• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few questions on 5.7 swap

The factory wiring harness mods, can anyone give me a good step by step write up? I have searched FABO and FBBO pretty extensively and can't find anything easy to decifer... DIYhemi does have some good info... Also has anyone used the drive-by-cable throttle bodies from BBK instead of a bellcrank?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Get a harness from Hotwire or modern muscle which has Hotwire harnesses. 1k everything labeled an easy to hook up.

Get a harness from Hotwire or modern muscle which has Hotwire harnesses. 1k everything labeled an easy to hook up.

I agree that would be the easiest... I am interested on what it takes to use the existing harness and potentially saving 1k...

About 15 hours and a FSM for your year engine. How much is your time worth?

If I could go back in time I'd probably try it myself. But I couldn't find the wiring pinouts I needed. In my case I say this because I'm now contemplating adding back in the speed sensor and cruise control inputs. If you find a manual please tell us where you found it.

I agree that would be the easiest... I am interested on what it takes to use the existing harness and potentially saving 1k...
I totally agree with you but once we got the motor an trans in. We had the whole motor wired in about 30min and started it. I hated spending a grand but the aftermarket harness was just to easy, worth it in my book. Still a lot of money.

I had the entire harness from an 07 Charger in my 70 GTX. By the time we hacked into it enough to get it to even run, it was worse than a ball of spaghetti! So I took it all out and rewired the entire car. I had transmission problems ...computer related as I used the NAG1 and I was WAAYYYY ahead of any aftermarket products that make this much easier today. Bottom line is, there is a BUNCH of crap in that factory harness you won't ever need and you will spend more time sorting it out than you will just installing a new harness. This old saying is appropriate here.."Pay yourself now, or pay yourself again, later" .

My 68 Charger has the A/C heater box. Way too big under the dash for the fly by wire gas pedal. No room between the heater box and steering column. My fix was to use the stock gas pedal and use the bell crank assembly from an 2004 Ram truck. Here are a couple pics showing the under dash area and the bell crank circled in yellow in the under hood pic. If you don't have air, you should have room for the fly by wire pedal. They are kinda ugly in my opinion but you will have to decide which way to go.

View attachment 394765 View attachment 394766

I'm running into the same issue with a 66 New Yorker. No room for the DBW pedal. We are just getting ready to order the Mopar Ecu kit and wondering if this kit is compatible with the BellCrank set up? I understand I may need to repin the "pedal" connector with the DIY HEMI kit.

The bell crank uses the same pin connector as the DBW pedal connector. Who ever you get the wiring harness from needs to know that to incorporate that plug to the engine compartment instead of the under dash area. I got my harness from Chris at Hotwire.

Auto Transport Service
Back