• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

98 mile survivor 63 savoy lightweight

Actually, I don't know if those filters are correct. Went to metal in 63' I believe. The filter is in the right location. Maybe that's why it's metal! Perhaps the originals were changed in order to run the engine? I would have.
I have the original filters. They are clear plastic with internal paper elements and the remains of red-inked lettering and flow arrows. These are K&N 5/16" look alikes which I know I can trust to do the job. There are repop filters out there, however they do not provide any filtration data and the red ink seems to disappear.

Stunning survivor that debuted at MCACN 2023

View attachment 1565535

View attachment 1565537

Here's a close up of the placard that was with it. These are the kinds of gems you see at MCACN every year.

IMG_2757.jpg

See torqueflite on the door. Being a pushbutton fan, having one, seem to recall the SS’s came with a manual VB with the first and drive buttons reversed? When I occasionally get to shifting mine manually watching the tach, like the idea of pushing downward rather than up in the direction of N or R on the buttons. Remember my dad’s ’63 GP, floor-shift auto, R position wasn’t so great where it was..
This car was delivered with a normal pushbutton shift pattern and valve body which included an intact kick-down linkage. I was fortunate to have John Cope (Cope Racing Transmissions, Indiana) offer to do a realtime YouTube video on line when he disassembled and refreshed this original transmission. It was in July 2023. There is a valuable lesson in that video for those that find an automatic car that has been dormant for 58 years!

This car was delivered with a normal pushbutton shift pattern and valve body which included an intact kick-down linkage. I was fortunate to have John Cope (Cope Racing Transmissions, Indiana) offer to do a realtime YouTube video on line when he disassembled and refreshed this original transmission. It was in July 2023. There is a valuable lesson in that video for those that find an automatic car that has been dormant for 58 years!
Kudos to the owner for chiming in. Can’t wait to see a full feature on the car in the future hopefully!

Here's a 64' Dodge Super Stock with hood scoop not ordered. The hood frame has been cut for the air cleaners, but no cut outs for the stacks. Note the factory mod on the rear of the right the inner fender. First 50 cars only. Inner fender mod was to fit NASCAR special exhaust manifolds. Sources say none fitted, but there is a guy out there who claims he owns the only one the factory actually made. Might be the red car pictured below.
View attachment 1565706View attachment 1565707
Fury is this a light weight car? I have a black one with same flat spot on inner fender.

car was delivered with a normal pushbutton shift pattern and valve body
Watched the entire video and a good education. Wish he would do one putting it back together or I could watch the vid in reverse, lol. There’s a member on here having a wicked ’64 moving the buttons to the righthand side doing a nice video drag racing. Much as I relish 4-speeds, the button shift reduces room for errors. There is also some history with a couple of iconic mopar drag racers; I think Don Garlits was one having the buttons on the right. One of them didn’t like parting with them when Chrysler ended them in ’65 and had the ’64 setup put in his ’65 racer.

Have to go back and re-watch the video, but Mr. Cope found a broken part, a sleeve, and not recalling what it was offhand. A friend drove mine and broke the parking sprag as the car was still moving a bit when he dropped the parking lever. Grrr. I was lucky I had a spare one then. Futzing I did on mine was putting in a shift kit, new cable, rearrangement to drop the exterior filter, and a shop installed a later edition TC. The kit did about nothing, but obtain a harder shift btw 1st and 2nd. Lol, think that’s what the directions said it would do. It will upshift before reaching 30mph, unless flooring it or yeah, just manually shifting which is fun to do.

Always a kick having it at shows; the button shift gets a lot of attention as some never saw one before, or even heard of them, as granddads are giving a lecture on them. Had fun with a gal who asked to sit in it, and then asked “Where’s the shifter lever thing?” I said transmissions were only an option back when and doesn’t have one, until pointing out the buttons. Wish I had a photo of her expression on her cute face.

Fury is this a light weight car? I have a black one with same flat spot on inner fender.
The car in the photos does not have an aluminum front end, so as far as I know, it's a standard super stock. If you have the slanted inner fender, and of course it came from the factory like that, you have a rare car. If you car came from the factory in a black/red combo, a Plymouth, and is a lightweight, it may be 1 of 7 Super Stock III or 1 of 6 Super Commando Hemi cars. I'm by no means an expert on these cars. There is a very good article on "the black 64' Plymouths" in the Dec. 22 Mopar Action by Wes Eisenschenk. Darrell Davis has published "The 1964 Plymouth Super Stock and Super Commando Guide", and there is Jim Schilds "Authenticity Guide 1962-1964 Dodge & Plymouth Maximum Performance (Wedge). Have fun!!

Last edited:
Watched the entire video and a good education. Wish he would do one putting it back together or I could watch the vid in reverse, lol. There’s a member on here having a wicked ’64 moving the buttons to the righthand side doing a nice video drag racing. Much as I relish 4-speeds, the button shift reduces room for errors. There is also some history with a couple of iconic mopar drag racers; I think Don Garlits was one having the buttons on the right. One of them didn’t like parting with them when Chrysler ended them in ’65 and had the ’64 setup put in his ’65 racer.

