• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A12 on Smokey Mountain Traders

The biggest “tell” (most likely done purposefully) is the “69 a12” on the 4th line up.

And, yes, this car has been thoroughly discussed on the lift off hood site

Its
68 engine WTF
NOT the original block. Very rare to find an A12 that does. Yes the tag is a repop. Trunk floors, interior floors lower corners have all been redone. Ive talked to him about it, last year (2019). Lowest he's willing to go at the time was $75,000. According to Hagerty insurance? It's worth $79,500 if totalled tomorrow. Very jard to find an ALL MATCHING A12. If you do? You're looking at over $100,000 easily. The one I own has been in my family since new. No buildsheet though. My father threw it away in 1987 when he repainted it the original V2 V2.

It sure looks like a sweet bee but you don’t know what they don’t know. The mechanics are not really discussed in the bio anyway. I figured it would go for the $75k by now. Seems to be priced fairly good. I’m surprised the 2 nd owner sold it for $60k to SMT. That would have really been the time to buy.

Any one here have any links as to how to replace the antenna on a 69 Coronet WITHOUT scratching up the fender? Is there a tool for that damn 4 slotted nut? Uuugh

$5 harbor freight spanner wrench.

Any one here have any links as to how to replace the antenna on a 69 Coronet WITHOUT scratching up the fender? Is there a tool for that damn 4 slotted nut? Uuugh
WTF this is a A12 site.

Car is 20 grand overpriced.
That’s why it’s been for sale for a long time

It sure looks like a sweet bee but you don’t know what they don’t know. The mechanics are not really discussed in the bio anyway. I figured it would go for the $75k by now. Seems to be priced fairly good. I’m surprised the 2 nd owner sold it for $60k to SMT. That would have really been the time to buy.

Yep, Devvin the owner WILL take $75K for it. Thats as low as he'll go. Hagerty Ins. automatically insures the V.I.N. for $80,000 no questions asked.

Hey Dan, I had my eyes on that car since last year. It was for sale in Upstate NY, but a bit far for a ride to look at during the shutdown. It sold recently, my guess is to Smokey Mountain Traders, and looks like they bought it to flip, as it sold for under $60K. Appears to be a Very Nice Car from the pics...
There is/was one in Upstate (Yorktown Heights)NY, V.I.N.272301, 4 speed originally 96 96 Bahama Yellow with NO vinyl top car. Guy owns a body shop paint business. Car is in VERY nice condition. I did go look at it. He was down to $65,000 on it at the time. Reasons I left it were:
#1. It's been repainted F8 Green (Never an A12 color)
#2. Now has a Vinyl Top)
#3. I found the guy impossible to deal with.
#4. Has a passenger side mirror (G31) and (M46) side scoops. No way to know if car was built WITH that RH mirror. The scoops? Ive always been told were a dealer item? Not sure on that, as there IS an option on the build sheet for "Quarter Scoops". And I'm not gonna spend another $10/$12,000 to repaint it back to OEM. He wanted $500 to show me the damn dash V.I.N.
Says he has THE actual buildsheet, but what you'll see has NO markings on it. At all.
I already have one. No need for the headache.

Dave Watt's A12 color spread sheet from 2018 shows 14 f8 roadrunners, and 7 f8 super bees registered.
I do agree though, much rather have the original butterscotch .

I agree with an earlier post that car is 20K over priced.
Its must have been pretty worn out. Lots of metal replacement.
Tag as mentioned is a joke
I didn't dive into the details
Does it have H Wheels, correct GY Polyglass tires, is the hood original, is the air cleaner assembly real.
Ignition......
69 RR A12 440-6 Auto 2.jpg
These are all high dollar items if you chose to get them.
For this price it should have all this.

There are plenty of better ones out there for this $.

These cars never have recovered from their high. It was common to see these cars at 125K and above for good cars.
I haven't seen many hit 100K for a long time (maybe at an auction where some guy had more $ than brains)

I use to be all over these cars 7 or 8 years ago when I had my A12 RR.

