• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

98 mile survivor 63 savoy lightweight

Noticing the park lever missing brought a memory. I had a friend who had a couple of 64 Plymouths that were automatics. There were a few torqueflite gurus around at the time and they would take the park mechanism out. Said you didn't need it,....lol. anyhow my friend carried a wooden block around to "park" his car so it wouldn't roll away. Have no idea why he never used the emergency brake. Crazy times back then.

Noticing the park lever missing brought a memory. I had a friend who had a couple of 64 Plymouths that were automatics. There were a few torqueflite gurus around at the time and they would take the park mechanism out. Said you didn't need it,....lol. anyhow my friend carried a wooden block around to "park" his car so it wouldn't roll away. Have no idea why he never used the emergency brake. Crazy times back then.
I know that the factory racecars had the parking assemblies left out during production, for safety I assume.
I've never heard of guys taking them out on their street cars. Interesting. My mom never trusted the park lever on her Barracuda. She always carried a brick on the floor behind her seat. Whenever we left a shopping plaza, she would always forget that she put it there, run over it, and then tell one of us kids to "pick up that d** brick!.

Older PB’s didn’t have Park, my uncles had a couple of those – ’57 DeSoto and ’58 Dodge and would leave it in a gear applying the parking brake – being ‘park’. Not so great, MO. Had more than one vehicle (couple of manuals) where best have it set fully and good brakes. Mentioned in an earlier post, a friend of mine drove my ’63 and dropped the parking lever before the car had stopped rolling breaking the sprag.

When I was a kid, a neighbor across the street had a ’63 Dodge; houses across the street were higher having sloped driveways. One morning I came out finding his car in the middle of our front yard. Lucky for him it missed the trees in the yard. We had no curbs back then, just a grass ravine along the street, which was maybe a good thing as his driveway had a good slope to it and wasn’t in neutral or otherwise could have coasted further. No damage, but his parking sprag got a lot of tough use parking on a hill all the time.

REMEMBER!! The heat controls are on the RIGHT!!
15362390269361482362958.jpeg

This is back in 1977.Original Max wedge. The STEEL CITY WEDGE .Yes I remember he had a brick next to the seat and would set it out and roll up to it in the staging lanes. When he had to move forward he would back up and pick up the brick never leaving his seat.
Man I loved watching him race.

keystone_5.jpg

I found a picture of Charlie but I don't have a way to put it on this site.

One I think is Dave having a '64 with a photo showing the front wheels up off the line and did a cool video. While back he replied to me about how he moved the box to the right.

Doug, member DVW

270114-d9c3bc825b494910885f3840347eff99.jpg

270108-023f5940f7069983d14b20e73e2cadea.jpg

Dick Landy's '65 dodge. (Jeff Peterson already posted)
1965-Dodge-Landy-cabin.jpg

Dick Landy's '66 Dart.
DandyDickLandytestbookCG_grande.jpg

I don't remember if it was Landy or someone else, but I remember reading about how he liked the pushbuttons so much, he had a pb shifter mounted in front of him in his funny car. It might have been Landy in his '66 Dart.

1701655883825.png

I wonder if the original owner was a Charlie Doyle?
Yes, you are correct. Do you have any information or photos that you can share with me? I have Mr. Doyle's obituary as the first page of my presentation book for the car. He had the foresight to keep all of the paperwork for the car.

Yep, but not real close. Met him and his wife in '87. Several of us went to the Mopar nats together. Spent some time talking with him about fixing the engine and getting the car running. He didn't want to fix it. I think his wife didn't want him racing. The Mopar community was rather tight back then in indy, and most people knew of the car but Charlie stashed it back and didn't want people looking at it. Charlie told me the camshaft broke and ruined the block.

There were rumors of small dents in the fenders from the front tires throwing some gravel, don't know if that's true. Dixie, his wife, told me she spilled a milk shake on the front seat and never got the stain out of the fabric. Is there a stain on the fabric today?

Charlie worked at the Chrysler electrical plant in indy. Dixie worked at Eli Lilly in indy for awhile. I worked there to and would see her occasionally. I think they were life long east side indy residents.
Yes, I scrubbed that seat with every cleaning solution on my shelf, then followed up with a steamer.
It reduced the stain to barely noticeable now! Thanks for the information above. I had not read this reply until after I replied to your question.

I don't remember if it was Landy or someone else, but I remember reading about how he liked the pushbuttons so much, he had a pb shifter mounted in front of him in his funny car. It might have been Landy in his '66 Dart.

View attachment 1568069
Post #50 bottom "drawing" right in front of the steering wheel

Yes, I scrubbed that seat with every cleaning solution on my shelf, then followed up with a steamer.
It reduced the stain to barely noticeable now! Thanks for the information above. I had not read this reply until after I replied to your question.
i've been looking for more photos but haven't come up with anything but the one from the '87 nats. i found this stumbling thru an old photo album i had. i'm going to look for a negative for the photo. don't know if anybody prints negatives anymore. you can have the picture. pm me an address.

Post #50 bottom "drawing" right in front of the steering wheel
Thanks, Jeff. Some nights I'm kind of quickly sleep reading through the forums. LOL

On the flip side, maybe my memory isn't totally shot.

Last edited:

View attachment 1568069
Many guys went with these shifters. I know that someone made units (Art Carr?). Gene Snow ran one in both his 65' and 66' funny cars. The 66' had the shifter mounted up by the drivers window, so Snows left arm was hanging out in the breeze! The Ramchargers also used them in their A bodies, mounted between the drivers legs.

UserFiles-image-2016-Daily%20Features-Friday-snow67.jpg
ceb6660c2faafd8d97e9a8c08200d172.jpg
DSC04082.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back