• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Bogus Daytona

I love the car. I don't 165k love it and I despise wilful misrepresentations but I think it's neat. Looks like it has quite a story to tell. Has a real Daytona vin on a part. Looks like it was done a long time ago and left to sit in the elements. Ex race car maybe? Or a wrecked Daytona grafted onto a charger?
I had it’s value at $50-$60k...

Is there any possibility that this might have been a development car since the sides represent different years? Weren't design options done on different sides for approval on some cars? Or, am I reaching?

When I saw the stamped VIN on the radiator support I thought that is in the area of where a legitimate Daytona Charger would be. The first group of 500 cars built said XX on the dash VIN,but XS other fender tag. The 500 I had said XX on both the VIN and the fender tag. It was built December 4th 1968. The Daytona appears to be ligit!

Is there any possibility that this might have been a development car since the sides represent different years? Weren't design options done on different sides for approval on some cars? Or, am I reaching?
Going by the radiator support vin it was the 65th car built so that would have been well outside of early or mockup “mule” cars.
I would say no based on that.
Good question though!

When I saw the stamped VIN on the radiator support I thought that is in the area of where a legitimate Daytona Charger would be. The first group of 500 cars built said XX on the dash VIN,but XS other fender tag. The 500 I had said XX on both the VIN and the fender tag. It was built December 4th 1968. The Daytona appears to be ligit!
That begs the question:
If it is legit, why was the seller unwilling to allow numbers verification?

I believe that AC was available on a 440 automatic transmission equipped Daytona Charger.

I believe that AC was available on a 440 automatic transmission equipped Daytona Charger.
‘69 Charger dash with factory AC(vents in dash)
‘70 Superbird w/dealer installed AC(vent unit mounted under dash)

9ABEB08E-31AA-48DF-8FE3-3D60F938EAE4.jpeg

9B5BE257-89E4-46D0-B7E4-0E4B23F40AB1.jpeg

If I remember correctly the Dana 60 rear axle was standard on all Superbirds that is why AC wasn't available. The Charger Daytona automatic transmission equipped cars had 8 3/4 axles so AC was available.

My former 69 Charger 500 is on e bay for sale right now. It was a 440 Magnum automatic car with the super performance axle package with a 4.10 ratio sure grip Dana 60 rear axle and 4 piston power disc brakes. A C was not available because of the axle package on my car.

White stripes under hood, on cowl, other remnants, start checking old school Daytona hot rod and custom pics.

If I remember correctly the Dana 60 rear axle was standard on all Superbirds that is why AC wasn't available. The Charger Daytona automatic transmission equipped cars had 8 3/4 axles so AC was available.
Auto Birds came with a 489 case 8 3/4.

Dana's won't fit because of the A/C Compressor.

A Red X? Moparitis has NO sense of humor.

Last edited:
The window glass does not appear to be tinted. Wouldn't a factory a/c car come with tinted windows?

As seen today at a car show in Central New York a “bogus?” Daytona that was presented for sale as “a real Daytona” for $165k.
While it had all the Daytona specific parts on it, the VIN was XS29(see pic of radiator support vin for the rest)and it was an original AC car with the complete unit in place and AC specific firewall. No fender tag.
I wondered where all the Daytona parts came from when the conversion took place.
But let’s have some fun with this!
What can you point out and how much do you think it’s worth “as-is”.

View attachment 1341258

View attachment 1341259

View attachment 1341260

View attachment 1341261
look in the truck or send me pics of the trunk if its a real Daytona there will be braces from the wing to the frame
what was the motor ? 440? or hemi?

according to this its a known real Daytona

Let me clarify, the owner stated the VIN was “XS29 it’s a real Daytona” I never saw the dash VIN which was covered up.
Is there a photo of the dash vin tag and a photo of the dash face?
If so, can you post them?

Last edited:
all I could find is some older pictures of it, it is a well known Daytona
it was one in a junk yard
42424674_10210183939194228_7940188765480288256_n.jpg
164878530_4099558356734994_7489778919520664806_n.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back