpg

Man you really hate those things.....
This one did V-Code 4 speed 4.10 Dana
I like it!

View attachment 1468397
My former V code 4 speed Road Runner came with 15x7 rallye wheels. The thing is that now almost every Mopar I see has them on it. No one ever ran them back in the day, and 95 percent of the cars that have them on it didn't come from the factory with them. When I saw the first few cars at shows with them, I said that's different, not my thing, but different, now three quarters of the cars at MCCAN had them on it. It is way over done. I had a whole set of the correct 459 wheels, but I wasn't putting them on any of my cars!

20221219_091704.jpg

Uhhh, pics or it didn't happen...

(Beautiful car!)
Insert gratuitous breast shot here! Thanks and the purple Road Runner is a beautiful car as well, we need to start a go fund me so he can get some wheels for it,! lol just kidding!

My former V code 4 speed Road Runner came with 15x7 rallye wheels. The thing is that now almost every Mopar I see has them on it. No one ever ran them back in the day, and 95 percent of the cars that have them on it didn't come from the factory with them. When I saw the first few cars at shows with them, I said that's different, not my thing, but different, now three quarters of the cars at MCCAN had them on it. It is way over done. I had a whole set of the correct 459 wheels, but I wasn't putting them on any of my cars!
A variation on this theme. After Bill Clark ordered the Demonstrator that is now my car with dog dish caps, and immediately put magnums on it, he ordered a second Dealer Demonstrator GTX at the start of the 1970 model year. This car he ordered with 15 inch rallye wheels, F60-15 white letter polyglas gt tires. When he sold it a year later, the buyer promptly put magnums on it. I always wondered why Bill didn't just pick up a set of aftermarket 15 inch chrome rims in the first place, after what he had done with the 1969 Demonstrator.

This Black Ghost story. From what little I remember, the original owner came back from military, and then became a decorated Police Officer? And yet, this great Cop would go out at nights to do illegal street racing. If caught, wouldn't that have ended his career? Don't sound very logical.

No one is going to buy a Hemi Challenger 4 speed car and not flex its muscles a bit,perhaps at the expense of a few lesser muscle cars at the red lights, but I doubt that he would put his career on the line to go out and street race regularly.

I just saw a photo of the build sheet for the black ghost Challenger and the car is a 4.10 Dana equipped car,so while uncle Tony says that the car is a 14 second car, the car is a low to mid 13 second car, with a pair of slicks and a good tune it might run high 12s. That said Addison and the Silver Bullet ran 10.13 at a test and tune session back then. Not in the same league.

When I get drunk and start throwing my millions around at car auctions,I would rather spend 2 million on the RTS Cuda with the Cragars on it,the a paultry million on Challenger with crappy dork dish hubcaps! Lol

I’m surprised that the 71 sold for $550k, that’s quite a jump from their usual value levels!

I’m surprised that the 71 sold for $550k, that’s quite a jump from their usual value levels!
The car was incredibly preserved, far more than the "Black Ghost." I was impressed when I saw it at Carlisle, a few years back, probably a decade by now.

Auto Transport Service
Back