• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$975,000 for Black Ghost

I really wish we had a 'now that's some funny **** right there' button!

I've posted numerous times about the wild stuff Bill Clark used to order for his dealership. That's where I would see the dog dish caps, on cars that didn't sell right away. The '69 Hemi Road Runner that sat in the show room for almost two years before selling was the best example. It ended up with 15 inch 1970 Ralleye wheels as soon as it was sold. Obviously it won't be wearing them if it ever appears on the auction circuit.
I'd imagine wheels/fancy wheelcovers were more profitable markups for dealers if they added them on themselves,
sort of like radios and a/c, eh?
Makes sense to me...

Ok, for starters, here's the original documentary on the car and the story of "GQ":

A few observations, if I may:
- Yes, that documentary shows his son as a Producer of the doc - but far from the only one.

- In all the stories on this cars' history, nobody mentions that the original owner was not the one
telling any tall tales or bragging on the car. In fact, that would have been against his nature by
all accounts.
Instead, friends and family tell the stories...

- Everyone keeps trying to compare the car to other, well known actual street beasts of Detroit
of the time - but here's what I think:
Detroit's a big damn city obviously and I bet in those days there were dozens of street racing scenes happening
around it - so it's entirely possible GQ never even saw the Silver Bullet or any of the other famous ones,
leave alone heard about them.

My better guess is that he and his best friend would sneak out on the occasional warm Friday night....
and since the racing usually was an informal, what's next to you at the next light sort of thing - he probably
did whip up on the average street car more often than not, especially with those 4.10's.
I'd further surmise he didn't do it often (because of cop job, remember) and he had inside info on when
and where the cops would be trying to crack down on street racing on a given weekend, so he'd pick and
choose his fights, too.
Makes sense, no?

I think the REAL history of the car is wonderful enough without embellishing it. I also think the son succumbed
to the money involved because as much as he was proud of his dad, it's obvious the dude is not a car guy and
got sucked into selling it.
It's the lure of easy money. It has a strong appeal...

Was the car worth registering as a national historic whatever whatchamacallit? No.
Was it worth almost $1Million at auction? Again, hell no it wasn't....
Is it a truly unique survivor car with a great story? Hell yes it is.

I just saw a video of the black ghost Challenger in the garage under a car cover,and when they took the cover off the car,it had the factory wire wheel hubcaps on it.

I don't think 15" steelies could be had with any hubcaps other than your beloved dog dish?

I just saw a video of the black ghost Challenger in the garage under a car cover,and when they took the cover off the car,it had the factory wire wheel hubcaps on it.

perfect match to the red black and green africa logos....... did you notice any curb feelers?

Ok, for starters, here's the original documentary on the car and the story of "GQ":

A few observations, if I may:
- Yes, that documentary shows his son as a Producer of the doc - but far from the only one.

- In all the stories on this cars' history, nobody mentions that the original owner was not the one
telling any tall tales or bragging on the car. In fact, that would have been against his nature by
all accounts.
Instead, friends and family tell the stories...

- Everyone keeps trying to compare the car to other, well known actual street beasts of Detroit
of the time - but here's what I think:
Detroit's a big damn city obviously and I bet in those days there were dozens of street racing scenes happening
around it - so it's entirely possible GQ never even saw the Silver Bullet or any of the other famous ones,
leave alone heard about them.

My better guess is that he and his best friend would sneak out on the occasional warm Friday night....
and since the racing usually was an informal, what's next to you at the next light sort of thing - he probably
did whip up on the average street car more often than not, especially with those 4.10's.
I'd further surmise he didn't do it often (because of cop job, remember) and he had inside info on when
and where the cops would be trying to crack down on street racing on a given weekend, so he'd pick and
choose his fights, too.
Makes sense, no?

I think the REAL history of the car is wonderful enough without embellishing it. I also think the son succumbed
to the money involved because as much as he was proud of his dad, it's obvious the dude is not a car guy and
got sucked into selling it.
It's the lure of easy money. It has a strong appeal...

Was the car worth registering as a national historic whatever whatchamacallit? No.
Was it worth almost $1Million at auction? Again, hell no it wasn't....
Is it a truly unique survivor car with a great story? Hell yes it is.

All probably true, and there are no doubt hundreds of stories like this across the country. It’s the new social media day and age where you can capture a broad audience with a pretty romantic story and they buy it hook, line and sinker. Just like some people on SM rise to the level of influencer, with no relative input to society, but yet they get millions of followers! It just happened to land in the Mopar world for once. SMH every time.

I saw a whole bunch of Mopars sell below current market value, because they had crappy dork dish hubcaps on them! They only one that defied the trend was the survivor 71 Hemi Road Runner. 90 percent of the cars that had crappy dork dish hubcaps on them didn't leave the factory with them.
Some people just like the look, I guess.
1687153057927.png

Auto Transport Service
Back