• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A true survivor. Some help needed.

Again not available until 67 and then if ordered at that time, it would have come with the AM radio in dash and AM/FM package in the trunk for dealer to install because technically it was for a Coronet.
Another question though, may I ask where this car is located? There is a black survivor Hemi that has been for sale in town forever. If it is the same, (Central NY) I can send you pics because I've seen it.

Of course, after now thinking about this, this 1966 Charger might well have come with an EL AM radio and the original owner could have gone back to the dealer in 1967 after finding out there was an AM/FM radio that would fit (from a Coronet) right into the slot where the original EL AM radio would have been. If that is the case, I hope there is documentation as such to help maintain the provenance. It would even be better if somehow (if my presumption pans out about the switch) the original EL lit AM radio was still associated/kept with the car. Of course, others have indicated that I could likely (with some effort) source an original EL-lit AM radio somewhere and replace the aftermarket AM/FM to bring the car back to it's factory originality.

I have an original Charger AM radio. The friend I got it from took it out of a 66 so I assume is EL. I will pull it out and check if it is tonight. Interested? If so PM.

I have an original Charger AM radio. The friend I got it from took it out of a 66 so I assume is EL. I will pull it out and check if it is tonight. Interested? If so PM.
Hi RedBeard. I don't have the car yet so I can't say I am interested just yet. But there is a chance I may be. But I don't want to put the cart (or car...lol) before the horse until I know we (my son and I) would be buying this 1966 Charger. That's is not happening just yet until I get more information from the current owner...then of course, given that we want to buy it there will be the negotiation on the cost. ;)

Again not available until 67 and then if ordered at that time, it would have come with the AM radio in dash and AM/FM package in the trunk for dealer to install because technically it was for a Coronet.
Another question though, may I ask where this car is located? There is a black survivor Hemi that has been for sale in town forever. If it is the same, (Central NY) I can send you pics because I've seen it.
This car is currently in Arizona in a climate controlled environment. As I stated in the OP, it was acquired as a total consignment of a deceased car collector by yet another very wealthy car collector. The consignment collection consisted of (at least, so I am told) a series of "concourse" type cars and was in excess of a 7 digit figure for the acquisition. The acquirer of this consignment has a rather large collection of said concourse cars already. This 1966 hemi Charger "survivor" did not fit in with his overall collection, thus his willingness to part with it.

With that written, I would not mind the pictures. I also would love to hear what the price is being asked for on that survivor. It would at least give me some type of "real world" reference point. Thank you in advance.

Don

I'm looking for the pics. Again, keep in mind, it's unrestored except for maintenance and they did some goofy things under the hood as I recall.
He was asking some ridiculous price at one point, something like 50,000 or more if I remember correctly. You'd just be purchasing a numbers matching car with fender tag that needed everything.

I'm looking for the pics. Again, keep in mind, it's unrestored except for maintenance and they did some goofy things under the hood as I recall.
He was asking some ridiculous price at one point, something like 50,000 or more if I remember correctly. You'd just be purchasing a numbers matching car with fender tag that needed everything.
Okay...thanks for the added content. Yeah, two very different birds. $50K seems like a stretch if it is as rough as you indicate above. The car I am discussing here could well represent an N=1 when it comes to the Gen 1 Chargers. As such, I am pretty sure we (my son and I) will need to dig deep into our pockets.

1966 Dodge Data Book 1.jpg
1966 Dodge Data Book 2.jpg
1966 Dodge Data Book 3.jpg
1966 Dodge Data Book 5.jpg

Hello all....

I'm brand new to this group. I own an original 1966 Data Book (Showroom Sales Book). I posted the above images. 'Mopars & Missiles' already posted a image from this, I thought I would show additional pages confirming only one radio option.

Notice that the standard equipment doesn't even feature a radio. The 2 watt "Music Master" was it for 1966, and an option at that. This is why it is an option code on inner fender tags.

I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all (God knows I'm ALWAYS learning!), just trying to help!

Hello all....

I'm brand new to this group. I own an original 1966 Data Book (Showroom Sales Book). I posted the above images. 'Mopars & Missiles' already posted a image from this, I thought I would show additional pages confirming only one radio option.

Notice that the standard equipment doesn't even feature a radio. The 2 watt "Music Master" was it for 1966, and an option at that. This is why it is an option code on inner fender tags.

