• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A12

Cool thread. I have a driver that I'm converting to an A12 clone but this is merely for external appearance not to win awards.

DSC00207.gif

I'll be keeping everything as is including the 383 4bbl.

Question:

How have some of you prepped, sanded, painted, and drilled your L.O. hoods if you have rebops? I want a realistic flat tone to the hood like the OG hoods but have yet to decide which hood to get from whom as I expect it to be near impossible and out of my price range to locate an original used A12 hood.

"R.I.P. Tadjou. You're missed."
Did I miss something?

He founded the MA Mopar club I'm in and died a couple of years ago from cancer. His Road Runner was sold, but his family ready to work on a Duster that he had.

Other than YO's fiberglass A12 aircleaner base (which I'm not too keen on), I know there's another company selling a better A12 steel base for roughly $1,300. Besides these 2 bases, are there any other repro A12 air cleaner bases out there cheaper than $1,300?

Mine is going to be a lookalike that can be driven for fun resto mod my way. Hood is a fiberglass repop and done was $1500 FYI But driving down the road with that hood is a blast, the looks you get are priceless. Especially from the cheby guys lol

IMAG0396-1.gif

IMAG0025.gif

th_VIDEO0023_zpsd093a4a6.gif

But driving down the road with that hood is a blast, the looks you get are priceless. Especially from the cheby guys lol
th_VIDEO0023_zpsd093a4a6.gif

You got it, Bigman, 'cept I don't want a 'thumbs up'. I want people to hide their women and children when they hear me comin.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the attention to detail of a true 'clone', but for me, I just don't get spending over $30k and years hunting down things like the correct 3 speed wiper motor. Mine's a 'tribute' and that's all it's gonna be cuz I loved A12's since I was a little kid but I'll be spending my cash and time driving the wheels off it - and scaring Chebby guys like my dad. :headbang:

The view of that scoop from the driver's seat is all I gotta know. :VB toast:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 376
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 353
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 368
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 389
You got it, Bigman, 'cept I don't want a 'thumbs up'. I want people to hide their women and children when they hear me comin.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the attention to detail of a true 'clone', but for me, I just don't get spending over $30k and years hunting down things like the correct 3 speed wiper motor. Mine's a 'tribute' and that's all it's gonna be cuz I loved A12's since I was a little kid but I'll be spending my cash and time driving the wheels off it - and scaring Chebby guys like my dad. :headbang:

The view of that scoop from the driver's seat is all I gotta know. :VB toast:

I agree and also why not leave those parts available for the guys that have a real A12 car?

If you go to a car show with your car the first thing the "guys in the know" will do is look at your V.I.N. or fender tag to see if it is real. Driving down the road no one can see these things, or if you have the original hood, air cleaner base or wiper motor. It is the look and performance of these cars that made them famous long before anyone was concerned with numbers.

I disagree. I've spent a lot of time, money, and energy researching and gathering original A12 parts for my '69 H- engined Road Runner that I am restoring as an A12 clone. I have original carbs, intake, air cleaner, hood, '69 date coded H rims, 440 engine, 18 spline trans, and dana 60 w/ 4.10 gears, not to mention 440 torsion bars and XHD leaf springs. I enjoy the hunt and I appreciate them being available. I consider myself lucky to have run across what parts I own. I have much respect for the cars and era they came from and I intend to restore each item to like new condition. Each part has a unique story to it and I have met so many good Mopar people like myself in my search for A12 parts. What I am building, moreover PRESERVING, regardless of whether or not my car says H or M in the VIN is an extremely well-known and highly respected piece of automotive history. A12's are a "legacy muscle car" and instead of trying to create a bias for who should get what parts, I really think that folks should appreciate the fact that we are all enthusiasts who just want a piece of this wonderful automotive history- the almighty A12. We all can't have them straight up original, so this is how it goes for the rest of us- budget and luck dependent.

I bought an original A12 air cleaner assembly off ebay for $2k. It was put out there for all the world to buy and I bought it. In my mind, any A12 owner looking for one had the opportunity to buy it before me- it was buy it now. I'm a MOPAR guy building a clone A12 and I bought it... a Ford guy could have bought it... a Chevy guy could have bought it. Hell, it COULD HAVE been bought by someone who would want to nail it to a wall in their garage... but I bought it for my ROAD RUNNER and it will be restored, cared for, and put on a car that it should be on and not on a wall as a trophy. Where's the crime?

Knowing how particular I am about parts and restoration standards, I'll be damned if I am going to pass on an A12 part on a hunch that someone could possibly take care of it better than I can. I am a lifelong Mopar enthusiast who has been more lucky in finding A12 parts than A12 cars. That's just the way it is. I suppose if I was a real A12 owner, I would be pissed more at myself for having a need for an original part and not looking hard enough to find it- because, they're out there.

