• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A bird in the hurricane

I saw a picture on another site that the owner had 4 cars in his garage, 2 Daytonas, the Superbird and a roadrunner.
The 2 damaged cars were on lifts, the 2 parked below them had been moved and hopefully are safe.
The storm surge was high enough that it washed those 2 cars up on the lifts out of the garage like you see in the pictures.
8E2C66AE-9EAF-417F-B0B3-4D2CE7A84813.jpeg

This picture and story were posted earlier on another site. I commented (along with others) "I call BS!" The arch on the Superbird springs don't look right. When I inverted the picture, this is how it looks... (as if the car is jacked-up and has no weight on its wheels/axle). What do you think?

View attachment 1350110
The weight of the car is no longer on the springs; just the weight of rear end and wheels. I would be more inclined to think it was photo shopped if there was NOT any arch in the springs. A poster on another thread about this said they were up on car hoists in the garage, but the water got up so high it floated them off, and blew the out the garage doors.

The weight of the car is no longer on the springs; just the weight of rear end and wheels. I would be more inclined to think it was photo shopped if there was NOT any arch in the springs. A poster on another thread about this said they were up on car hoists in the garage, but the water got up so high it floated them off, and blew the out the garage doors.

Open the quoted text area in post # 45. The picture is hidden until you open it.

This picture and story were posted earlier on another site. I commented (along with others) "I call BS!" The arch on the Superbird springs don't look right. When I inverted the picture, this is how it looks... (as if the car is jacked-up and has no weight on its wheels/axle). What do you think?

View attachment 1350110
The weight of the car is not on the wheels when it's upside down. The wing and the braces crumpled the quarters good.

Looks like the guy in the background has anti-gravity boots on. Or he could be Lionel Ritchie dancing on the ceiling.

1664511383178.png

Looks like the Daytona, the superior of the two designs, stayed right side up!:poke:
While we all have to agree, don't show this post to Richard P.
:thumbsup:

If those were mine and I had 6 days warning, they would have been on a north bound car hauler and setting safe and sound somewhere out of harm's way.

If those were mine and I had 6 days warning, they would have been on a north bound car hauler and setting safe and sound somewhere out of harm's way.
That's the thing with me - and keep in mind, I acknowledge this is all armchair quarterbacking after the fact -
but if I have the wherewithal to own such nice things AND I choose to live in a nice place prone to the
occasional hurricane, I'd have some sort of contingency plan.....wouldn't I?
"Hello Tim Wellborn - they're on the way to you now, thanks!"

..if I have the wherewithal to own such nice things AND I choose to live in a nice place prone to the
occasional hurricane, I'd have some sort of contingency plan.....wouldn't I?
I've run into guys that this homeowner is probably like- Own these cars for showin' off their $$$. Try talking to them about the details and they're clueless. Pay someone to fix it up or trash it and buy another. Just fed his ego more with these pics that made national news.

I've run into guys that this homeowner is probably like- Own these cars for showin' off their $$$. Try talking to them about the details and they're clueless. Pay someone to fix it up or trash it and buy another. Just fed his ego more with these pics that made national news.
If that's the case, that's just tragic sad....

Really! They had warnings. It's their own fault.
When there is a HINT of a storm coming is when you have to take action or you won't be able to hire a hauler to load up and leave when the storm get closer so it's not always so easy to just pick up and move out. The guy I mentioned could have just moved his cars to higher ground because he lived in a very low area. Heck, he could have brought them to my place 15 miles away. IIRC he had 3 cars that should have been moved.

I saw a picture on another site that the owner had 4 cars in his garage, 2 Daytonas, the Superbird and a roadrunner.
The 2 damaged cars were on lifts, the 2 parked below them had been moved and hopefully are safe.
The storm surge was high enough that it washed those 2 cars up on the lifts out of the garage like you see in the pictures.
Since the storm track shifted in a relatively short timeframe, priorities prevailed. Ensuring that lives will not be lost is the first priority, and then prioritizing among property and valuables based on the time remaining. I’m sure the owner and house residents were focused on that. Many of us have been there. I was during this hurricane, and previous as well.

I can see how coming down off a hoist would crumple a quarter. Curious if the 140-150 mph wind or the surge water, or a combo of both, was what brought them down - not that the end result matters. Too bad they weren’t secured to the hoists. Maybe they were, but the sheer force of the weather may have been able to override that. If the cars had stayed on the hoists, the damage would have been more limited to water damage and not as much physical. (We wouldn’t even be seeing these pictures.) Even if strapped down, there was likely debris flying through the garage. So there would have been some surface damage, but less so. And of course, seawater (salt) damage is worse than freshwater. Will be a long road ahead to bring these back, no pun intended. I feel for the owner and am hoping for a good outcome these classic Mopars!

Hope its not a real photo.
To me ot looks like 1/18 scale cars photoshopped in .

But then again who knows.

This guy owns about 20 Mopars and knows them very well. He got the 2 that meant the most to him out and back to Ohio. These he put up on the lifts and secured the house before he left.

Auto Transport Service
Back