I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all (God knows I'm ALWAYS learning!), just trying to help!
Thank you for coming on my thread. That is a great book you have there and again, very useful information. And believe me, I for one would NEVER think of you as a "know-it-all" since I like you am constantly trying to learn. I think it is now well established that an AM/FM was not an option for the 1966 Charger. So the question begs as to how this particular car ended up with one and I hope to sort that out soon.

Hi RedBeard. I don't have the car yet so I can't say I am interested just yet. But there is a chance I may be. But I don't want to put the cart (or car...lol) before the horse until I know we (my son and I) would be buying this 1966 Charger. That's is not happening just yet until I get more information from the current owner...then of course, given that we want to buy it there will be the negotiation on the cost. ;)
Yep. Good luck. There was so much variation in these cars for 66 and 67 that we are all learning something in the process of owning one of these. All part of the enjoyment/fun of this first Gen model.

I don't see seat belts as an option. I think my 63 Fury had them, so...were they normally fitted? Thanks.

I don't see seat belts as an option. I think my 63 Fury had them, so...were they normally fitted? Thanks.
Seat belts were mandatory in 19966. ( Ralph Nader), also spinner caps, pointy radio knobs, and space ship Centers in the instrument panel disappeared in 1967. One of the reasons was in a serious accident those pointy things could hurt you. Spinner hubcaps could grab a women’s long scarf and choke her. I think that might have actually happened.

For 66 Chargers, an AM/FM radio was available but only as a dealer installed item. Not available as a factory installed radio.
If the fender tag is available, the # 1 or #2 under "R" would indicate which AM radio was factory installed. A 421 radio was cheaper and produced less output wattage than a 422 "astrophonic" radio.

So much concern over a radio? Seems like if one were verifying originality of a "Hemi car, the radio would be one of the last items of concern -- well, and maybe the little chrome door locks. There are too many other items to fret about in the numbers matching originality game. Distributor, alternator, ballast resistor, voltage regulator, third member, transmission, carburetors, brackets, fan shroud, power steering cooler, muffler hangers etc. etc. etc. Radios are easy replacements and easy to find.

My understanding is that all Air Conditioned Cars received "tinted windows" to assist in cooling. All A/C cars I've seen have tint all the way around. I've not seen a tinted car without A/C. I'm not saying they aren't out there. It doesn't seem like the tint (without A/C) was a popular option.

My understanding is that all Air Conditioned Cars received "tinted windows" to assist in cooling. All A/C cars I've seen have tint all the way around. I've not seen a tinted car without A/C. I'm not saying they aren't out there. It doesn't seem like the tint (without A/C) was a popular option.

I've seen a couple "West Coast" cars with tint and no AC. I even own one. You could order tint without having AC. I still get a kick out of a convertible with AC but you'll see one now and then.

So much concern over a radio? Seems like if one were verifying originality of a "Hemi car, the radio would be one of the last items of concern -- well, and maybe the little chrome door locks. There are too many other items to fret about in the numbers matching originality game. Distributor, alternator, ballast resistor, voltage regulator, third member, transmission, carburetors, brackets, fan shroud, power steering cooler, muffler hangers etc. etc. etc. Radios are easy replacements and easy to find.
My understanding is that all the items you mentioned are original to the car...it was/is a 16K mileage car that was kept in an environmentally secure facility. There are complete service records, though with such a limited number of miles on the vehicle those records are likely thin. Now, with that written, I have not personally seen the car. My son is headed to Arizona (where the car is located) next month so he plans to try and see it while he is there. Right now, I can only go by the information that has been provided to me from the current owner. I know...pictures...pictures...pictures. When I get them, rest assured, I will share them. I am not necessarily fretting over the radio, since as you wrote, they are fairly easy to find. Rather, I want to understand how it ended up with an AM/FM when the only radio available for 1966 was an EL lit AM. If my son and I are going to end up spending high 5 figures (or low 6 figures) for this car I think it is a small thing to ask about and to understand.

Not to knock the car down but I see a dual master cylinder which Wouldn’t be stock for a 66. Thanks for the picture.

Not to knock the car down but I see a dual master cylinder which Wouldn’t be stock for a 66. Thanks for the picture.
Thanks for the pick up. Would that dual master cylinder have anything to do with the car having power brakes, or would it still have a single master cylinder regardless of that? If it is not correct, then we will need to ask why that part is there. As I stated earlier, my oldest son will be in Phoenix next month on business and he plans to meet up with the owner and to see the rest of his collection of cars, which I understand is quite large.

Auto Transport Service
Back