• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a NICE 67 Coronet R/T on ebay

696pack,

I totally agree with you on your point that people SHOULD purchase the car they like, especially when it's an upper end, low production, large purchase priced vehicle. I also agree that as long as the changes that the new owner will be making to these kinds of rare cars are REVERSABLE and can be changed back to original factory specs, it SHOULD be up to the owner to build the car to his or her liking. After all, the large amounts of cash it takes to buy, build and maintain these classic cars DOES come out of the owners pockets. Personally, if I were to buy a very rare car, I would NOT change it from factory specs, but that's my right to do what's correct for ME, nothing more, nothing less.

Where I get into some VERY heated discussions with some people, is when they take a very rare car and hack it up to make it into a race car, customized car, or something else that will destroy the cars history and value forever. I ask they WHY they felt it was necessary to use such a rare car when they could have used a /6 or 318 powered car, that would have prodused the same results WITHOUT destroying a rare car. Their responce? F**K OFF, it's THEIR car and they will do with it as they please. :sad:

NONE of us are going to live forever, so in reality, we are ALL temporary custodian's of these cars, so if we destroy the rare cars that are so few in numbers, we denie future Mopar enthusiast's the excitement that we have had of seeing and owning these types of rare cars. Am I a STRICT purist? HELL NO! My 66 Coronet 500 is painted BRIGHT YELLOW and is powered by a 1969 440! As far as I know, there were NO factory built bright yellow, 440 powered 1966 Coronet 500's, but, NOTHING that's been done on my car can't be reversed if someone in the future want's to take it back to it's medium green, 361 powered factory equipped status.

In MY humble opinion, the guy's who hack up the really RARE cars, are just as bad, if not worse for our hobby, as the folks like Barrett-Jackson are, who are killing our hobby by driving up the prices of our cars and parts to a point where the TRUE enthusiast is no longer able to enjoy or AFFORD the hobby.

That's MY opinion, and I'm sticking with it!

Richard

Certainly isn't the color. That is a pretty nice looking car. Well done. The black and gold is a good combination.

I've seen countless auctions where they either have a ridiculous opening bid or "buy it now" and they get no bids. Scares people off.

Personally, I think 35 grand is to much for that car no matter what the color. As far as I'm concerned, the only way it's worth that is if it has 10 grand cash in the trunk

Certainly isn't the color. That is a pretty nice looking car. Well done. The black and gold is a good combination.

I've seen countless auctions where they either have a ridiculous opening bid or "buy it now" and they get no bids. Scares people off.

Personally, I think 35 grand is to much for that car no matter what the color. As far as I'm concerned, the only way it's worth that is if it has 10 grand cash in the trunk

69 runner,

It IS on the upper end for what a 67 Coronet is worth right now, BUT a couple of things that I was thinking about when I was looking at it, was the fact that the 66-67 B-Body Dodge's and Plymouth's still haven't seen the huge increase in value that the 68-70 B-Body cars have and even if they don't jump as much as the 68-70 cars have, they WILL get into the 40 to 50 thousand dollar range for really nice original big block cars and the original 66-67 Hemi cars are already quickly jumping in value, so maybe this 67 won't be as big of a gamble as some would think at this price. Back in the 80's and 90's, did you ever think that a 68-70 Road Runner would be worth as much as it is today? The only way that prices for muscle cars will go down, is if the economy stays as bad as it currently is for an extended time frame, or if the Barrett-Jackson crowd gets bored with our cars and move on to some other type of "investment" ventures.

The other thing that I was thinking about, is with todays prices for paint and body work, along with all of the MANY other parts and services that are required to restore a "project car" to the leval of this 67 Coronet R/T, could you do it for that price or less? It can be done as long as you're going to do most, it not ALL of your own paint and body work and your "project car" has all of it's original trim parts, grille and tail lights and all of the other parts that are difficult to find for the vehicle that you're building and all of those parts are in really good condition.

There also different types of folks in our hobby. Some aren't happy unless they build the car from the ground up, other enjoy doing some, but not everthing on their cars and some enjoy owning, DRIVING and maintaining their cars, rather than building them. I believe that this last type of person would REALLY enjoy a car like this and would not be able to pay a shop to build them a car as nice as this 67 R/T for less than the "buy-it-now" price.

Richard

Having owned driven, and built Mopars for more than 30 years, I'm well aware that pre 68 B bodies aren't worth what a post 67 car is. I had even considered looking for a 66-67 Hemi car because they cost so much less.

