• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/C, Final Fitting Under the Hood Today

Jerry Hall

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
I have been working on adding A/C to my 67 Satellite, 5.7 5speed conversion car for some time. Other projects have been in the way and still are for that matter. I added a March Pulley system to relocate the alternator and A/C compressor for a cleaner installation. I'm using Classic Auto Air system with some modifications due to the 5.7 Hemi and relocating the compressor so I didn't have to notch the frame for clearance. I had to change radiators from the one I used on the initial conversion to the 5.7, due to clearance problems with the pulley system. I now have a Griffin with dual slim line cooling fans.
20210715_170230.jpg

20210715_170859.jpg

20210715_170215.jpg

20210715_165633.jpg

20210715_165005.jpg

20210715_164807.jpg

20210715_164752.jpg

Like that set up. Found out that my belt is hitting the compressor bracket to day on my classic A/C set up. Look's like I got to grind on that bracket. Found belt dust on the water pump. NOT GOOD.

Looks good. I bought the universal condenser and hose kit. Then I bought the Chinese knock off hose crimper so I could put things where I wanted.

Looks good. I bought the universal condenser and hose kit. Then I bought the Chinese knock off hose crimper so I could put things where I wanted.
Some of the hoses in the kit I specified from Classic Auto Air were left uncrimped for placement purposes. I also had to visit a A/C supply house to get a different angle on one of the fittings. My brother has the Snap-on hose crimper, so it is currently borrowed.

Looking good Jerry! I installed A/C in my 68 RR project as well. I think it will make driving these cars much more enjoyable, remembering how it was in hot weather years ago. ruffcut

Say ruffcut having to shave the compressor bracket some on my runner. The belt was getting eat up by the bracket. Thing's are really close their. It is the belt for the fan blade and alternator. Took the grinder to it today and painted it. Will install it all back tomorrow. Just some thing to keep an eye on. Other than that happy with the install. But some times we have to tweak a few thing's.

Check out Jerry getting all retro-resto! Good looking work sir, well done. :thumbsup:

Check out Jerry getting all retro-resto! Good looking work sir, well done. :thumbsup:
I have a 66, with a 6.1 and this 67 with the 5.7. Both are great cars, and I try to make upgrades look clean and easy to work on. The next upgrade on the 6.1 car is going to be changing the 727 to a 518 for a overdrive.

I have a 66, with a 6.1 and this 67 with the 5.7. Both are great cars, and I try to make upgrades look clean and easy to work on. The next upgrade on the 6.1 car is going to be changing the 727 to a 518 for a overdrive.
How about one of those fancy late model 8 speeds?

How about one of those fancy late model 8 speeds?
Don't want to cut the tunnel or loose my stock console shifter. The way I'm figuring it with the 518 overdrive and 3.55 gears, I will be turning 1650-1700 rpms at 70 after 4 gear lockup, just like the TKO 5-speed in the 5.7 Satellite.

Don't want to cut the tunnel or loose my stock console shifter. The way I'm figuring it with the 518 overdrive and 3.55 gears, I will be turning 1650-1700 rpms at 70 after 4 gear lockup, just like the TKO 5-speed in the 5.7 Satellite.
Ah, I'm not aware of the physical dimensions on the 8-speed. It's sort of interesting to me that these
old cars, originally designed to hold big blocks, sometimes have such a hard time accepting modern small
block stuffs' size.

Ah, I'm not aware of the physical dimensions on the 8-speed. It's sort of interesting to me that these
old cars, originally designed to hold big blocks, sometimes have such a hard time accepting modern small
block stuffs' size.
Stuff 8 gears in a transmission, it's got to get bigger somewhere. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back