• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Bogus Daytona

6PK2GOBEE

Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
As seen today at a car show in Central New York a “bogus?” Daytona that was for sale for $165k.
It had all the Daytona specific parts on it that are visible in the photos, the VIN as stated by the owner was XS29(see pic of radiator support vin for the rest)and it was an original AC car with the complete unit in place under the hood and AC specific firewall. No fender tag.
What can you point out and how much do you think it’s worth “as-is”.

7702EED2-F957-4DEF-8562-C46AC7E2F08C.jpeg

D2F228ED-5F9D-42EF-849F-792DFFF2B966.jpeg

123C939F-239A-493E-B838-24253BFFC011.jpeg

719BBE2A-A07D-471C-B60A-CC1A31381441.jpeg

Last edited:
the sad thing is someone might buy it and not know.

That charger is just worth what a regular charger in the same condition. I would tell that person that car is bogus, because the fender tag is gone, and the core support, and other hidden vin numbers will prove that it's not a daytona plus the odd marker lights. He can stick that 165k price tag where the sun doesn't shine. If some idiot buys that car, well, it's on him. BTW, I would like to see how they bolted the wing to the upper q panels.

What about the back window? Was it a 500, or had the plug and glass been changed in the past?

Wheel well chrome on driver's side, but not on the passenger side.

What about the back window? Was it a 500, or had the plug and glass been changed in the past?
That was my first thought but the stated XS vin rather than XX gave it away. ‘69 Daytona’s and Charger 500’s all had XX.
By memory I think there were a couple that slipped through with XS but they are accounted for.
He wouldn’t open the trunk, kept the dash vin covered, and had the location of the fender tag covered (until I uncovered it) and...no tag!

Last edited:
Obviously he’s selling. But the one thing I don’t like about owning my Mopars is that’s all a lot of other Mopar guys talk about when looking at the cars. It’s as if they are self appointed judges, and they are detracting points from a car that isn’t for sale.

Good Candidate for a resto-mod for the BJ crowd. Then he could get real Big $$$$$$$$.

I like the wheels. Not the abomination sitting on them.
I wanted to compare the trunk lip vin stamp and dash vin with the radiator support stamp but it was a no-go.
Also, couldn’t get to the engine & trans vin stamp.
When I saw that it was an original AC car I lost interest in taking any more photos.
He said it was all numbers matching but then kept numbers hidden.
Were there Daytona’s built with AC even though it wasn’t an option?
In this hobby-never say never!

I love the car. I don't 165k love it and I despise wilful misrepresentations but I think it's neat. Looks like it has quite a story to tell. Has a real Daytona vin on a part. Looks like it was done a long time ago and left to sit in the elements. Ex race car maybe? Or a wrecked Daytona grafted onto a charger?

Auto Transport Service
Back