• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$975,000 for Black Ghost

sam dupont

Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
It would be tough to sell dad's car... Unless it was for $1 million

The Rapid Transit Cuda brought: $2 million... for a car with a black engine bay

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 1.18.43 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 1.19.56 PM.png

Last edited:
It would be tough to sell dad's car...
As I've noted before, I've already had this talk with my #1 Son and #2 Daughter. #1 Daughter is unfortunately gone. While I have a personal attachment to my Bee, as Dad abandoned it and it's been mine since 1978/79, my Son's thoughts other than it always being in his life has no real "gotta keep it memories" and there isn't a hope in hell I'd burden him with "don't you dare sell it". He may keep it, he may not, but I'll be in the ground and it won't matter to me. Now the Wife might keep it, until the Son's day comes that it's truly his. All the others... AUCTION, like everything else around here and I wish them well.... but I'd better start telling some tales to bump the price.. LOL

As I've noted before, I've already had this talk with my #1 Son and #2 Daughter. #1 Daughter is unfortunately gone. While I have a personal attachment to my Bee, as Dad abandoned it and it's been mine since 1978/79, my Son's thoughts other than it always being in his life has no real "gotta keep it memories" and there isn't a hope in hell I'd burden him with "don't you dare sell it". He may keep it, he may not, but I'll be in the ground and it won't matter to me. Now the Wife might keep it, until the Son's day comes that it's truly his. All the others... AUCTION, like everything else around here and I wish them well.... but I'd better start telling some tales to bump the price.. LOL
For many of us, our cars have a story that means something to us. Will it mean anything to anyone else after we are gone? Like the outcome of the Ghost story or not, Mecum did an outstanding job of marketing the car, and got the seller an awesome result.

Last edited:
I saw a whole bunch of Mopars sell below current market value, because they had crappy dork dish hubcaps on them! They only one that defied the trend was the survivor 71 Hemi Road Runner. 90 percent of the cars that had crappy dork dish hubcaps on them didn't leave the factory with them.

Wonder what kind of money that car would have actually brought restored. It’s optioned up pretty bad ***.

Am I confused or are some saying $975k was too low a selling price?
If that's the case, how damn jaded have folks become?
That's still insane money in this world, especially for the condition the car is in.

What hurts about this is that dad wanted the car to stay in the family. At that request I would hold on to what dad wanted me to keep, no matter the price. I couldn't sell it come hell or high water.

I wonder how long they will keep hold of the money. Hopefully they spend it wisely.

What hurts about this is that dad wanted the car to stay in the family. At that request I would hold on to what dad wanted me to keep, no matter the price. I couldn't sell it come hell or high water.
I agree with you in principle, but money makes people funny.

If it comes to putting food on the table then you have to draw the line here. I'm not saying this happened, but it may be a possibility. We all go through highs and lows in life. In the end it's just a hunk of metal, but the memory will always live on with or without the car.

Uncle Tony has a video up right now where he basically claims the whole black ghost story is a scam.
As much as I disagree with the guy often, he's got a point this time in my opinion.
Several, in fact.

Well done job of promoting this beater, now they can buy another one and pocket $600-700k and they didn't go through the trouble of restoring it.

The auto auction world's version of the investment world's "pump and dump".

Perhaps I should start my own version in preparation for the inevitable.

I graduated from Penn State with a degree in English in 1975, learning the art of spinning a story, later put it to use in the corporate world. Speaking as a former professional mouth piece, this deal has taken hype to an amazing level, way out of my league, for sure. But if I dust off my retired skill set, maybe I can sell my last Mopar for at least twice what it's worth without the right story...

Last edited:
I agree with you in principle, but money makes people funny.
I believe the dad told Greg to “not give my damn car away”, and he didn’t. He got $975k, but I feel sorry for the little guy, who obviously enjoyed it more than Greg did.

I graduated from Penn State with a degree in English in 1975, learning the art of spinning a story, later put it to use in the corporate world. Speaking as a former professional mouth piece, this deal has taken hype to an amazing level, way out of my league, for sure. But if I dust off my retired skill set, maybe I can sell my last Mopar for at least twice what it's worth without the right story...
What a coincidence!
It seems "junior" (the seller) has a production company of his own.
What're the odds? :lol:
Tony really hammers that one home, even reading the mission statement of the company....
at that point, even skeptics would be going "ahhhh, I see now!"

Auto Transport Service
Back