• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-833 reassembly question

Joel Talka

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
I'm overhauling my 1966 A-833 and am at the point of reassembly..

I'm trying to get the main shaft back into the tail housing... What I am stuck on is the retainer/snap ring. Front of my tail housing has a slot in it which looks like it accepts a snap ring. The new 307 bearing also has a slot for a snap ring while the old bearing did not...

It would appear that the bearing can go into the housing far enough so that the snap ring could sit in front of the bearing in the slot in the housing...and the slot in the bearing proper would not be used... Is this correct?? If so is there a trick to getting that snap ring in place?

I appreciate any guidance from the group!

Thanks,

Joel

You're correct. The slot in the bearing would be used if the bearing was being installed on the input shaft - the snap ring would be sandwiched between the retainer and the case - preventing it from moving in or out.

This is the Tail Shaft you are talking about not the 4th gear input. A snap ring plier to spread the ring and then just pop the shaft in and the ring should seat and hold everything together. O Reillys has the tool Cheap.

I believe that ring compresses in that application. The goove is in the tailstock. Pin-nose pliers work just fine.

I believe that ring compresses in that application. The goove is in the tailstock. Pin-nose pliers work just fine.
I believe you are right, thanks. What raises the question is that the replacement bearings has a groove. I probably should have taken some pictures when I was taking it apart...

I believe you are right, thanks. What raises the question is that the replacement bearings has a groove. I probably should have taken some pictures when I was taking it apart...
replacement bearings has a groove
This makes the bearing useable in two positions (front and rear) but is unnecessary in the rear position (reduces inventory). Also, pay close attention that the thickness of the front and rear bearings is the same as what was removed. There were some replacements floating around that were substantially thinner than the originals. just a FYI. jess in ky

Auto Transport Service
Back