So I know you meant well, but I don't need a lesson on what they cost

But that is your OPINION. My 68 Hemi Charger R/T was the exact same color combination and I HATED it.

To me, that IS the very reason ther will be a very limited amount of people bidding on it.

There is a similar thread going on as we speak on Moparts. Look at what a member there has to say about it from a source that sell old cars for a living.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4623580&an=0&page=0#Post4623580

"Some friends here in town buy and sell high end cars all year round. Its how they make their living. They deal in all brands, but are technically Mopar guys.

I didn't believe them at first, but they've proved to me time and time again, High Impact colors are the way to go as long as they are dated/mated to the year. Even on a #'s car.

If you THINK your car will be sold to a true, hardcore #'s investor, then maybe you should go with the original color. If you want a bigger playing field of potential buyers, i'd change the color. And you have to realize that a Mopar buyer will scrutinize the most, a general car guy that likes cars could probably care less."

I don't think anyone here is trying to give another a lesson, just stating there thoughts. There are other people that are likely reading this thread that will never comment on any of it but are happy for the information.

I own both a 66/67 model and a 69 model. I track these cars for sale on a DAILY basis. The big reason that the 66/67 cars are not as popular as the 68 up cars is because with the exception of the 67 GTX with the stripe package and the more visible hood scoops than the R/T, they just blend in with the grandma cars of those years. The GTXs sell for more money than the R/Ts and I believe it is because of this scoop visibility and the stripe availability. BTW, the stripe on the subject car was never available from the factory but was an over the counter or aftermarket item.

Beginning in 68 the stripes and hood treatment became much more visible.

Regarding cutting up original cars for a race car, I agree to some degree, althought it IS the right of an owner to do what they want.
I am planning on selling my 66 Hemi car in the relatively near future. There are several reasons but one of the big ones is that I don't have the heart to put a roll bar in it. Although the car was purchased new to be a race car and that is all it has ever been, it was never tubbed, cut up, or had a roll bar or cage. With the times the car will run today, it will have to have a roll bar.

Hey, first of all I have NEVER claimed to know it all or anything close to it. I am here to learn as well as to offer what I DO know.

Second, I don't understand the point of your above post?

At first I thought that was Gary's car that he sold to Best of Show a few months ago for I believe $68K, but I see it is a different car. I did not read the entire ad, is there something you need to point out to me so I understand? What is it that you are trying to say about this car? Butterscotch IS a High Impact color. it appears to be the original color according to the fender tag info. Are you comparing this color to the Gold of the 67 subject car in this thread? The thing that I see that would throw up a red flag is that the V.I.N. is not listed and there is no PICTURE of the fender tag even though it lists it as showing A12 on the tag there is no other indiccator that it is a REAL A12. They should at least list a partial V.I.N. to show that it is an "M" code car.

Please explain what you are thinking about this car?

Let me keep it in as few words as possible so you will understand.

YOU say Gold color = No like

You say High impact = Like by many

High impact car listed = low bid = no sale

YOUR logic =:bs_flag:

I saw some things in the description for the car that raised some red flags for me.

1) Car only had 1 cosmetic repaint. Since when does a cosmetic repaint include the engine compartment?
2) Car is supposed to have underhood insulation, yet it doesn't exist, nor does it show any wear marks in the paint from vibrating around, nor does it show any markings where the clips were. (hence, the underside was painted as well.
3) No center medallion on the grille.
4) The DODGE stripe down the lower quarter.

The color? It's diffrent, but nothing can really be done with it. These cars never looked good with high impact paint on em I think. Now if they painted it red, it might have generated more interest.

The price. Barrett Jackson Fever should have subsided by now, unless they just did a re-run on Speed. As much as I love 66-7' Coronets, they are still the red-headed step children of the Mopar world, and will never bring the kind of coin the rest of the cars get (unless it's a 4 door 66 Coronet with that funky engine with wires coming out the valve cover)

Let me keep it in as few words as possible so you will understand.

YOU say Gold color = No like

You say High impact = Like by many

High impact car listed = low bid = no sale

YOUR logic =:bs_flag:

Using your logic, how do you explain the price that Gary's Butterscotch RR sold for? The two colors are WORLDS apart as far a old car colors go. Just for the record I also PERSONALLY think that the butterscotch color looks like the inside of a babies diaper, but to each his own with colors. Why don't you run a poll here asking what everyones favorite Mopar color is?

I saw some things in the description for the car that raised some red flags for me.