And who's to say that me collecting original A12 parts is wrong? I just haven't found an original A12 car I can put them on yet!! In the meantime, they will look super on my H code bird.

I appreciate all of you on here whether you are original A12 owners or making a clone. I think the crime is passing off A12 tributes as original cars. It's not guys like me or anyone else here who are working with a budget to enjoy them as close to original as we can afford.

Sorry boys, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I can agree with that, I love the A12 cars even though my RR will just be a look a like on the outside to me it's a respected as close as I want to it to be tribute that is fun to drive. I had a 18 spline hemi box that I sold to a member here just for that reason I decide to only take my look a like to a certain point and then stop so the hemi box went to some one who needed it. For all you true A12 guys out there this is more of the ultimate respect from us to say hey wish we could have one but since we can't we can at least raise a glass to yours with a tribute.

I disagree. I've spent a lot of time, money, and energy researching and gathering original A12 parts for my '69 H- engined Road Runner that I am restoring as an A12 clone. I have original carbs, intake, air cleaner, hood, '69 date coded H rims, 440 engine, 18 spline trans, and dana 60 w/ 4.10 gears, not to mention 440 torsion bars and XHD leaf springs. I enjoy the hunt and I appreciate them being available. I consider myself lucky to have run across what parts I own. I have much respect for the cars and era they came from and I intend to restore each item to like new condition. Each part has a unique story to it and I have met so many good Mopar people like myself in my search for A12 parts. What I am building, moreover PRESERVING, regardless of whether or not my car says H or M in the VIN is an extremely well-known and highly respected piece of automotive history. A12's are a "legacy muscle car" and instead of trying to create a bias for who should get what parts, I really think that folks should appreciate the fact that we are all enthusiasts who just want a piece of this wonderful automotive history- the almighty A12. We all can't have them straight up original, so this is how it goes for the rest of us- budget and luck dependent.

I bought an original A12 air cleaner assembly off ebay for $2k. It was put out there for all the world to buy and I bought it. In my mind, any A12 owner looking for one had the opportunity to buy it before me- it was buy it now. I'm a MOPAR guy building a clone A12 and I bought it... a Ford guy could have bought it... a Chevy guy could have bought it. Hell, it COULD HAVE been bought by someone who would want to nail it to a wall in their garage... but I bought it for my ROAD RUNNER and it will be restored, cared for, and put on a car that it should be on and not on a wall as a trophy. Where's the crime?

Knowing how particular I am about parts and restoration standards, I'll be damned if I am going to pass on an A12 part on a hunch that someone could possibly take care of it better than I can. I am a lifelong Mopar enthusiast who has been more lucky in finding A12 parts than A12 cars. That's just the way it is. I suppose if I was a real A12 owner, I would be pissed more at myself for having a need for an original part and not looking hard enough to find it- because, they're out there.

And who's to say that me collecting original A12 parts is wrong? I just haven't found an original A12 car I can put them on yet!! In the meantime, they will look super on my H code bird.

I appreciate all of you on here whether you are original A12 owners or making a clone. I think the crime is passing off A12 tributes as original cars. It's not guys like me or anyone else here who are working with a budget to enjoy them as close to original as we can afford.

Sorry boys, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

To each his own.
If you have so much respect for the REAL A12s then why take REAL parts out of the market that someone restoring a REAL car could use?
If you are actively searching for a REAL A12 then that would be another story.

hell mines not even a 69

Mines a real 68 RR 383/727 not even a 69 with RB440, let alone a rare ultra 69.5 A12 440 6bbl RR... I don't care what anyone else thinks, it's mine & I build it, how I want it... Damn the purist's or elitist's, clone or tribute fans, they aren't working on or paying for anything, I am... I grew up in the era, were I had & drove many real ones, everyone almost always modified them, very few were ever left alone, usually all were raced & driven many times, they were just another used car... My current 68 RR resto-rod/pro-touring type thing, would drive, handle & perform circles around the real ones, all day long... That's what is important to me, Mine is just a fun driver toy, I'm not trying to fool anyone, hell it's a 68 to begine with, it has suspension, chassis, engine 383/479ci 6bbl stroker, cooling, plumbing, interior, exterior, cosmetic, body, upgrades, it's allot cheaper than a real 69.5 A12 {which I do love by the way, can't afford}, mines not anywhere close to being finished even, gets lots of looks, even from people that know better, I can drive it, without constantly worrying about it, ever go somewhere with someone who owns a real Hemi car or A12 they can't let it out of their site {rightly so}, when the car is finally out of it's temperature controlled garage...LOL.. Sorry guys... I usually always "blow the doors off anything or anyone who pulls up next to me too", real A12 or Hemi car or not, especially the Brand X guys...LOL... Have fun that's what it's all about anyway

Attachments

• 68 RR #15 Apr 26 2011.JPG
    68 RR #15 Apr 26 2011.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 328
  • 68 RR #18 Apr 26 2011 #1.JPG
    68 RR #18 Apr 26 2011 #1.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 352
  • 68 RR Steering wheel Jul20105.JPG
    68 RR Steering wheel Jul20105.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 353
If you can afford to buy REAL A12 parts for your car, clone tribute or the real deal, more power to you!!

