• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A caution for people with high powered weed eaters:

Took out one of the storm doors glass a few years ago mowing the back yard. Didn't hear anything that the blades might have picked up and shot to it so it was a surprise to see the glass all shattered. I'm pretty careful now where the discharge is pointing. Also do the same when mowing near the AC compressor and sometimes place a small sheet of plywood in front of it as a shield....and my shop doors are always closed when I mow!

Yep....all done and it does not leak.
Another cool thing:
I had the chance to replace a few trim clips since the glass was out and now the trim fits much better than it did before.
Score!

I took out the bottom glass in my shop's storm door recently with a weed eater. The door is old but still good and was shocked to see how much a new door was going to be but a glass shop quoted me 100 bucks for a new glass! IIRC, the whole door didn't cost but 50 bucks but that was over 30 years ago! Fixed it with a piece of sign plastic and a sheet of aluminum for added backup strength. The sheet metal shear worked just fine on the plastic too plus made a cover from the other half of the plastic sheet for the my redneck pool! :D

I bought both the butyl tape and sealant at a body shop/paint supply store.

Got to thinking when I nailed the patio storm door with the mower....nearly 20 years ago. That one was a surprise and now this with the shop's storm door with a weed eater. Lots of rain here lately and was weed eating the weeds that like to come up through the seam between the driveway and the shop's slab at the front of the overhead door. That door was closed but the pass through door was open and the storm door was held open with a wedge. Hate closing up the shop in the summer time even for a little while but won't do that again. On another note, there's also a 69 road runner sitting in the same area that could have received the same kind of damage. Hate having to store a customer's car here while he's waiting on parts etc. :(

@Kern Dog I know that sinking feeling when you see broken glass and start thinking 'why did I do that'. It's also a rpita to clean up a car after breaking that tempered stuff. I'm still finding small pieces of glass and the mess I had was much easier to clean up! Going to have to show that customer a pic of what happened to your car and that he needs to do something to protect it if he's going to leave it here long term because I can't afford to fix it if something happens to it......

Got to thinking when I nailed the patio storm door with the mower....nearly 20 years ago. That one was a surprise and now this with the shop's storm door with a weed eater. Lots of rain here lately and was weed eating the weeds that like to come up through the seam between the driveway and the shop's slab at the front of the overhead door. That door was closed but the pass through door was open and the storm door was held open with a wedge. Hate closing up the shop in the summer time even for a little while but won't do that again. On another note, there's also a 69 road runner sitting in the same area that could have received the same kind of damage. Hate having to store a customer's car here while he's waiting on parts etc. :(

@Kern Dog I know that sinking feeling when you see broken glass and start thinking 'why did I do that'. It's also a rpita to clean up a car after breaking that tempered stuff. I'm still finding small pieces of glass and the mess I had was much easier to clean up! Going to have to show that customer a pic of what happened to your car and that he needs to do something to protect it if he's going to leave it here long term because I can't afford to fix it if something happens to it......
Maybe I should keep your cars for you if a weed whacker is to powerful!!! :poke::lol:

I've washed the car several times since and there is no evidence of any leakage.
Score!

UPDATE:

When the window shattered, the MAVEN sticker I had was gone with it.

Maven 1.jpg

This was the name of the rock band my younger brother Chad was in. Being the sentimental type, I asked his Wife if she had another one of those stickers. She finally found one and....

Maven 2.jpg

B O O M ! I'm back!

Auto Transport Service
Back