• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A " must have" locking gas cap ...

69SportSatellite

Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
This may be worth the price, and I'm not criticizing the seller in any way because I don't know how rare or desirable this item is. But, I think our hobby has gotten into a little trouble if a locking gas cap is a "must have" ...

On the other hand, does this fall under the "hard to find items" discussed recently? I'm these aren't visible. Can't imagine being at a show and getting dinged a few points just because a judge lifted the exterior gas door (or looked behind the license plate) and found this to be missing.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/5196161734.html

Chargers are easy to steal gas from back in the day, because of the location. These locks are very valuable, as they are made by Chrysler for a specific car. If I needed one, I would pay it.

The finished product, is in the details. And yes, if you have a Auto Zone gas cap at a good show....you'll be dinged.

They are handy, and when you have a car that valuable, then there is little choice.

I guess so ... as someone who is also restoring a rare vintage Mustang, I understand that. Lord knows the princely sums I've had to pay for rare parts. At least I bought the NOS hubcaps (back in 1995) when the dealer still had them available from Ford.

The old Mustangs are nice cars though, I always liked them.(65-66 Fastback)
I had a friend with a couple 69' hemi Chargers in 1983, that would go buy a NOS grille center from Dodge every two weeks for the Charger when he got paid. I bet he had 50 of them. Eccentric he was, and very wise.

A pretty pricey piece. But on a relative basis I've paid more for other parts for my Plymouth GTX because I couldn't find them and they were necessary. I guess Chargers have there issues with the cost of parts sometimes even more because of the challenges in getting them.

I lost track of him, but at last count he had eight 69' Hemi Chargers.(1992)

There's been a guy on fleabay who has been trying to sell one for a long time at that same price. I wonder if that's him? If you look around, you can find them between 40-75 bucks.

Our reproduction locking caps are $69.00.

They are definately a good idea for several reasons. Gas isn't cheap anymore.....so it eliminates a free source of fuel for the unscrupulous. It also eliminates the possibility of somebody dumping crud, or marbles, or sand, or sugar, or anything else in your tank.

Got mine for $65.00 thought it was pretty cool!

Attachments

• 0913151943a.jpg
    0913151943a.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 210
Has anyone installed this cap on a Charger? Do you need to remove the spring loaded seal on the flip top to make it close? It don't seem like there would be room for the added height to get the flip top to latch.

That cap fits down inside the filler tube. you need the spring loaded seal with that style cap.

Thanks C, I was wondering how they work. I thought it looked like they stick up above the top of the tube.

I suppose in this world of "its yours you have the right" I'll just say that for 175 I can buy a LOT of insurance. I dont want my car stolen but it seems excessive

Auto Transport Service
Back