• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

About military working dogs

Gone

Local time
7:11 AM
Reaction score
'Special breed of courageous': Delta Force operator hails valor of military dog wounded in Baghdadi raid
by Russ Read
| October 27, 2019 10:27 PM

chased Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi into a tunnel and cornered him. With no place to go, the terrorist leader blew himself up along with three of his children, who he was using as human shields. The dog’s injuries highlighted the importance of military working dogs in special operations. Often, they will enter the danger zone with a camera on their backs before the humans do so.

"The dog is a war veteran and a valued member of the team," a currently serving soldier assigned to Delta Force told the Washington Examiner. The soldier did not provide details, pending permission from the dog's handler and chain of command. Everyone involved in the mission is being debriefed and is out of communication for the time being, the soldier said. Within the community, he says, "The injury to the dog is an injury to one of us. These dogs are a special breed of courageous."

Military working dogs are essential teammates for U.S. soldiers, especially in the counterinsurgency and counterterrorism operations that followed the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. But the dogs used by the military’s most elite units are elite themselves. Like their human counterparts, they are hand-picked to serve in units like Delta Force, the Army Rangers, and the Navy SEALs.

In the May 2011 Navy SEAL raid in which al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed, a Belgian Malinois dog called Cairo flew into Abbotabad in Pakistan on a Black Hawk. Cairo, four SEALs, and a translator were used to help secure the perimeter around the compound while six other SEALs stormed the building.

The multipurpose canines, usually German shepherds or Belgian Malinois, are capable of a variety of tasks, including attacking the enemy and bomb-sniffing. They are often the first into the breach in a fight, giving them special significance among the special operations forces with which they operate.

The Belgian Malinois is the breed of choice for many units. These stocky dogs are essentially a smaller version of a German shepherd, making them ideal for parachuting and fast-roping out of aircraft. Their shorter coat is also well-suited for hot environments such as Iraq or Afghanistan. The breed has been so prominent in recent wars that the Special Operations Force Dog Memorial in Fayetteville, North Carolina, features a bronze statue of a Belgian Malinois.

“The dog holds one rank higher than who’s handling them because that’s how valued they are as a team member,” Deborah Scranton, a filmmaker who directed the documentary War Dog: A Soldier’s Best Friend, told the Washington Examiner.

Traditionally, the dogs hold the rank of a noncommissioned officer. They outrank their handlers as a way to prevent mistreatment, according to the U.S. Army.

“That's out of respect," Army Sgt. 1st Class Regina Johnson, operations superintendent at the Military Working Dog School, told Linda Crippen of the Army’s Training and Doctrine Command. "I see it all the time, especially in these young handlers. They make the mistake of thinking they're actually in charge. You've got to tell them, 'Hold up. That dog has trained 100 students. That dog is trying to tell you something.' I think the tradition grew out of a few handlers recognizing the dog as their partner."

The bond between handlers and military dogs is strong. Handlers are known to sleep in kennels with their dogs in order to gain their trust. Many of the dogs go on to live with their handlers after they are retired from service, though until 2000, older dogs were considered “surplus equipment” and were euthanized instead of put up for adoption. Today, handlers are prioritized in the adoption process and several organizations exist to help place them in homes where they can live out their retirement.

Incredible story, even more incredible 4 legged soldier - thanks for sharing.

Military working dogs are 100% dedicated to God, Country, and Mission, God Bless them all!

231232.png

What makes me sad about military dogs is their life after they work. What if their human buddy can't adopt them:(

What makes me sad about military dogs is their life after they work. What if their human buddy can't adopt them:(

It's becoming more common that their handler does get reunited with the dog after they leave the service to live out the remainder of their lives . . .

I think that's awesome - for both of them

Met one of these dogs once, in Iraq. Had landed at a very remote trigger camp, after prolonged mission work involving close air support of a combined Ranger/Spec-ops ground mission, and wandered into a make shift mess tent for some coffee where the only other occupants were a Ranger SFC and his dog. It was one of those Belgians. I didn't get more than a foot in the door before that good dog sat up and laser focused on me. Of course, I froze. The guy whispered something to it and it laid back down and ignored me. We had a nice meal and coffee and the dog let me pat his head. Impressive animals.

They don't miss a thing. For somebody with kids, the Belgian family of dogs, Malinois, Tervuren, Gronendale, and Lakenois, are wonderful.
The breed standard is: Never aggressive, but never timid. They are interested in every damn thing their owner is interested in. If they don't follow from room to room, it's because they know where you are and what you are doing. At this second, mine came in from a nap, plopped down in the computer room doorway and is watching me. I know what he wants, but we are still an hour from the dog park.
It's funny, they are as devoted as any dog, but the way they watch kids makes moms nervous. They have a laser focus stare, but it is curiosity, waiting on the next adventure, not being on alert.
The down side for some is the extreme amount of energy some of them have. Called "fire", it can be tiring at times. When they have a lot of fire, Sit means their butt bounces when it hits the floor and Down means drop like their legs were pulled from underneath. The Gronendals were first used by US Military in WWI. They delivered messages through the trenches, carried munitions, and did guard duty. Nobody can sneak up on you with the things around and they instinctively run in circles of whatever they are watching, sheep or man. Service men brought them back and they were as popular as GSD's are today. ... and that stare, it makes moms nervous, but it's pure love.
I couldn't see traffic at an intersection because mine was spinning circles on the seat. I told him: SIT DOWN! so he sat down and proceeded to skim his butt back and forth and spin on the pickup seat. Technically, he did what I asked, but made it his own. That's when I started calling them four legged lawyers.

Auto Transport Service
Back