• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/C and full undercoating

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
I have owned two different factory air conditioned cars, a 69 Barracuda and my 66 Charger. Both came with full undercoating. Lately I have noticed a few ads for cars with factory air and they also had full undercoating. Were these two options tied together or is it just a coincidence?

I've owned five 1960s Mopars with factory A/C, and they all had undercoating. The one thing consistent with all of them was they were heavily optioned cars. As expensive as the A/C option was back in the day, the buyers tended to be well heeled. The factory undercoating was marketed as a sound deadening package in my old sales brochures. My '62 Imperial that came from Arizona had it, sure wasn't selected for rust protection in that territory.

Exactly, my Barracuda came from California and I am pretty sure my Charger came from Arizona. Obviously not ordered for rust protection. Both were heavily optioned cars. I ordered the IBM card for the Charger and they couldn't tell me which dealer it was sold through, which I thought was strange. Someone mentioned that the code may mean it was actually a Chrysler executive car .

Ive owned a few factory air cars. and only 3 of them had undercoating

I have owned two different factory air conditioned cars, a 69 Barracuda and my 66 Charger. Both came with full undercoating. Lately I have noticed a few ads for cars with factory air and they also had full undercoating. Were these two options tied together or is it just a coincidence?
I currently am working on. ‘69 Bee with factory a/c. Yes it has factory undercoat. I believe from what I was told it was a Florida car. Again coincidence ?

My ‘68 Bee is undercoated and is factory air. Built in the LA plant, sold by Hinckley Dodge in Ogden Utah.

My ‘68 Bee is undercoated and is factory air. Built in the LA plant, sold by Hinckley Dodge in Ogden Utah.
Does your car have N97, the noise reduction package option on the buildsheet?

FWIW - My 67 AC GTX has what I suspect to be factory undercoating. Never thought about that connection before.

This isn't the greatest picture, but you can see that the full floors including the gas tank were completely covered. When I installed a new tank, I undercoated it as well.

undercoating.jpg

My 68 Coronet had AC and undercoating. I have the build sheet and I seem to recall back when I was researching it all the undercoating was part of a “protection” package that gave you undercoating, bumper guards and something else I can’t recall.

My 68 Coronet had AC and undercoating. I have the build sheet and I seem to recall back when I was researching it all the undercoating was part of a “protection” package that gave you undercoating, bumper guards and something else I can’t recall.
Interesting to see the bumper guards as part of a "protection" package in '68. My current A/C '69 GTX, and a near twin I owned 30 years ago, both came with bumper guards. Both cars had/have the original window sticker, and the bumper guards are a completely separate option, not part of a package. My current car also has the AO4 group, which included 3 speed wipers, am-fm radio, and driver's side remote mirror. The earlier car had the same items, but minus the 3 speed wipers, no package.

The fact that my current car was the personal vehicle of the dealer probably explains the selection of the AO4 package; owner of the first car probably wasn't made aware it existed. Both cars had factory undercoating, with hood insulation pad, stand alone option on the window sticker. I am assuming if the "protection" package was available on a '69 GTX, the dealer would have selected it for his car. Curious how this stuff could be bundled, or not, back in the day.

Auto Transport Service
Back