• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A A Little Help? New 440 Runs Rough, Won't Idle

MoparViking70

Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a new 522 stroker engine that I’m finally turning over but it runs very rough and won’t idle. I’ve checked everything I can think of. I can barely keep it going by staying on the throttle a bit and then it stalls and I get a big puff out of the carburetor.
It has brand new gas, fuel bowls are in the middle of the sight glass, fuel pressure flutters between 6-9, I’ve adjusted the curb idle screws, adjusted ignition timing, distributor is installed correctly, no broken rockers or springs, firing order is correct, and spark plugs look ok (though they now smell like gas and are black after trying to run it). I’m wondering if it’s dumping fuel for some reason.
I can’t seem to attach this 10 sec video. The file is too large.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

D46AD67F-FF77-4B69-9001-CBB1C68DF793.jpeg

Vacuum and or timing. Try turning the distributor while trying to keep running? Ignore the timing light for right now just turn it a little and listen for change?

Vacuum and or timing. Try turning the distributor while trying to keep running? Ignore the timing light for right now just turn it a little and listen for change?
I have the vacuum ports capped on the carburetor, including the large one on the back. I did loosen the distributor and try turning it a little in either direction but did not get a significant change. Eng came with distributor already installed where they ran it and the carb is the one that was test on the engine too.

I have the vacuum ports capped on the carburetor, including the large one on the back. I did loosen the distributor and try turning it a little in either direction but did not get a significant change. Eng came with distributor already installed where they ran it and the carb is the one that was test on the engine too.
Who ran it? The machine shop on a Dyno? Was everything fine then and you were present to confirm?

If so......the only thing that changed was installing it into the car, right?

I question a timing and a fuel delivery issue......

How do the plugs look?

Last edited:
Engine was dyno tested at the machine shop before delivery. It’s all the way out in South Carolina so I was not present. I’m in CA.
Spark plugs are currently dark and smell like fuel.

Looks like a timing issue to me. Pull the dizzy spin the motor to tdc reinstall and see what happens. Also Clean plugs and double check wires

Sounds as if you are way rich. Try turning the fuel flow off for a minute. Either turn off the elec pump, or clamp the fuel line off. Then start it, and see if it smooths out before it dies. If so, you are getting too much fuel. My 496 was doing the same thing. Turns out the carb was dumping in too much fuel. Try plugging the power valve in the carb.

If fuel pressure is getting as high as 9 psi that sounds high for a carburetor. Is this the same carb it was dyno'd with? Have you looked to see where the primary throttle plate rests at idle on the transition slot in the bores? Do you get any response when adjusting the idle mixture screws?

That sounds like timing.

Double check you firing order also. I had #5 and #7 crossed up on my first startup. Must have done it when tidying up the routing of them. It started and ran but it was popping in the exhaust. Then a couple of wires would back off the plugs while doing the cam break-in. That will make it run rough and pop too.

just a thought how much fuel pressure are you running? If it's to high it will dump to much fuel and your plugs will run rich making the engine ruff and stall.

Sounds as if you are way rich. Try turning the fuel flow off for a minute. Either turn off the elec pump, or clamp the fuel line off. Then start it, and see if it smooths out before it dies. If so, you are getting too much fuel. My 496 was doing the same thing. Turns out the carb was dumping in too much fuel. Try plugging the power valve in the carb.
I’m thinking the same thing man, I just wasn’t sure what to do about it. I will try clamping off the fuel supply (mech pump).

just a thought how much fuel pressure are you running? If it's to high it will dump to much fuel and your plugs will run rich making the engine ruff and stall.
The pressure gauge is fluctuating between 6-9 psi. I haven’t got it running enough for it to smooth out, but I might want to do a regulator of some sort.

That sounds like timing.

Double check you firing order also. I had #5 and #7 crossed up on my first startup. Must have done it when tidying up the routing of them. It started and ran but it was popping in the exhaust. Then a couple of wires would back off the plugs while doing the cam break-in. That will make it run rough and pop too.
Thanks for the reply. I have triple checked the plugs, firing order, and installation of the wires.

The pressure gauge is fluctuating between 6-9 psi. I haven’t got it running enough for it to smooth out, but I might want to do a regulator of some sort.

you'll only need consistent flow at 5-6 psi

beside the high 9 psi causing to much fuel to be dumped, check the float level and adjust to the manufacturer’s specifications. If the floats are too high, the carburetor will run rich to.

Timing is my first thought with the "puff" out of the carb. Fuel pressure seems high.
Good advice in a number of replies here.
Re: CME who I assume built the engine, I am looking hard at using them, so PM sent.

Auto Transport Service
Back