I think the asking price is in the range for a well done non matching numbers car. I agree that their advertised price is usually higher than what they will take. I'm sure they will come down. An actual example. I traded a 69 Barracuda formula S 383 4-speed, matching numbers car and another car for my 68 Hemi Dart. The guy is a dealer and immediately sold the other car. A year or so later he wanted to sell the Barracuda and ended up selling it to Smoky Mountain Traders and they advertised it for $52995 for over a year. I talked to the next owner who bought it from them. He told me personally that he paid 44K for it. View attachment 959691 View attachment 959692

Beautiful Barracuda.. Agreed as mentioned. SMT in Tennessee has some nice cars. I'd suggest anyone considering just WIRING away $60,000/$70,000 spend the money on a plane ticket FIRST. Or pay an inspector to go look at the car in question. A "Brush Painted" fender tag should be a "Stern Warning"!

I have the UTMOST RESPECT for all A12 cars, because of what they are, what they were in the era they were new in, how they perform, and they are beautiful!
Without the A12 there may have never been any V-Code cars, like my 70 V-Code Roadrunner.
My car is a much better way to have a 440 6bbl car FOR ME because of my price range when I was shopping, they were asking $58K if I recall correctly (I paid less), real V-code but 71 block, but all 6bbl rods, crank, pistons, stock bore, yada yada...
I have a couple of friends who are brothers and they both have 70 Roadrunners and "do the factory new" thing. That would make me crazier than I am. I like to do performance, handling, comfort, and some esthetic mods and if it was an A12, well, there would be no way.
My point is (other than to praise the A12 and in their own right V-Code cars) to say that a less than original A12 may certainly have a happy home, if the price is right and the buyer finds in that particular car what they are looking for. I guess if I had found an affordable A12 that was a long way from "correct" I may have given myself the same latitude that I have with my V-code, but it's more likely that I would have always either been pursuing a return to "original, as new, complete" versus being mindful of my V-code's unique pedigree and inherent value, but allowing myself to make it like I want it to be. Easier to do with a V-code than an A12 in my opinion, and because of what I want to do, a LOT more fun and no more or less expensive than the "quest for as new original". Maybe the OP can find an A12 or V-code that suits him.
I'm certainly blessed I found mine.
I just ordered U.S. Car Tools subframe connectors for my car. It's in the process of having a Wraptor serpentine belt and accessory system, Borgeson power steering, Vintage Air, Hydramax hydraulic throwout bearing and HitMaster launch control system, Wilwood 6 piston caliper 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock, Calvert split mono leaf springs and sliders, rear double adjustable Viking shocks (like the front are) QA1 K-member and front suspension system with SPC UCAs, Dakota Digital gauges, Assassin traction bars, Strange aluminum diff cover, and a high RPM/high HP&Torque compatible chromoly steel driveshaft, Strange 1350 chromoly steel pinion yoke and caps, Cold Case radiator all installed. I also put the deposit on a redesigned Bill Mitchell aluminum block that I'm building out to a 541 cu in appx 700 HP and torque boulevard bruiser mill.
It already has a Passon Performance a855 5 speed (I kept the 18 spline a833 as a backup), and I swapped out the 3.54 Track Pack gears for a set of 4.10s. The bench seat was sold, replaced by Scat Procar bucket seats, and I intend to buy a N96 style hood with a "power bulge" or cowl that is tall enough to accommodate the N96 airbox and scoop to replace the N96 hood I have now, which replaced the original NON-N96 hood. All of the "hood hoopla" is so I can run this Weiand 6bbl intake and have it fit underhood with the N96 gear.
20200531_142150.jpg

I have no shame doing this with my V-code that was some distance away from being "as new, original" when I got it, and BOY OH BOY is it a blast to drive, and in the next year or so it's going to be downright TERRIFYING to drive.
Bottom line, the "V" will always be in the VIN, so it will always have some degree of added value because of that.

Last edited:
Hey Dan, I had my eyes on that car since last year. It was for sale in Upstate NY, but a bit far for a ride to look at during the shutdown. It sold recently, my guess is to Smokey Mountain Traders, and looks like they bought it to flip, as it sold for under $60K. Appears to be a Very Nice Car from the pics...
Hi. If the one in NY was in YORKTOWN HEIGHTS? Its supposed to be F6 green, gorgeous car, but he painted it F8... I passed on it.

The first sign is the corner of the tag has never been bent. The factory attached the tag at one corner then bent it up to paint afterwards pushed it down and fastened the other corner with an unpainted screw.
99% of Lynch Road tags were NOT painted I was told many times? Could bee wrong I guess...

Auto Transport Service
Back