I disagree. I've spent a lot of time, money, and energy researching and gathering original A12 parts for my '69 H- engined Road Runner that I am restoring as an A12 clone.

I here ya. I wasnt trying to hate on A12 clones, I do respect the attention to detail and flat dedication it takes. just sayin mine will never be anywhere near that.

If you are Building it to Drive, have Fun, and enjoy then build it for that reason. Most people at local car shows just come to look at nice paint, hear loud pipes, see classic muscle cars. Most don't know the difference between a 440 or a 273 let alone B-Body, A-body etc.Build the Car that you want to drive. Personally can't see spending extra Big $$$$ to build a Clone to Drive around.Remember no matter what you do to the car it is STILL a "CLONE" not an Original #s matching car.

Just My thoughts, I'm sure some won't agree

I agree..........well said.......

have an original a12 roadrunner here in texas. not matching numbers got with a warranty motor. one comment, there is nothing better than driving a 440+6 car. rr or bee. RM23M9A257114,r-4 auto on the floor,thanks,patti

- - - Updated - - -

nothing like an original car. have a RM23M9A257114,R-4,auto on the floor. goes real fast,patti

- - - Updated - - -

nothing like an original car. have a RM23M9A257114,R-4,auto on the floor. goes real fast,patti

mine is "kind of" a M code look alike. much cooler than a stock 383 RR IMO. i have a real air cleaner base but im a little afraid to put it on. too easy to steal since i actually drive this car. a Dana is the next thing, scored an A body unit but i've decided not to mini tub it so i guess i'll have to wait for a B body unit. yea its not real, but if it was i probably wouldn't hammer it or drive it nearly as hard. guess that could be a lie.... :happy7: between my pops and i we have the parts to clone it right, valve covers, heads, intake, date coded carbs, hemi box. really not a problem. just the fact that it'll never be a real M code, i don't see the point. rather make it my idea of what i'd probably do to a M code...lol
roadrunnerwinter2012017.jpg

photo7-1.jpg

photo8.jpg

have an original a12 roadrunner here in texas. not matching numbers got with a warranty motor. one comment, there is nothing better than driving a 440+6 car. rr or bee. RM23M9A257114,r-4 auto on the floor,thanks,patti

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I just bought THAT car.. ;-) Same W block in it.. Paint looks to be R4, (per fender tag).
A guy named Paul had it before me. Car runs like a Scalded Dog! This is my 4th A12, first 3 were WM23M9's..

Depends how for you want to go. Like mentioned the air cleaner alone will cost pretty much your initial budget. I actually have a ton of real A12 parts on my car. Hood, air cleaner (coolest piece IMO), 4.10 Dana. My dad has enough parts to build a correct looking RB for it and has offered them up a few times. I prefer my 499/512 with the mechanical six pack as i like to pound this car relentlessly. I did add some black steelies to the rear with drag radials and I plan to add 15x6 up front with redlines. I consider more of a “kinda looks like an A12” vs being a clone. Thing about it is, I’ve only ran across a very limited amount of people that actually know what an A12 is. And even less that have any idea what parts it should really have. So building an exact clone seems like kind of a wasted effort for the 5 people that will actually appreciate or know what it is over the next 10 years anyway. Build it how it makes you happy..

810D5524-6D1A-4DAE-A84C-453A99D09FCD.jpeg
6153A341-8131-440F-9C47-10E88FF9F5AF.jpeg

Depends how for you want to go. Like mentioned the air cleaner alone will cost pretty much your initial budget. I actually have a ton of real A12 parts on my car. Hood, air cleaner (coolest piece IMO), 4.10 Dana. My dad has enough parts to build a correct looking RB for it and has offered them up a few times. I prefer my 499/512 with the mechanical six pack as i like to pound this car relentlessly. I did add some black steelies to the rear with drag radials and I plan to add 15x6 up front with redlines. I consider more of a “kinda looks like an A12” vs being a clone. Thing about it is, I’ve only ran across a very limited amount of people that actually know what an A12 is. And even less that have any idea what parts it should really have. So building an exact clone seems like kind of a wasted effort for the 5 people that will actually appreciate or know what it is over the next 10 years anyway. Build it how it makes you happy..

View attachment 1325753View attachment 1325752
I’m with you... I’ve seen enough 318 Chargers to know they aren’t really different than my V code other than bolt on parts you could put on in your driveway. You’d need at least a stick welder for the skid plate. :D

Auto Transport Service
Back