• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 Gear Oil

Houle #382

Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone used Driven conventional gear oil 04530 in their 4 speed ( A833 ) tranny, or Redline MT90, had my tranny rebuilt and just wondering what is the best oil.
Thanks

I always use a quality, conventional non-synthetic 90W gear oil..
Others may argue about this but it was what both Jamie Passon & Brewer recommends....

Just my $0.02 :thumbsup:

I always use a quality, conventional non-synthetic 90W gear oil..
Others may argue about this but it was what both Jamie Passon & Brewer recommends....

Just my $0.02 :thumbsup:
I have found Driven Conventional for $13.13 a qt and it has great reviews so I'm kinda leaning that way.

I run 20W50 engine oil in mine...

The last thing you want in a 50+ year old 4 speed is synthetic, so at least you're partially on the right track. Otherwise in 3 months your post will be.. "why is my A833 leaking from the front input shaft and shifter lever shafts".

I have found Driven Conventional for $13.13 a qt and it has great reviews so I'm kinda leaning that way.
Check around Advance, AutoZone, Napa, Lowes, Walmart sell a gallon of their house brand for about $25..

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

jump to 11:20 for an oil test and talk.
he likes Driven.

Wayne at Brewers says to use sta-lube 24239 got a gallon at NAPA

You spend lots of time and money on the old cars, why dump some house brand generic stuff in your 4 speed. Use something a manual trans guy recommends.

I run the a non synthetic 80W/90 in my new Passon 18 spline per Jaimie's instructions.
If you're running the original bronze forks and synchros, non synthetic is recommended. If they are steel, use synthetic.

GL-4 oil. Sta-Lube 85/90 which can be obtained via any NAPA store.

The last thing you want in a 50+ year old 4 speed is synthetic, so at least you're partially on the right track. Otherwise in 3 months your post will be.. "why is my A833 leaking from the front input shaft and shifter lever shafts".
Why ? I rebuilt my A-833 seven years ago. No leaks.

From the Factory Service Manual :

Attachments

• MANUAL TRANSMISSION LUBE (1).pdf
    407.8 KB · Views: 80
I just put this in my 4 speed.
I got mine from Amazon but Walmart sells it.
1702553154682.png

Might as well add an other , what the hell. Pennzoil Sychromesh for trannys. Any and all work, but I don't like the leaks from synthetic. Dealing with that right now on a recent purchase, synthetic.

Synchromesh, no, just no.

The guy in the video who rebuilds rear wheel drive manual trans says don’t use any of the synchromesh fluids, they are ATF based and too thin for 60’s and 70’s manual trans.

Has anyone used Driven conventional gear oil 04530 in their 4 speed ( A833 ) tranny, or Redline MT90, had my tranny rebuilt and just wondering what is the best oil.
Thanks
I use

Mobil 1™ Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-90​

Supreme performance synthetic multi-purpose gear lubricant​

No rating value Average rating value is 0.0 of 5. Read 0 Reviews Same page link.

(0)
Write a review
Mobil 1™ Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-90

Mobil 1™ Syn Gear Lube LS is a supreme performance, synthetic, multi-purpose, SAE 75W-90 automotive gear lubricant designed to help meet the highest level performance requirements of modern passenger vehicles in all types of operating conditions including limited slip applications, as well as, deliver outstanding power transfer performance.
Compared to conventional hypoid gear lubricants, Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-90 performs exceptionally over a wide range of temperatures. Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-90 achieves this through a unique proprietary formulation, that deliver optimized viscosity-temperature properties together with the highest level of inherent formulation stability and helps to protect against thermal and oxidative degradation, wear and corrosion, viscosity loss associated with premature shearing. It also can be used in extended service and for aiding in fuel economy performance.
Buy Now
Ask technical

Applications​

• Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-90 is suitable for use in modern high performance automobiles like SUV's, Vans and Light duty trucks requiring API GL-5 level performance
• Mobil 1 Syn gear Lube LS 75W-90 is intended for initial fill, topping-off or refilling differentials, final drives, transfer cases and other gear applications where lubricants meeting API Service

Properties and Specifications​

Property
GradeSAE 75W-90
Density, g/ml, ASTM D12980.859
Flash Point, Cleveland Open Cup, °C, ASTM D92150
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44514.6
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 C, mm2/s, ASTM D445103
Pour Point, °C, ASTM D97-39
Viscosity Index, ASTM D2270146
I've used this for 30 +years...NO DEGRADATION TO SYNCHRO SLEEVES, TEETH, SHIFTING FORKS OR SEALS. Smooth shifting......it does NOT deteriorate brass.....but use what you like.....just my opinion...
BOB RENTON

Manual transmissions require an oil with a API GL-4 rating.
The Mobil 1 SYN gear Lube LS 75W-90 has a API GL-5 rating which is good for hypoid gears, like the ones in differentials.
Do not use a GL-5 rated oil in manual transmissions.

Yeah, use what you want. The Pennzoil Sychromesh has been fine in mine for years, besides, Chrysler actually used ATF in manual transmissions in cold climates. It worked just fine. Will get 101 opinions here, use what you want and it will be fine.

Totally agreed....
Use whatever gear oil U want...
But for me...
I leave it up to the recommendations from Jaime Passon and Dan/Wayne Brewer, these guys know more about our A-833s than anyone else..

Just my $0.02.... :thumbsup:

Totally agreed....
Use whatever gear oil U want...
But for me...
I leave it up to the recommendations from Jaime Passon and Dan/Wayne Brewer, these guys know more about our A-833s than anyone else..

Just my $0.02.... :thumbsup:
Just for an additional talking point.....what air do you use in your tires? Or....are you like the commercial air lines and use nitrogen to prevent ozone deterioration of the rubber compounds? ???
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back