• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 leaking oil around reverse detent housing

Beekeeper

It’s a disease without a cure!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score
This is aggravating! I rebuilt my A833 gearbox and used all new gaskets from brewers and I filled it with oil and there’s a dang leak around the reverse detent housing to case gasket. So now drain all the oil back out to remove the sucker and try to figure out how to be certain it’s sealed this time. I used the gasket that brewers sent for it not sure why it’s leaking the mating surfaces looked smooth with no gouges or scratches.

This is aggravating! I rebuilt my A833 gearbox and used all new gaskets from brewers and I filled it with oil and there’s a dang leak around the reverse detent housing to case gasket. So now drain all the oil back out to remove the sucker and try to figure out how to be certain it’s sealed this time. I used the gasket that brewers sent for it not sure why it’s leaking the mating surfaces looked smooth with no gouges or scratches.
Make sure the bolts are not bottoming out.

Make sure the bolts are not bottoming out.
The side cover isn’t leaking nor is any other gaskets just the detent ball and spring holder gasket the detent spring retainer bolt isn’t leaking either Just the holder where it screws into the case.
2ECF4984-9000-4B4B-9DA0-D7AA439DB13F.jpeg

Last edited:
I use a Copper washer in that spot, Auto parts or Hardware store should have it, they use them alot on oil drain plugs. Copper is soft and i have had great results sealing....

I use a Copper washer in that spot, Auto parts or Hardware store should have it, they use them alot on oil drain plugs. Copper is soft and i have had great results sealing....
Thanks that’s a great idea!

I had a 833 that the vent in the tail shaft housing was not drilled. And it was always leaking when warmed up. I found this out later when I had it apart for a different problem.

I recently installed a A833 that was pulled and had been sitting since the late seventies. My 'slow leak" turned out to be the reverse switch itself. I guess the metal case to plastic switch seal deteriorated over time allowing the warm lube to come thru it. New switch was the cure.

I had a 833 that the vent in the tail shaft housing was not drilled. And it was always leaking when warmed up. I found this out later when I had it apart for a different problem.
I rebuilt the trans and the vent tube is clear this thing started leaking before I ever ran it.
I recently installed a A833 that was pulled and had been sitting since the late seventies. My 'slow leak" turned out to be the reverse switch itself. I guess the metal case to plastic switch seal deteriorated over time allowing the warm lube to come thru it. New switch was the cure.
The reverse switch is new from brewers and not leaking

The side cover isn’t leaking nor is any other gaskets just the detent ball and spring holder gasket the detent spring retainer bolt isn’t leaking either Just the holder where it screws into the case.
View attachment 1309364
Something is not right about this picture. The reverse fork in the A833 doesn't go threw the cover plate. It goes threw the case below the reverse shift fork callout. You have circled the reverse switch location and then said it was not leaking. If I remember correctly the reverse shaft has a case cut recessed slot cut for an O ring seal. But it has been many years without taking one apart.

Something is not right about this picture. The reverse fork in the A833 doesn't go threw the cover plate. It goes threw the case below the reverse shift fork callout. You have circled the reverse switch location and then said it was not leaking. If I remember correctly the reverse shaft has a case cut recessed slot cut for an O ring seal. But it has been many years without taking one apart.
That is not the reverse switch location that is the reverse detent ball and spring assembly hole the reverse switch is above that hole. The flat on the reverse lockout lever at the thumb in the pic is what contacts the reverse switch the hole for it is circled in yellow.
CBCF412A-95F0-43C2-82A0-79839BEEA466.jpeg

Last edited:
That is not the reverse switch location that is the reverse detent ball and spring assembly hole the reverse switch is above that hole. The flat on the reverse lockout lever at the thumb in the pic is what contacts the reverse switch the hole for it is circled in yellow.View attachment 1309444
Copper washer and maybe some thread sealer.

I always put a dab of pipe sealer paste on the threads. It also works as lubricant to keep the washer from tearing.

Gus

Auto Transport Service
Back