Have to go back and re-watch the video, but Mr. Cope found a broken part, a sleeve, and not recalling what it was offhand. A friend drove mine and broke the parking sprag as the car was still moving a bit when he dropped the parking lever. Grrr. I was lucky I had a spare one then. Futzing I did on mine was putting in a shift kit, new cable, rearrangement to drop the exterior filter, and a shop installed a later edition TC. The kit did about nothing, but obtain a harder shift btw 1st and 2nd. Lol, think that’s what the directions said it would do. It will upshift before reaching 30mph, unless flooring it or yeah, just manually shifting which is fun to do.

Always a kick having it at shows; the button shift gets a lot of attention as some never saw one before, or even heard of them, as granddads are giving a lecture on them. Had fun with a gal who asked to sit in it, and then asked “Where’s the shifter lever thing?” I said transmissions were only an option back when and doesn’t have one, until pointing out the buttons. Wish I had a photo of her expression on her cute face.
I get the same reaction that you do at shows with my button shifter Ron. Older guys (well, older than me) always seem to call it the "typewriter shifter". I did see a car that had the shifter moved to where the heater controls normally go. Interesting idea, but I think it would need to have custom cables made ($$?). Government mandates required that all manufactures shifters must be on the column or the floor for 1965. :(

Last edited:
I get the same reaction that you do at shows with my button shifter Ron. Older guys (well, older than me) always seem to call it the "typewriter shifter". I did see a car that had the shifter moved to where the heater controls normally go. Interesting idea, but I think it would need to have custom cables made ($$?). Government mandates required that all manufactures shifters must be on the column or the floor for 1965. :(
Yeah - I've heard the handles - typewriter drive, punch box, and go-buttons. There are a couple of members on here that are walking encyclopedias on these tranny's not recalling their names offhand, maybe they will catch these posts and reply. One I think is Dave having a '64 with a photo showing the front wheels up off the line and did a cool video. While back he replied to me about how he moved the box to the right. I can do a search and post them. If I recall, part of the reason for the demise in '65 also had to do with the rental car agencies not wanting them anymore being confusing to people - something like that. Rumor was Ralph Nader was involved; but thought he came in a few years later to kill off the Corvair.

Yeah - I've heard the handles - typewriter drive, punch box, and go-buttons. There are a couple of members on here that are walking encyclopedias on these tranny's not recalling their names offhand, maybe they will catch these posts and reply. One I think is Dave having a '64 with a photo showing the front wheels up off the line and did a cool video. While back he replied to me about how he moved the box to the right. I can do a search and post them. If I recall, part of the reason for the demise in '65 also had to do with the rental car agencies not wanting them anymore being confusing to people - something like that. Rumor was Ralph Nader was involved; but thought he came in a few years later to kill off the Corvair.
Couple of the members I was thinking of include - dvw, threewood, and khryslerkid, couple others; but can't recall right off...

The car in the photos does not have an aluminum front end, so as far as I know, it's a standard super stock. If you have the slanted inner fender, and of course it came from the factory like that, you have a rare car. If you car came from the factory in a black/red combo, a Plymouth, and is a lightweight, it may be 1 of 7 Super Stock III or 1 of 6 Super Commando Hemi cars. I'm by no means an expert on these cars. There is a very good article on the black 64' Plymouths in the Dec. 22 Mopar Action by Wes Eisenschenk. Darrell Davis has published "The 1964 Plymouth Super Stock and Super Commando Guide", and there is Jim Schilds "Authenticity Guide 1962-1964 Dodge & Plymouth Maximum Performance (Wedge). Have fun!!
are you saying that the photos of that copper tone 63 savoy in the photos dont have a alloy front end ? i know the owner and seen it in person and i have had a lt wt 63 dodge in the past the car does have a alloy front end on it and the best part never taking off its the real deal .

Charles R. Doyle is what the display says. Did you know him?
View attachment 1567163
Yep, but not real close. Met him and his wife in '87. Several of us went to the Mopar nats together. Spent some time talking with him about fixing the engine and getting the car running. He didn't want to fix it. I think his wife didn't want him racing. The Mopar community was rather tight back then in indy, and most people knew of the car but Charlie stashed it back and didn't want people looking at it. Charlie told me the camshaft broke and ruined the block.

There were rumors of small dents in the fenders from the front tires throwing some gravel, don't know if that's true. Dixie, his wife, told me she spilled a milk shake on the front seat and never got the stain out of the fabric. Is there a stain on the fabric today?

Charlie worked at the Chrysler electrical plant in indy. Dixie worked at Eli Lilly in indy for awhile. I worked there to and would see her occasionally. I think they were life long east side indy residents.

are you saying that the photos of that copper tone 63 savoy in the photos dont have a alloy front end ? i know the owner and seen it in person and i have had a lt wt 63 dodge in the past the car does have a alloy front end on it and the best part never taking off its the real deal .
No, NOT the 63' Fury. Fast Savoy asked me if the photos I posted of the white 64' (post#15) had an alum. front end. That car has a steel front. :D

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back