1) Car only had 1 cosmetic repaint. Since when does a cosmetic repaint include the engine compartment?
2) Car is supposed to have underhood insulation, yet it doesn't exist, nor does it show any wear marks in the paint from vibrating around, nor does it show any markings where the clips were. (hence, the underside was painted as well.
3) No center medallion on the grille.
4) The DODGE stripe down the lower quarter.

The color? It's diffrent, but nothing can really be done with it. These cars never looked good with high impact paint on em I think. Now if they painted it red, it might have generated more interest.

The price. Barrett Jackson Fever should have subsided by now, unless they just did a re-run on Speed. As much as I love 66-7' Coronets, they are still the red-headed step children of the Mopar world, and will never bring the kind of coin the rest of the cars get (unless it's a 4 door 66 Coronet with that funky engine with wires coming out the valve cover)

I agree with all you have said above.

You're kidding....right? Since when does a cosmetic repaint include the engine compartment? When WOULDN'T it? A cosmetic restoration is (by definition) a restoration of all cosmetic....including the paint. Ya skip all the hard parts. Brakes. Motor. Just the pretty stuff. And with a proper cosmetic restoration you shouldn't see any evidence of the under hood pad or clips. Anything less would be a halfass job. Same might be said for leaving off a medallion. Stripe on the quarter? I've seen that stripe before, but I don't remember if it ran the length or not.

You were the one stating the high impact colors were the ones that sold. The runner I referenced above is a high impact color. Butterscotch. So why didn't it sell? Why didn't it even bring as much as my car, which wasn't a high impact color, and needed a full resto? You know everything. So enlighten us or stfu.

I'm not sure why the 66-67 B-Body cars should demand any less respect than the 68 and up B-Body cars. The 66 B-Body cars were the first to be factory equipped with a 426 Hemi as a regular production line option and I also feel that the 67 WO23 and RO23 cars were and still are, fantastic cars AND they had a hood scoop! The 62-65 B-Body cars seem to also get MUCH less respect than they deserve and why is that? They kicked *** and took names on the drag strip with 413 and 426 Max Wedge engines. Do we only buy muscle cars for paint colors, stripes and hood scoops? Personally, I'd LOVE to own a "grandpa's car" like Jay Leno's 426 powered 4 speed 66 Coronet! As far as the looks of ALL of the various B-Body cars go, all I can say is this, looks are in the eyes of the beholder. I will say however, that it NEVER fails that when I take my 440 powered 66 Coronet with 3 inch exhaust out for a drive, or to fuel it up, folks will ALWAYS give me the thumbs up and ask questions about the car, so I'm not ready to sum my car up as a "grandpa's" car. :no: There were an awful lot of folks at the drag strip that I put on the trailer, that also respected the car. It will never be the "fastest" Mopar out there and also not the "coolest", but I love it and that's all that REALLY counts right?

The ONLY point that I've been trying to make on this thread, is that if you were looking for a NICE pre 68 B-Body and you're really not interested in having to restore a "project car" from the ground up, you could do a LOT worse than this nice 67 Coronet R/T . Is it perfect, no, but how many cars are?

Richard

Actually what I said was "You see this on these enthusiest sites all of the time where people talk about being sick and tired of the high impact colors and Black, Red or Blue, and enjoy seeing some of the odd combinations etc. The simple fact of the matter is that the vast majority of people STILL like the colors listed above and they sell quicker and for more money than the oddities. Many will also disagree but this is also true with cars that were ORIGINALLY painted a less desireable color and changed to one of the above colors." And then I referred you to a moparts post with a member that had more to say about it.

You have been around the hobby long enough to know that there are peaks and valleys. You know that we are in a valley right now. You also know that any car can sell for an extrodinarily high price at any given time, but seldom does a seller (especially a dealer) except a rediculously low high bid on an auction that simply didn't get a reasonable bid. Sometime there just aren't buyers on a given day that will do anything more than steal something if they can. YOU never responded to the price of Gary's car when I brought it up. Do you think the market has dropped 50% in 6 weeks on a like type car in the same color? Asnswer your own question. I also offered an explaination of why some people may have shyed away from the auction of the car you linked as it did not even list a partial V.I.N. for the car to PROVE it is a real A12 car.

BTW, I just noticed that you are a moderator here. Nice talk for someone representing the site to the public with your comment of "So enlighten us or stfu." and another similar one in another post.

I don't see anything wrong with pre 68 B bodies either. I'm very fond of the "V'd" C pillar on the 62-65 cars. Probably not the best body to house an 800hp monster, but they sure look cool.

Auto Transport Service
Back